WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6000 series that I bought new in 97 and have had no problems with it until last week. I noticed after doing some snorkeling last week that it had moisture inside and then the hands started discoloring from the salt water and then a couple of days later it stopped. When I got home I took it to an AD and it needs a new dial and hands and a complete service. I'd like some opinions from everybody on here to see if you think it makes sense to spend the money to fix it since the value of these are not a whole lot more than what it's going to take to repair it and it seems one big problem with this watch is the band breaking (which hasn't happened yet) and that will be very expensive to replace too.

Estimate:

Due to the water damage we will need to service the watch along with replacing the dial & hands.
Complete service $210
Hands $50
Dial (Silver) $260 Not in stock (Order from TAG)

Total $520

We have two TAG dials (blue or white), in stock which we can fit @$130 each.
If you go ahead with this option the total cost of the repair is $390.

I have the silver dial and really like it. I don't like the white but I can live with the blue if it makes more sense financially.

Any help will be appreciated.

Jeff

·
Registered
656 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I might only fix the watch if it has sentimental value, otherwise I'd put the $520.00 towards something new. I'd then take about $100.00 and buy a Seiko diver that I could expose to salt water without worry.

·
Banned
1,216 Posts
For $520 I'd buy something else or put it aside and save.

For $390 I would fix it, but if you don't like the blue dial (I love it) then its not worth it to you is it?

·
Registered
520 Posts
For $390 I'd spring for the blue dial & refurbish, assuming that includes a good cleaning & polishing of case, and the case is in good shape. At that point you will have a "like new" watch with receipts for all the work, at a good enough price that if you really don't like the blue dial, can sell it for at least what you have into it. I'm not sure, but I suspect the blue dial is more popular for resale anyway, and to just toss the investment you already have in the watch seems a shame.

·
Banned
1,216 Posts
Clifford Moore said:
For $390 I'd spring for the blue dial & refurbish, assuming that includes a good cleaning & polishing of case, and the case is in good shape. At that point you will have a "like new" watch with receipts for all the work, at a good enough price that if you really don't like the blue dial, can sell it for at least what you have into it. I'm not sure, but I suspect the blue dial is more popular for resale anyway, and to just toss the investment you already have in the watch seems a shame.
Those are good points

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Well you've worn it about 15 years. Is this the first service? If so, and you really like it, the price for repair is not that much considering another 10 years or so of wear. You're taking about a small difference when you look at it over the years, so if you really like it, and plan to wear it a long time, go with what you like best.

Seeing as you said "I can live with the blue" tells me you're not crazy about it. If you're going to spend $390 to get "just ok" spend the extra $130 and get what you want. Otherwise you're going to regret it, trust me.

If you've been 'looking for an excuse' to buy something new, then I'd scrap it, sell it for parts (case & bracelet) and get something new.

I'd then take about $100.00 and buy a Seiko diver that I could expose to salt water without worry.
Take a Seiko into salt water after 15 years without a service not gasket & seal replacement & you're going to be worrying about that watch too. :001_unsure:

To the OP, this is a good reminder how watches that go into the water MUST be checked at least every couple years to make sure the seals are good. A WR check is not that expensive (usually $20-25) and it'll at least tell you if the watch is safe to get into the water with. If not you can replace the seals or just wear it on land.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the comments from all of you. I haven't had the watch in for a service for at least 5 years so it's my fault that this happened and won't make that mistake again for sure. I just got off the phone with the AD repairman and he has assured me that the movement hasn't been damaged and the bracelet is in very good shape so with that in mind he suggested that I come by and take a look at the blue dial and see if it helps me make a decision on which way to go. As has been suggested it will be like having a new watch so maybe that's the way I should proceed.

When I asked him about the integrity of the bracelet he said not to worry so much because if it fails they normally just replace a link or two and avoid replacing the whole thing. Is this true? If so, I won't worry so much about it. I wear this watch most of the time and he just suggested that I don't wear it too tight on the wrist and it should last a long time.

Thanks again for the help,
Jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts