WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Datejust #1601 is from 1972. The bottom of my dial says "Swiss" Has this dial been replaced with a newer one or was it possible to have this dial in 1972? Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked at it closely

Arthur

I am visually impaired so I must magnify everything to read it. I have a closed circuit TV magnifier. I looked at the watch again under high magnification, it is not T Swiss T, but Swiss only. Even though the receipt is from Parry Jewelers, they send all their Rolex watches to Nesbit Jewelers in Seattle, WA. who are well know for their Rolex service. I spoke with them and they said they performed a full service and replace the plastic crystal, but did nothing withe dial. They said it appears to be original.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Arthur

I am visually impaired so I must magnify everything to read it. I have a closed circuit TV magnifier. I looked at the watch again under high magnification, it is not T Swiss T, but Swiss only. Even though the receipt is from Parry Jewelers, they send all their Rolex watches to Nesbit Jewelers in Seattle, WA. who are well know for their Rolex service. I spoke with them and they said they performed a full service and replace the plastic crystal, but did nothing withe dial. They said it appears to be original.
I made a very good buy on the watch for considerably less than the listing price. It is beautiful and keeps typical Rolex perfect time.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
"Swiss" or "Swiss Made"

While researching this on the web I founf that for a watch to have SWISS or SWISS MADE on it, it had to have been made and assembled in Switzerland. My Jubilee bracelet says Swiss Made also. As far as the bottom of the dial Wikipedia describes it exactly. Must be all capitals,slpit by the six o clock marker, and curved. Not all components apparently are always made or assembled in Switzerland for Rolex. If this is correct, it is something I did not know. I found several mod#1601 watches on ebay with either SWISS or SWISS MADE at the bottom of the dial at 6 o clock.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
still working on it

I am not going to be able to get a photo until tomorrow evening. What little information I have found, it is completely possible to have just the word SWISS on the bottom of the dial on a 1972 model. I also have seen vintage 1601's with open 6 and 9 as well as closed 6 and 9 in the date window. Were they both used?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks good to me, great buy
I agree. It just does not make any sense to me why a dial would be replaced by an earlier one. I have shown the watch to one jeweler and was told that it appears original. I will hopefully get a picture posted tonight.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
From what I could see, the dial looks to be the correct..and an early dial.
I looks to me that it is a T Swiss T dial.

Arthur
Arthur and all, I think I have solved the mystery. I have been advised by a long time Rolex collector that my TT Datejust with the dial that has "coffin" markers(sticks) at 6 and 9 o clock should say only SWISS at the bottom. I will still get a picture.

I should also introoduce myself. My name is Rob. I am a retired commercial pilot. I still have a 1977 GMT Master 1675 that I bought new. I kept all boxes, booklets and warranty.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi All

I haven't forgotten the photo. I had to get a new camera, and since I can;t see it very well I am trying to learn how to take a clear macro picture to post. Stay tuned.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts