·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
m

·
Registered
168 Posts
It's probably has to do with swatch borrowing some of Invicta's ideas on a watch design. :lol:

·
Registered
67 Posts
It's probably has to do with swatch borrowing some of Invicta's ideas on a watch design. :lol:
LOL!:lol:

Yeah, Swatch borrowed the scalloped bezel design of the 8926 and put in on their Omegas. :laugh:

·
Banned
2,874 Posts
How much you wanna bet Swatch has got deeper pockets and is willing to take this thing to trial? Could be bad for Invicta, even if it didn't "infringe" on a Swatch patent or copyright.:sad:

·
Registered
88 Posts
IDK Amazon is a defendent and therefore that could add to the excitement. IDK how amazon factors in but they will shell to protect assets.

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Uh-Oh Fireworks.

Watch this space I'd say.

Thanks for spotting this Alain. Hope you'll keep us informed of the proceedings since all too often, these things can disappear from public view.

Be well now

ZIN

·
Registered
417 Posts
You can log into the district court files and get the entire case if you're willing to spend the bucks. I'm not THAT interested!!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Sounds like a squeeze to me. First, Swatch restricts access to their movements but Selita comes through with a modified ETA movement. Then Swatch files suit on copyright infringements. The history of the Swiss watch industry has been to restrict competition, regulate production, and make sure everyone toes the line; I can't see anything to suggest that things have changed. So I too think Invicta will eventually cowtow to the Swatch cartel.

Gotta say though that Invicta has brought some of this on themselves. Their Pro Diver Rolex homage may have put them on the map, but now that they are selling 2 million watches a year, they are a much bigger target. If Eyal wants to claim that Invicta compares favorably with the big boys, they need to start acting like it and produce their own designs exclusively.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Invicta doesn't have any original designs? Correct me if I'm wrong here but I thought the Lupah, Sapphire Ghost, and a few more that I can't think of were original Invicta designs. Now I could be wrong since I am not as knowledgeable as some of you more seasoned WIS's out there.

·
Registered
865 Posts
koi,

I always love reading your posts. You hang 'em out there, which is refreshing to read.

I agree with your sentiments generally, but I do think they have done some original stuff. My S1 auto is pretty original, so is the Sea Spider, Sea Vulture, Sapphire Ghost, and certainly the Subaqua Noma.

That said, when Invicta recently rolled out their Pro Diver offshore, a blatant copy of an Omega Planet Ocean, I just shook my head. Invicta is a maturing watch company and it is high time that they grow up and establish their own identity. Growth is not always a good thing. It might be time to take hold of the reigns and manage their image better, improve their quality, and serve their existing customers.

·
Registered
981 Posts
How many designs can one do with the shape, materials, and style of a watch? Pretty limited if you ask me. That being said Invicta does have it's own designs. But IMO since they don't have the pedigree of long established companies they won't get the recognition for their designs. Case in point the Subaqua Noma, although some will say that it's a true classic worthy of being added to the ranks of the elite others won't sighting that Invicta has not paid it's dues ie. longevity, heritage, and snob appeal. Yet another company can "sample" a very similar design and nothing is said ex. the Sharp Shooter from Croton (blatant rip). The Lupah is another one, I beg to differ it looks nothing like Corum not even close. But instead of giving Invicta it's props it's they stole the look. Now look at how many rips of this very same design Adee Kaye, Lucian Picard just to name a couple.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts

Well I can say that when looking at my 3824 and the Rolex Submariner, they are identical in every way other than the name, diameter and diamonds on the dial.
Normally when someone makes a few changes in a similar design or product and can prove that it has it a better product in any way that may get them around the patent infringements but adding diamonds to the dial does not change the appearance of the watch to nor does it improve functionality of the watch to any degree so companies like Rolex would have every right to file a lawsuit.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Really, I didn't know that, well I guess Invicta better start towing the line or the big boys just may end up clipping their wings, no pun intended. Well maybe it was.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
The other thing that came to mind is with the look of the Lupah would that not be a copy of a Corum? They may end up with several lawsuits from different companies especially if one of the suits goes in the plaintiffs favour.

·
Registered
417 Posts
How much you wanna bet Swatch has got deeper pockets and is willing to take this thing to trial? Could be bad for Invicta, even if it didn't "infringe" on a Swatch patent or copyright.:sad:
It will be an interesting case to watch! Oh my, the pun on words.

I'm sure EL and his corporate attorney's have some sort of defense just in case this happened.

If you take a look over on the GD forum at "Insane Klone Posse" thread it appears to me that a whole bunch of companys could be sued for infringement.

http://watchtalkforums.info/forums/showthread.php?t=188

·
Registered
865 Posts
NON-SPONSOR LINK REMOVED BY RUSTY

you may want to rethink the Subaqua not being a homage.
Sorry, I missed your link before the sargent at arms swooped in, but as I understand it, Invicta has taken out numerous patents on the design of the Subaqua Noma. I think we are splitting hairs here though. All modern watch designs are inspired by others. There are only so many ways to design a watch. I've got no problem with Invicta or any other company taking inspirations from others and incorporating them into the watch. There's just no way to create new designs without looking at benchmarks.

That said, I completely agree that Invicta should focus on developing more of their own designs and do less homages.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I'm learinig alot here. Question is there a original design by Invicta? Has Invicta ever produced a watch that canot be compared to a earlier watch done by any watch manufacturer?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts