WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently came into my possession is a RR approved 214 with a Swiss move made movement. It looks to be pretty much original condition but not sure how original it is. It has a back case with an M4 date code but a serial # like a USA made Accutron, starting with a G rather than a number as I think Swiss made would.
The movement is stamped Swiss made and has the 214 "H" as it should for a RR watch; the movement is dated M6 although it is hard to see in the pictures.
Comments and observations are welcome,,,thanks Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Silver
Red Guitar accessory Circle Electric blue Font

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As a follow up, I just noticed as I post the pictures, there is an M5 below the battery compartment, just to the right, now I wonder if the back case which is dated M4 is original but still the serial number isn't what I would expect for a swiss made Accurton,,,

· Registered
582 Posts
As a follow up, I just noticed as I post the pictures, there is an M5 below the battery compartment, just to the right, now I wonder if the back case which is dated M4 is original but still the serial number isn't what I would expect for a swiss made Accurton,,,
I suspect this one was a movement swap, given the date codes of M5 and M6 on the movement and the case being an M4. I know that there are a few exceptions where US movements were used in Swiss cases but have never seen an instance of a Swiss movement in a USA case that appeared to be original.

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply. Hard to see, but just above left tuning fork cup is a red dot and below that is a star or asterisk, does that indicate anything significant, I don't see that on most other movements that I have?,,,

· Registered
582 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Hard to see, but just above left tuning fork cup is a red dot and below that is a star or asterisk, does that indicate anything significant, I don't see that on most other movements that I have?,,,
I believe this has been discussed before. The paint dot and asterix are indications that the movement was swapped by Bulova during a warranty service? Apparently it was not uncommon for the Bulova service center to swap refurbished movements into watches that needed major work. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe this has been discussed before. The paint dot and asterix are indications that the movement was swapped by Bulova during a warranty service? Apparently it was not uncommon for the Bulova service center to swap refurbished movements into watches that needed major work. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that.
I find that interesting but what doesn't make sense to me is that the Swiss movement is dated M5 below the battery compartment as it would be but the pillar plate at the top above the coil opening is dated M6; does it make sense that a Swiss M5 movement would be on a pillar plate that is dated a year in the future?,,,I'm sure somehow it must make sense but I'm not seeing it but of course I'm only a novice 214 owner, not a Accutron repairman (person)!

· Premium Member
5,984 Posts
I find that interesting but what doesn't make sense to me is that the Swiss movement is dated M5 below the battery compartment as it would be but the pillar plate at the top above the coil opening is dated M6; does it make sense that a Swiss M5 movement would be on a pillar plate that is dated a year in the future?,,,I'm sure somehow it must make sense but I'm not seeing it but of course I'm only a novice 214 owner, not a Accutron repairman (person)!
After reading this very extensive thread about Date stamps and pillar plates, you might understand that it's not supposed to make sense all the time.

Accutron 214 Movement Date Stamps, Reference Marks and Pillar Plate Variations Sticky Thread Link

Reactions: mikeyt_53

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I read it, a lot of variables in the 60's at Bulova; seems an M5 Swiss is not too common, with the X-mas bills now causing me a cash flow problem, I'll probably sell it,,,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts