WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum, and I understand that the SUB 168000 is an older model/style; however, I have a question concerning my particular SUB 168000.

Can anyone tell me what might be indicated by a style #16800A?

I have a Submariner (168000) that was purchased in late, 1987. The original box that my Sub came in, had a sticker on the end of the box, which was clearly marked, style 16800A. There was a smaller sticker, inside the box, where the dealer had written the price, and 10/6. I don't know what the 10/6 means (?). I originally thought it might indicate October 1986, but that doesn't seem to make sense, now that I have begun to investigate this matter.

The serial number of my watch (9378###), falls well within the range of the 1987 serial numbers, as shown in a chart that I found online (as well as within this forum), that range being 9290001 thru 9766000. I am, however, somewhat curious as to the meaning of the 10/6, as it seems for sure, that my watch was produced in 1987. But either way, my S/N clearly indicates it to be a 1987 model, no matter what the 10/6 means.........assuming the serial number chart to be correct - I think (?)

But, my real question is about the style number.....16800A, which was written on the end of the box? Even though that sticker on the box, says style 16800A, my watch case is clearly stamped, 168000 ? I am just perplexed, by the presence of the two numbers, and why they would both appear, with my Sub. I realize that the number stamped on the case, would over-ride any questionable, hand written number, but is there a relationship between these two numbers? Does the "A" have some meaning, or did someone simply mark the box, incorrectly?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that box could be used for an ealier 16800 or 168000 SS models. 10/6 is an internal dealer date code.

I hope this info helps..Arthur
Thanks Arthur !
As for the 10/6, I too assumed that this may be a date code, but what I couldn't understand is why they would put a 10/6 (supposedly Oct 1986) code on a watch, that wasn't even produced, till sometime in 1987 ? The sticker with this code, was the same sticker with the price, and was attached to the inner box, that actually held the watch.

As for the outer box, I suppose you may be correct. It could have originally been a style 16800 box, and they just put the A on the end of the number, for their own purposes, of identification. But why not just add another "0". It was a hand written number on the box, anyway? But again, I know that whatever is stamped on the watch case, is what would be the correct style number, and as I mentioned, that is 168000, without doubt.

Also, I am personally, just finding out, that the 168000, was indeed, a limited style, and I believe someone mentioned, that it was only produced for a year, or less. I wonder if this makes the "000", significant in any way. It's my only Rolex, I'm not a collector, and I've worn the watch 24/7, for almost 25 years, so I'm now trying to figure, if I should have it refurbished & serviced, to bring it back to it's original integrity & beauty. It's such a beautiful timepiece.........

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Some more info on the 168000

168000 was a true transitional watch... The difference between the 16800 and 168000
was the quality of the stainless steel which was upgraded from grade 316 to grade 904 and with the new caliber 3135.
I agree this model at best was constructed just one year..

Arthur

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any suggestions for restoration. As I mentioned earlier, I've worn this watch 24/7, for almost 25 years, so I'm now trying to figure, if I should have it refurbished & serviced, to bring it back to it's original integrity & beauty. Truly, I've done nothing but wear this watch, since I purchased it new, back in '87. I really want to put it back into good shape, but I don't want to do anything that is going to detract from it's value.

Should I stick with the Rolex Authorized Service Centers (New York or Dallas), or are there other places that I should consider....... ?? And what kind of cost, should I expect ?

I'm sure the watch needs all the normal service, cleaning & testing, etc, plus my bezel has a couple of cracks in it. I would think that the black part will need to be replaced. Also, my bracelet has a broken pin. I don't know if it can be fixed, or if it needs replacing.

I really don't know how to go about this, nor what to expect, so far as cost vs results..........Any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreciated.........

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Rolex Authorized Service Centers such as New York or Dallas is fine..

but DO NOT let them change the dial and hands for the newer version. The tritium hands and dial are valuable with the original patina on them. Your dial has character collectors want to own.

Do not let Rolex polish the case and replace the insert..In my opinion the original thickness and case bevel is very desirable. Also the insert and pearl match the dial and hands perfectly..Keep it..

A simple overhaul of the movement, new gaskets, crown and tube replacement is all that is necessary in my opinion. Also keep any Rolex documents, original or service papers, or anything Rolex ..this adds value to the watch down the line.

