WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in buying a Omega branded watch. The question is after the warranty period, can I bring my watch to a watchmaker to get it fix/ service?Or Watchmakers cannot fix a watch because of limited parts. Do you have to return to Swissland?:confused1:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too Expensive....

Only Omega Authorise Service Centre can do the job? Abit pricey.
Wht about just any watchmaker? Can they get parts?

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
for all of the latest Omega watches probably not, unless the watch repairer has an account with Omega in order to purchase parts.

anybody else would be buying stuff in the "grey" aftermarket parts area.

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
If the movement is based on an ETA caliber (like an Omega 1120) then any watchmaker should be able to do the job in most cases. If it's a new 9300 or 8500, then only fully trained watchmakers who have been through co-axial training and have Omega accounts can do the work.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Omega 1120........

Do you think The Omega 8500 is less acurate movement since it beats at a slower rate?:confused1:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is the COSC spec on accuracy? -3+5 sec day.................
Is that what we base on, for accuracy??

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
COSC Standard........

As Ulackfocus said,
The bar set by COSC on accuracy is not very high. Any good watches can be adjusted & regulated to run COSC accuracy. Or even higher, better than -4/+6sec a day set by COSC.

If any good watches can be adjusted to achieve that, what is the benefit of spending more money buying a luxury watch?:confused1:

A well regulated ETA 2892 watch at $1000 is the same as a Rolex Sub 3135 at $8000. The $1000 2892 watch is as accurate, as tough and durable.

The truth is that the value of a watch is entirely emotional. Any penny spent over $200 on the price of a watch is buying you only more jewelry value and greater emotional satisfaction in having something more unique, more expensive--nothing more.

WTF members, what makes you want to spent more money buying a more expensive watch? Accuracy, durable, better looking watch..............or because its a OMEGA, ROLEX brand jewelry nothing about watches(keeps accurate time)

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
You can shoot a picture of boats in a harbor with a nice camera and it will be more detailed than an impressionist painting..... so why is somebody willing to pay millions for a Monet?

We spend more money on watches for the same reason somebody buys a BMW instead of a VW, a pair of Allen Edmonds instead of Bostonians, or Maui Jim over Neff - because we can and we appreciate more than just the cold statistics of numbers.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
You can shoot a picture of boats in a harbor with a nice camera and it will be more detailed than an impressionist painting..... so why is somebody willing to pay millions for a Monet?

We spend more money on watches for the same reason somebody buys a BMW instead of a VW, a pair of Allen Edmonds instead of Bostonians, or Maui Jim over Neff - because we can and we appreciate more than just the cold statistics of numbers.
Exactly. The fact is, in terms of timekeeping, a $20 quartz will likely outperform a $20,000 mechanical. But, the fit between the band and case will be sloppy, the materials will be uninspiring, the second hand won't line up with the tick marks on the dial, and it will last several years and then be trash.

By paying more, we (hopefully) get a magical little machine that lives on our wrist which we take enjoyment from looking at and seeing all the little details, and can give to our children, who can give it to their children.

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
WTF members, what makes you want to spent more money buying a more expensive watch? Accuracy, durable, better looking watch..............or because its a OMEGA, ROLEX brand jewelry nothing about watches(keeps accurate time)
One other thing - lesser watches simply do not have this kind of attention to detail (VC caliber 1400):

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A $20 Toy for the Wrist.............

Exactly. The fact is, in terms of timekeeping, a $20 quartz will likely outperform a $20,000 mechanical. But, the fit between the band and case will be sloppy, the materials will be uninspiring, the second hand won't line up with the tick marks on the dial, and it will last several years and then be trash.

By paying more, we (hopefully) get a magical little machine that lives on our wrist which we take enjoyment from looking at and seeing all the little details, and can give to our children, who can give it to their children.
I don't call a $20 watch a watch. It's a toy.

We will use a better example. Say a $600.00 Steinhart Ocean 44 running a ETA 2893 GMT. It's a good quality watch. And a very accurate, reliable mov't. With a bit of TLC, I don't see why I can't use it as a family heirloom.

Or spent more and get a $8000 Rolex Sub 3135. This is no way a better watch. More Accurate??:confused1:
If I want accuracy, I'll go for a quartz. As you know a Quartz mov't will smoke the rolex 3135 on accuracy any day.

Last longer? I see the cheaper 2893 watch will last just as long.

More detail?? Yes, the Rolex is more detail. But you can't see it. Only the front dial you can see the detail.
But the extra work is not worth $7000 more.

The only thing I see a difference is the Rolex is more unique. Unique because it's a $8000 watch. Same as a $200,000 Patek. It's got a unique price tag.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Status Symbol................I want it

One other thing - lesser watches simply do not have this kind of attention to detail (VC caliber 1400):

$200,000 Patek. Who is going to say I'm buying because its more detail.

More like, look a my watch!!! It's a $200,000 Patek............
or
Who is that guy with the $200K watch:001_tt1::drool:

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
Calm down 9pm. Enjoy the hobby, don't try to analyze or justify too much about it. There's a world of difference between a Rolex Sub and a Steinhart Ocean, not limited to price. If you don't see it, you don't see it. Buy whichever of the two makes you the most happy. You're likely to get people riled up here saying there's little difference between an inexpensive watch and an expensive watch.
By saying a $20 watch is a toy, aren't you also buying into the belief that more expensive means better quality - the point you were arguing against yourself in your posts? :glare::001_tt2:.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gettin too Serious..........

:lol::lol::lol: .......... I'm still new to the hobby.

Yes, $20 to about $1000 is buyin quality. I can see the difference between a $20 hello kitty n a $4000 piece.

What about a $4000 Omega to a $200,000 Patek?:confused1:

The Omega co-axial 8500, Rolex 3135 and the Seiko Spring Dr mov't are pretty much the best movement. Is there any better mov't? In terms of accuracy, durable and etc.:001_tt1::huh:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
BMW M3 6Cyl turbo..........

We use a BMW M3. One reason why I would spent more.
The engine produces some 400kw of power. 0-60miles under 5secs
And that is a fast car. Surely it consumes alot of petrol. Consumption: 100km - 6litres. How can such a fast car consume so little fuel. Thats why I buy a BMW and not a VW> Engineering........ + good looks:001_wub:

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
But the extra work is not worth $7000 more.
To YOU. If you don't get it, then no amount of explaining it will help. Be happy with your Renvictas and stop poking the beehive with a stick.

.... unless you're looking for trouble, in which case I can help.

We use a BMW M3. One reason why I would spent more.
The engine produces some 400kw of power. 0-60miles under 5secs
And that is a fast car. Surely it consumes alot of petrol. Consumption: 100km - 6litres. How can such a fast car consume so little fuel. Thats why I buy a BMW and not a VW> Engineering........ + good looks:001_wub:
But a Toyota can do the same basic job of getting from point A to point B, AND do it more fuel efficiently. So a BMW is NOT worth the extra $25,000.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.