WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hamilton, the American brand. . . . . . . . owned and built in Switzerland.

If the brand was not Swiss-made, would you be so interested in Hamilton?

·
Banned
5,433 Posts
That would depend on where it was made,whether the price reflected it's country of origin,and if the country of origin was disclosed.

If the quality were as good as it is currently and the design stayed true to its American Heritage then I would most likely still buy them.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I know what you mean, Foghorn and others know what you mean, but there are some still wondering why we think Hamilton is still made in the US.....Please allow me to correct....

Hamilton, originally an American brand. . . . . . . . owned and built in Switzerland.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I do have non-Swiss watches in my collection that I consider quality. If they maintained their quality and played back in some way to the First Generation (American) Hamilton's, I'm all in.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
To paraphrase foghorn, if Hamilton were owned by another company that would let the name exist as brand unto itself with the same commitment to quality, it is highly likely that I would be interested.

I like Pulsar watches because I know that Seiko builds them, they are of very good quality and that they represent an excellent value.

The same could be said of Hamilton's relationship to Swatch, except that I don't get the impression that Hamilton is playing second fiddle to anyone.

Seiko has done nothing to exploit the American heritage of Pulsar and chooses rather to market the brand as a "value" line of the Seiko brand.

I see no evidence on the Swatch site to indicate that any brand is a cut rate version of any other brand, despite Swatch marketing watches that occupy several niches and price ranges.

Swatch could have chosen to market Hamilton as a Swiss brand through and through and could have just discarded the connection to its American roots, had it chosen to do so, without any negative repercussions.

Swatch is the home of many revered brands and they could have gone the route of claiming to have salvaged Hamilton from a troubled past and marketed it as a rebirth into the hallowed tradition of the Swiss watchmaking cottage industry of years past.

Would that make some buyers happier than the current arrangement of acknowledging Hamilton's true history as an American brand that is true to its own heritage, while sharing in the Swiss tradition offered by the Swatch group?

I think not.

As I said before, for those of us who respect the Hamilton name and its contribution to timekeeping, the current state of the brand is our great good fortune.

As for the others, let them shop elsewhere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts