WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed today that my Sub LV has stopped working. It is wound, I did it manually just to check, I use a Wolf Watch Winder so it never is not moving The hour minute, date will move when I pull out the crown, I wanted to see if it would move. I am taking it to the AD 1st thing Monday morning, it is under warranty thankfully. This is the first time that I myself or have talked with anyone that there Rolex stoped only being a year old. I did not drop it, hit anything. It is babied like all my other Rolex's. I hope Rolex will also tell me what happened when they fix it.

Has anyone had this happen?

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
Rolexman07. This is a first for me. I do recall a few, very few issues in the archive; but, nothing on the Sub. Fortunately, as you say, the watch is under warranty; but, after one year, it is very disheartening.

I am not sure if Rolex will tell you what was wrong with the watch when they send it back either. John, or others may know.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I use a Wolf Watch Winder so it never is not moving....

I'm sorry to hear about your watch.

I know you're probably not in the mood for much advice and I certainly am no expert on Rolexes, having never owned one, but your statement above rang a bell for me, so I looked up this advice from Chronocentric.com.

"A bad watch winder is worse than no winder. Automatic watches are designed to be worn by people. People move in a large diversity of manners, causing a fairly even distribution of motion of the watch's internal winding mechanism. A watch winder is normally limited to a very finite number of directions and types of movement -- some as little as one single motion. So a poorly designed winder (especially the one you tried to make from an old electric drill and spare auto parts when you first heard that a real winder sells for hundreds of dollars) might cause undesirable wear of the watch's mechanisms from excessive and repetitive movement."

http://www.chronocentric.com/watches/winders.shtml#consider

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
The old "Tastes great less filling" debate. We had this debate go on forever in the archive about this. As for me? Well, I subscribe to what GradyP stated. Also, winders can actually go to fast for a watch, which can also cause damage. Did this occure in this situation, or did Rolex QC miss something? Unsure. Nonetheless, if you want various opinions on winders, just ask.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Wow,

Sorry to hear about that..

My money would be on one of those rare, but inevitable, manufacturers defects that happen from time to time.

If it won't manual wind, or won't wind by wrist movement, it could be a number of things...mainspring broken, foreign matter stuck between one of the drive wheels, broken balance or pallet....etc.

But it could be something as simple as a strong magnetic field influence that magnetized the hairspring to an extent it won't move...

Let us know, this is an interesting issue..

:sad:

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Hey Rolexman07,

Sorry to hear about that... :crying:

I'd agree with Larry thought. You probably just happened to 'win' the unlucky lottery.. Even a Rolex can break all on it's own... The good news is I'm sure Rolex will treat it right & it'll come back to you brand new.... :thumbup1:

Regarding the winders, TF's right - it's a ping pong debate.... Personally I use winders and have never had an issue. Regarding if one can damage your watch, there has not been any study on widers and the effects on watches able to find that a quality winder does damage to a mechanical watch. None. However, the key there is quality winders. I do agree with what GradyPhilpott said on a "cheap" winder. A cheap winder that isn't made right can damage a watch. But Wolf winders are a high quality winder, so I highly doubt that had anything to do with it.

Good luck & do let us know...

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
It's highlly doubtful your winder had anything to do with the current problem....I've been using them for years without incident.

And Rolex absolutely will tell you what's wrong with the watch when you send it to them. :001_smile:

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
And Rolex absolutely will tell you what's wrong with the watch when you send it to them. :001_smile:
That is good to know. I had always wondered if they did or not. Another watch company I dealt with that I had to send a watch to, only sent the watch back repaired with no explanation.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Broken Rolex

Rolexman - sorry to hear your watch stopped. My new Sub - 16610 - stopped precisely 53 weeks after I bought it new. It actually rattled. The AD sent it back and it returned from Rolex with a new movement, since when it's been fine - for 17 years! Rolex told me nothing about what was wrong and the AD didn't seem too interested:001_unsure:, but everything was sorted so I guess I shouldn't complain. Good luck with the repair - I'm sure it'll be fine when it returns to Daddy!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you guys for your support, I sent if off today, with the holiday's it will probably be around 6 weeks, but I am blessed to have more rolex's so it won't be as difficult. I did ask them to tell Rolex to align the arrow exactly with the 12 marker there is a sudtle allowable play between clicks, I have noticed lots of LV's don't exactly line up, even the newest one I picked up that had the rolex scrolling on the inside. I will post what happed once Rolex gets it back, most important I want it running smoothly again.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had a SD that I asked Rolex to align the bezel ( under warranty) on and they politely told me "No".
Said it was within their standards. I told them that I thought their standards were better than that.

