WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now gals and guys

Please hear me out on this :thumbup1:

The reason that the Omega Speedmaster Professional 3573.50 was not accepted by enthusiasts as being flight-qualified was because NASA had originally specified that it wanted hesalite as opposed to sapphire crystal on the Speedmaster. This was through a belief that should sapphire shatter, shards of glass would be distributed into the zero-gravity environment of the early Gemini and Apollo spacecrafts.

However, the X-33 uses a sapphire crystal and it is flight-qualified. :thumbup:

Under the circumstances shouldn't enthusiasts too accept that the 3573.50 should stand alongside the 3570.50 as being flight-qualified for manned space missions? I don't know if it would be accepted for EVAs ( extra vehicular activity ) since only the hesalite-fronted watch has been approved for that.

But returning to my earlier proposition, I cannot see any reason why the 3573.50 should not be regarded by us here or indeed anyone as being as flight-qualified as the 3570.50 or the X-33... unless in my haste at presenting my thought for the day, I'm missing something ;)

What say you pals?

Y'all have a nice weekend now

ZIN

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
The bottom line, Br. ZIN, is as a forum member has stated:

"Real men wear hesalite!" :001_tt2:

And in my opinion, astronauts are real men and women. :thumbup:

Fr. John+

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is such a cheeky answer Bro.

Now you gotta admit, I do have a point :lol::lol::lol:

BTW - they now wear X-33s with sapphire crystals

Wishes and Blessings for the weekend

ZIN
:thumbup1:

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
Whahahaha...too funny fr. John....:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Planning on going to the Moon Zinster???

:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
128 Posts
A sapphire crystal should, and most likely would, work in space. I guess Nasa just wanted a slighty "safer" watch for their astronuts.

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank You Mr SLife.

I suppose I could get into training. Never say never and all that ;):biggrin::biggrin:

Have a good weekend

ZIN

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
A sapphire crystal should, and most likely would, work in space. I guess Nasa just wanted a slighty "safer" watch for their astronuts.
Good point...:thumbup1:

A damaged glas could easily damage a space suit for example..:wink:

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes Pal

But the environment in a spacecraft now is different. It's no longer zero gravity, well at least the pictures of the ISS seem to indicate that and remember of course, the X-33 uses a sapphire crystal......

Be seein' ya pal

ZIN

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
BTW, Br. ZIN, a friend downunder have several display backs listed on the "bay"

and one has the correct wording engraved if you are interested. :001_rolleyes:

Fr. John+

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bro John

I like them all and the one that says it all ;):thumbup1:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Many thanks for the headsup - I'll head over for a look

Be well now

ZIN

·
Registered
979 Posts
Sapphire outside the craft is not the issue. It's inside. And officially, the Speedmaster Professional 3570 with HESALITE is THE ONLY watch flight-qualified. Not the Sapphire sandwich, not the see-thru back with Hesalite in front, only the Hesalite crystal in front and stainless back.

I've often wondered about the X-33 having sapphire crystal on the front. It doesn't make sense to me. I wonder if it has a plastic coating in front of it?

Also, just a thought, the reason that the Speedy was made to withstand 200 meter water resistance is that under water, you have great pressure on the outside pushing in. In space you have the opposite. The pressure is trying to expand from the inside out. That's why Dave Scott's (or Cernan, I forgot) crystal popped off. Same idea as the helium escape valve.

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Amigo

I've often wondered about the X-33 having sapphire crystal on the front. It doesn't make sense to me. I wonder if it has a plastic coating in front of it?

Agreed and Dunno

Also, just a thought, the reason that the Speedy was made to withstand 200 meter water resistance is that under water, you have great pressure on the outside pushing in.

200m water resistance? The Speedy? I wasn't aware of that. I never get anywhere beyond 2m of water unless I'm in a boat

In space you have the opposite. The pressure is trying to expand from the inside out. That's why Dave Scott's (or Cernan, I forgot) crystal popped off. Same idea as the helium escape valve.

It was Dave Scott.

Be well pal and be seein' ya

ZIN

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Looks like it pretty much comes down to why your getting a Speedy.

If you want to pretend you're an astronaut, you can point to your plastic....er, I mean hesalite crystal and say "It's just like the astronauts might wear". You can even scratch it for them...just for proof.

If on the other hand you're getting a Speedy for it's proud heritage, robust construction, and you spend your time around hot rods, Harleys, and flying machines....I'd opt for the Sapphire... I want it to be as indestructible as possible..

But maybe I'm being too practical...:tongue_smilie:

·
Banned
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks like it pretty much comes down to why your getting a Speedy.

If you want to pretend you're an astronaut, you can point to your plastic....er, I mean hesalite crystal and say "It's just like the astronauts might wear". You can even scratch it for them...just for proof

:eek:

If on the other hand you're getting a Speedy for it's proud heritage, robust construction, and you spend your time around hot rods, Harleys, and flying machines....I'd opt for the Sapphire... I want it to be as indestructible as possible..

Now that's more like it Larry :thumbup:

Anyway getting back on track, Mr MacDaddy makes a good point about the crystals blowing out but isn't that hardly likely now that we have a pressurised environment in modern spacecraft....... or at least I thought so anyway.

Y'all be well now pals

ZIN

1 - 20 of 24 Posts