WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on purchasing a Rolex for my husband for our 10yr anniversary. He has always wanted a Rolex and does not currently own one. I have looked at the GMTII, Sea Dweller & Yatch Master. Does anyone have a recommendation or are there certain things I should consider? There is an AD in our area and I have contacted them as well. Help!!!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Hiya, welcome to WTF!
All of the watches you mentioned have their fans here and elsewhere, but if i was given any of them, i would be the luckiest boy on earth!
My own collection includes a Sea-Dweller, and the old style GMT II, so i obviously like them a lot. The new GMT II C is a beautiful watch, increasingly well represented here, and likely to become a classic Rolex model. I would say either Sea-Dweller or GMT II C.
By the way, do you have any sisters? :lol:
This is a wonderful place and you will get the best help and impartial, and not so impartial advice!
:thumbup:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Unless it's going to be a surprise, I would suggest asking him what he likes (i.e. two tone, ss, the face color light or drak, etc.)

I only suggest asking because when making such a large purchase you want him to totally love it. Despite the fact that most guys would love ANY Rolex.

Why aren't there more women in the world like you?????

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Since you really can't go wrong with any of them I would try to somehow get a better feel from him as to what he likes the best. I'm not sure exactly how you do that without giving it away but given the cost of the watch it might be worth trying. If he is anything like me he has a definite favorite so it would be nice to get him the one he really wants.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Unless it's going to be a surprise, I would suggest asking him what he likes (i.e. two tone, ss, the face color light or drak, etc.)

I only suggest asking because when making such a large purchase you want him to totally love it. Despite the fact that most guys would love ANY Rolex.

Why aren't there more women in the world like you?????
I guess we think alike Nate...you just typed faster. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
For a true watch person, this is a very personal choice. Unless he told you which one he wants, I would make the surprise a trip to a local AD. Preferably one who knows you're coming and already has these models in stock. My wife would do this kind of thing, but if given the chance would rather pick out the one I wanted.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Depends on your husband... What does he do? Would more water proof be better or multiple time zones?

Does he like more dressy watches (with polished links?) - if so = GMTIIc

Does he like more understated watches (Sub or Seadweller). Do his current watches have dates on them if so = get Sub over Sea Dweller

Does he wear lighter watches = not Sea Dweller

My opinion is GMTIIc = the best and most up to date (Rolex just updated this model for the first time in around 20 years - at least of any major update) so, it will be the least likely to change soon!

Best,

Nick

·
Registered
416 Posts
The "hottest" of the 3 right now is likely the GMT II, which was redesigned to be more comfortable and has a heftier look. The YM is nice too, and is a little more "upper-end". The SD would be best if your husband dives. In terms of the movement, reliability, etc., you can't go wrong with any of them.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Welcome to the WTF, I would check with our folks listed on the welcome page for pricing vs your AD. I think I would lean toward the one your husband mentions the most. But really all rolexes are awesome :thumbup:, but hey I am a watch nut :lol:. Be careful the watch bug is contageous :biggrin:.

I recently purchased my wife this lovely treasure.

Now she loves Rolex...:thumbup:

Good luck in your quest...

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
I agree that if possible, let him take a look himself and try them on. If you want to surprise him, I'd get the Submariner Date, Submariner No Date, or the Seadweller. All work well as sport or dress watches. Lucky guy!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I would definately surprise him with a trip to your AD and let him pick from the 3 he likes, unless you know for sure and he has given you specific instructions on which one he would prefer. Personally, I would lean towards the new GMT Master but I like the big rugged looking watches over the more dress style Yachtmaster. I own an Explorer II and have always wanted a Submariner, but that new GMT Master is really sharp looking. My wife originally thought she would like a Yachtmaster until she saw them in person, then changed her mind to a nice datejust with diamonds. Its just too personal of an item to try to pick out for someone! Also, I think the date window is essential, I cant tell you how many times I have looked at my watch to get the date, I would be lost without a watch with the date on it.

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
Welcome to WTF and the Rolex Forum - based on what you've said here and in email, I'm also going to recommend the Submariner. It falls within your budget if purchased at an AD, and if held on to long enough, should slowly increase in value to the point of being able to sell it for roughly what you paid in about 10 years.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Welcome wonderfulwife,

Well, without knowing what he likes & depending on your budget, I'll buck the trend here & say the Yacht-Master. Depending on what he wears everyday (is he an office guy wearing a suit everyday?) it'll go very well with either jeans & a t-shirt or a suit. Granted, the Sub will too, but the Yacht-Master will dress up a bit better. If the Yacht-Master isn't the one, then the Sub would be a very close second IMO. I own both, and if I absolutely had to pick just one, I'd pick the Yacht-Master.

Good luck, and do let us know which one you decide to go with! :thumbup1:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks!

Thanks so much for your suggestions and feedback! I think I am leaning towards the GMTIIc as you suggested. I'll be making a trip back to the local AD to see which one they had in stock (not sure of the year model). I'll post back one I have decided for sure. I'll probably lurk around your forum as well for additional "research". Thanks again!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Thanks so much for your suggestions and feedback! I think I am leaning towards the GMTIIc as you suggested. I'll be making a trip back to the local AD to see which one they had in stock (not sure of the year model). I'll post back one I have decided for sure. I'll probably lurk around your forum as well for additional "research". Thanks again!
The new GMT IIc is a Great choice. As others have stated, you need to take him to the AD and allow him to pick the one he likes best. Good Luck

·
Registered
590 Posts
My wife bought me a submariner for xmas. Take him to the AD. I have been a pro diver most of my working life but prefer subs to cabin dwellers. With a purchase of this amount its important to get it right.
Having said that, sounds like he got it right with you.
luck and god bless
Kevin

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Another option to taking him in to the AD is ask the AD their return policy. Most Rolex AD's will allow you to return a Rolex if it has not been sized, the stickers are all still on it, the tags still attached & the watch is completely unworn.

That way, you can get him what you think he'll like and surprise him, but you can also tell him the 3 you were debating on & if he really wants one of the other models he can exchange it.

Just another option if you want to keep it a surprise.... Good luck!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just get him a Submariner. You can't go wrong w/a sub. Goes great with jeans or a suit. It's both, a dress & sports watch all-in-one. Often imitated, rarely duplicated. And as mentioned above, the sub has the best resale value. The sub is a no-brainer.
Take it easy
Mike

1 - 20 of 20 Posts