WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Tag I'm thinking about buying from a friend of mine but would like to know a little more about it before I commit. I went to my local Tag dealer today but they are closed for the next two weeks for vacation!

From what I've read online I think it's a early 90's 2000 series. My buddy said he bought it new about 20-25 years ago, but that was all he could remember. On the back of the case it has 973.006 R-2 and it has a 6 digit numerical serial code engraved in it (not the newer alpha-numerical code). It also 300/81 cast into one of the lugs.

My main questions are what model is it, and whats the value...roughly??

One other question...The battery was dead, and had been for some time, so I took it to my jeweler (not a Tag dealer) for a new battery. When he put the new battery in, the watch started skipping 5 seconds at a time. He told me that was usually what watches do when the battery is getting low, but this battery is brand new. It did this periodically for a few minutes but has run fine since. Any ideas why it would do this? Like I said above, I would have just asked my local tag dealer all these questions, but they're closed for the next weeks.

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
There's a guy on another forum that buys these things for his nieces and nephews ages 6 through 12. It's a quartz watch that's over 20 years old so don't pay a lot. Check eBay's completed listings for similar TAG watches that have actually sold - the price will be in GREEN and not RED.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
50 to 75 USD
Really? I was thinking a little higher than that. I know it's nothing fancy but still.

There's a guy on another forum that buys these things for his nieces and nephews ages 6 through 12. It's a quartz watch that's over 20 years old so don't pay a lot. Check eBay's completed listings for similar TAG watches that have actually sold - the price will be in GREEN and not RED.
Yeah I've been checking eBay's completed listing but it's hard to find this exact model and I don't know enough about the different variations to know what could considered close enough. Everything I've seen has been around $90 for something in pretty rough shape to around $200+ for one in pretty good shape.

Is there anything I should worry about with it being that old of a quartz movement...other than the fact that it's nothing fancy?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.