I love Rolex watches but at this price level they should be able to align a bezel properly IMHO. Hell, Seiko can do it! I'm sure Rolex can too...

I got lucky with my LV Sub - the bezel is spot on.

Good luck with the repairs. I'm sure it will come back ticking nicely.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Thank you guys for your support, I sent if off today, with the holiday's it will probably be around 6 weeks, but I am blessed to have more rolex's so it won't be as difficult. I did ask them to tell Rolex to align the arrow exactly with the 12 marker there is a sudtle allowable play between clicks, I have noticed lots of LV's don't exactly line up, even the newest one I picked up that had the rolex scrolling on the inside. I will post what happed once Rolex gets it back, most important I want it running smoothly again.
You know, it wouldn't be outrageous for Rolex to offer loaner watches much the same way Lexus provides a loaner car during warranty service. It wouldn't cost them much if anything and I bet people would appreciate it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about the problem, but at the same time I'd like to know some more information on the watch (date of manufacture, serial range) so that we have and idea of exactly when this watch was made.

When there is an unusual design/manufacture/material flaw in production, chances are very good that more than one example will be affected by the same problem.

If we track this closely, it may be helpful for others who have the problem later, but within the same production run. If the watch happens to be out of warranty, it may help to leverage Rolex into repairing the watch as it was a production run problem...

Just a thought.

Again, sorry about your bad luck. Electronics are usually stable for ever once they exceed a week or two of use; mechanical things are not always so lucky...

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Hi Rolexman07,
I wouldn't worry too much about your LV being away for a while, i sent my Sea-Dweller back recently for regulating and was told to expect it probably January '08, infact i have it on my wrist since it arrived back today!
I wouldn't worry too much about the arrow lining up with the 12, my Sub, SD and GMT II are all askew!
:thumbup:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I got my watch back yesterday. Which ended up taking exactly 1 month. Here is what happend.
1. I requested in the write up to Rolex to let me know what broke - They didn't give any description on what happend or what they did. It is working great, so I guess I can't complain to much.

2. I also requested the bezel to line up and be tightned a little - They did this exactly as requested. It lined up and they bezel is tighter now when turning it. Before it had a little slop so when I did line it up it moved as I wore it throught the day. I am very pleased now. Rolex Dallas did call my AD to get a clearer picture of this request.

3. The Rolex repaired watch only came in a green pouch. My prior experience it came with a box and a polishing cloth, I guess they have changed. I liked the box and cloth better.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Glad to hear you got your watch back in good shape. It sounds like Rolex took care of you.

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
Well I got my watch back yesterday. Which ended up taking exactly 1 month. Here is what happend.
1. I requested in the write up to Rolex to let me know what broke - They didn't give any description on what happend or what they did. It is working great, so I guess I can't complain to much.

2. I also requested the bezel to line up and be tightned a little - They did this exactly as requested. It lined up and they bezel is tighter now when turning it. Before it had a little slop so when I did line it up it moved as I wore it throught the day. I am very pleased now. Rolex Dallas did call my AD to get a clearer picture of this request.

3. The Rolex repaired watch only came in a green pouch. My prior experience it came with a box and a polishing cloth, I guess they have changed. I liked the box and cloth better.
Interesting. Which service center did you send it to? Rolex has always sent an "invoice" explaining any parts replaced, services they performed, etc. even if it was under warranty. I'd also like to see photos of the pouch as I've only received the box from them n the past.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Nothing wrong with the pouch if it's packaged right. I sent one in for warranty service (not a rolex) wrapped up in just bubble wrap & cardboard & got it back in a pouch. It had a piece of shaped cardboard between the case & bacelet to keep it from moving loose in the pouch (picture laying the watch down on a table, then inserting a piece of formed cardboard where the 'gap' between the bottom & top of the watch is to keep it's flat shape), and then wrapped in bubble wrap & boxed up. Very secure. I'd imagine Rolex is doing something similar. I do doubt they just throw it in a pouch, put the pouch in a box & put it in the mail. And you now have a nice travel pouch for the watch.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts