WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Gentlemen and Ladies,

I am about ready to purchase my first rolex. I have been wearing an Omega Seamaster, black dial, for the last three years and I am ready to step up to the Rolex. However, I cannot decide between the SS or TT submariner for the following reasons:
1. Is the two-toned blue dial submariner too flashy for every day wear?
2. Is it worth the extra $$$?
3. Is the blue dial too popular?

(I live in Dayton, Ohio and I do investments so I am constantly meeting new prospective clients)

Also, I am little hesitant of buying a new rolex online(I have been looking at /name removed/). Any referrals would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

DaytonGuy34

· Registered
1,673 Posts
Welcome to the forum :thumbup:

A lot of it is down to personal choice.

I'd advise you to try on the two models you mentioned.

One of them will "sing" to you.

That is the one you should buy.

Perhaps not then and there, don't be afraid to thank them and walk away to think about it.

We try and keep the forum non commercial - our sponsors (who help keep the lights on and can be seen in the banner ads) are of course welcome, but as the name you mentioned is not one of them, I'm going to put a slight edit in your post and remove that name - but welcome again and no offence meant and I hope none taken.

Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have - but please also have a read of the FAQs:

http://www.watchtalkforums.info/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12

If anyone has any referrals that are non sponsors - please send via e-mail or private message to DaytonGuy34.

All the best,

Harry

· Registered
13,431 Posts
Hey DaytonGuy,

Welcome to WTF!! :thumbup1:

So personally I like both. However, given what you said I'm assuming you wear suits quite often? If so, IMO the TT would be a better fit, and certainly isn't too blingy. In fact, our fearless leader here John lives in the same ballpark as you & wears his TT blue Sub quite often with a suit. So I certainly wouldn't shy away from it on that basis.

Like Harry said, it's really going to be which do you like better on your wrist. The good news is there is no wrong answer, either is an excellent choice... But, were I choosing, I'd go with the TT personally... I'd also echo Harry & go try them on, tell them you want to think about it & then think about it. You may need to do this several times as sometimes the one that sings one day may not be the one the second day. I'd try them on at least 3 or 4 times.. After that, you should be able to declare a clear winner.

Also, regarding your question on internet buying. I'd really stay away unless you're buying pre-owned. By buying a new watch from a non-AD, you will lose the Rolex 2 year warranty. You may have a warranty from the seller, but you'll have to deal directly with them. Rolex will not honor any warranty on the product if you buy it from a non-authorized dealer. That usually is enough for me to stay with the AD's for new purchases. Plus, you'll know you have a store you can walk into for help should you ever need it.

If you do decide to go with an online sale, do check out the WTF sponsors. You'll see them at the bottom of the Rolex forum page, and top of the WTF Home page. WTF has several sponsors that sell Rolex, and each & every one of them are a trustworthy seller you can trust...

Either way do let us know which model you decide on... Looking forward to hearing your decision..

And again, welcome to WTF!!

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks

WTF Admins,

Thanks for the tips and posting advice. I have only tried them on once so I will take your advice and try them on a second time. I look forward to contributing to this forum!

Best,

Daytonguy34

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Art,

That is a very interesting and helpful insight. Anyways, are the two year rolex warranties important or necessary? I can not imagine a scenario where you would need a warranty on a rolex. Also, is it easy to size a rolex yourself with the proper screw driver or would you all recommend a dealer?

Thanks!

· Registered
633 Posts
I have never had a problem with a new Rolex but of course folks on the forum have and anything can have problems when new. I think now the Rolex warrenty is two years and some AD's offer more on they're own.

· Registered
13,431 Posts
Well, as they say even Ferrari has a service center...

I think for the kind of money a new Rolex commands, I wouldn't go without the warranty. I'd be pretty upset to get a $8,000 watch only to have to put a $750-1000 service tag into it a year later. You're right - the odds of needing it are pretty slim, but it's still a mechanical thing made by man. Mistakes happen.... Plus, an AD the only 100% sure way to be sure you're getting a legit, brand new Rolex.

As to the bracelet, extremely easy. With a jewelers screwdriver you'll have it done in a few short minutes.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I am going to have to go the AD route then so I can sleep at night and know what I am getting is legit. How do you know if you are getting a 2008 model vs. 07, 06, etc. Does the new GMT have a better clasp then submariner?

· Registered
11 Posts
Gentlemen and Ladies,

I am about ready to purchase my first rolex. I have been wearing an Omega Seamaster, black dial, for the last three years and I am ready to step up to the Rolex. However, I cannot decide between the SS or TT submariner for the following reasons:
1. Is the two-toned blue dial submariner too flashy for every day wear?
2. Is it worth the extra $$$?
3. Is the blue dial too popular?

(I live in Dayton, Ohio and I do investments so I am constantly meeting new prospective clients)

Also, I am little hesitant of buying a new rolex online(I have been looking at /name removed/). Any referrals would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

DaytonGuy34
Firstly I would like to say love that you have a Seamaster, I am a huge fan... but as for the Sub your looking for I reccomend you look for a 5 digit one, unless you are heard stuck on a new modern piece. They will come at a larger price but will of course will be all that a new watch can be. I am a fan of older watches and If you find the right place to buy then you can actually find a very nice 5 digit Sub. I am actually looking for a Sub myself, not that I will be getting one anytime soon but I do have my eyes on a 16803. That model has my heart. If you are still in the search for a good Sub take a look and see what you think about the 16803. Rolex Submariner Date Reference 16803 "The Rolex Submariner reference 16803 is both a vital reference of the world’s favorite luxury dive watch and a surprising one". I mean there is a quite a bit of hirstory behind this model and some really cool details that they covered but Idk its just the overall aesthetic of the watch for me that makes me want to have it. I just have to have it. Let me know what you think, or which Sub you ended up grabbing!

· Super Moderator
17,361 Posts
Hi there, Paul. I hope you're not holding your breath waiting for DG's reply. :)
It's been 13 years since he got that famous Rolex yearning, and in all that time, this is the only thread he EVER contributed to. And above not knowing what his decision was, we don't even know if he's still alive or joined the Witness Protection Program or even The French Foreign Legion! Oh well - we win some; we lose some.
How's your love of watches doing....still hanging in there?

· Super Moderator
17,361 Posts
Yes, I'm sure it's probably a nice watch, but
1) Why would you want to resuscitate a 16 year-old thread without pictures when you could start your own new one?
2) You should have remembered that there are those just starting out in the hobby of watch collecting and should have explained that ''T T'' stands for two-tone (a watch made of stainless steel AND gold.)

And FYI: I have a 1960s Hamilton I can say the very same things about, and didn't have to spend thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars to buy it! Just sayin'.
Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Font

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.