I hope this advice helps, Arthur

·
Registered
17 Posts
To Refurbish, or Not to Refurbish ?

First of all, I suppose that the title for this thread, should have been, "To Refurbish, or Not to Refurbish ?", but regardless, it is what it is, and I suppose that Arthur's last post, caught me by surprise, so rather than take up peoples precious time, on this forum, I decided to send a PM, in an effort to explain my position, and to get a bit of understanding, as to just what he was trying to tell me. Please let me preface all of this by saying, once again, - "I am not a collector, and to me, my SUB "000", was simply a timepiece, nothing too special, and nothing of great seminal value". For those others, out there, that may be experiencing a similar dilemma, as myself, maybe this will be of help. All I can do, is thank Arthur for taking the time to set me straight. When you don't, you just don't know. I suppose that's what forums are for.....................

My story is simple - Twenty-five years ago, I quit smoking. For this, I rewarded myself with a beautiful Rolex Submariner (168000). Pretty simple story, huh?

Should you be interested, here's my PM to Arthur, concerning some of his previous responses, which I didn't completely understand. I don't think that Arthur will mind me sharing this, and quite possibly, there may be others out there, in my same situation, full of questions, somewhat overwhelmed, and somewhat intimidated, by all of this Rolex talk.................

[my PM to AAKVIPER (Arthur)]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arthur, I realize that this PM is probably inappropriate, and likely won't be taken, in the light in which it is intended, but in lieu of continuing to waste everyone's time on the forum, I thought that I'd just send you a message, to somewhat express to you, where I am at, on this thing. First of all, I do indeed, appreciate the time and input, that you have come forth with, concerning my old Sub 168000, but more importantly, I don't want you to continue to waste your valuable time with my problem, because I suppose, I just don't get it. I just don't understand. I know that you must spend a lot of time on this forum, answering stupid questions, about things that are so " obvious" to you, and to other Rolex, intellectuals, but I'm just not one of them. I've got to come clean with you, I just don't understand everything that you are telling me. First of all, I'm not a collector, nor do I have the passion for the Rolex watch, as is so evident, with so many, on this forum. Yes, it's a beautiful watch, and I do love the watch, but to me, it is just a piece of jewelry, that once was pretty, and it made me happy to look at it, but now, it's somewhat of a burden, because it's not new & shinny, anymore, the bracelet is broken, the bezel is cracked, the crystal is not "crystal clear", anymore, and I feel certain that it must be in dire need of service. Just having to worry about all of that, and what is right, and what is wrong, so far as getting it fixed/restored, is likewise, a problem to me. Personally, I would have thought, that getting the watch fixed back, as close to it's original state, would have been good. I've always heard that a watch sent in to Rolex for service, comes back looking like brand new. New face, new hands, new bezel, new crystal, new bracelet, and everything polished up, just as when new. I'm now finding that all of this is wrong, and still, I don't understand. Why wouldn't I want my watch to look like new?

Ok, I must apologize, but as I have said, I am just not a part, of that "watch collector's world", that wants to preserve everything, as is, and I suppose all that patina, etc., that you refer to, doesn't really look all that good to me. I realize that this is due to my ignorance, on the subject, but to me, it just looks old and worn. Obviously though, based on what you have said, I am very wrong, but I am just wanting to let you know, that all of this is Greek to me. So far as your suggestion [A simple overhaul of the movement, new gaskets, crown and tube replacement is all that is necessary in my opinion.], I surely appreciate you trying to set me straight, and I may understand where you are coming from, somewhat, but again, I'm just not into that vintage watch/collecting thing, so in reality, I don't understand. As for your suggestions [Do not let Rolex polish the case and replace the insert..In my opinion the original thickness and case bevel is very desirable. Also the insert and pearl match the dial and hands perfectly..Keep it..], once again, I just don't understand, nor do I even know what you are referring to. I don't have a clue, what an insert is, nor do I know what pearl you are referring to, that it matches. I also don't understand what you are talking about, concerning the case bevel ! These are all things, I'm sure are very important to someone, but they don't mean beans to me.

As for my watch, I really don't know what to do now, and it's beginning to seem like it's a lot more hassle, than it's really worth, to me, anyway. Possibly the watch is worth more to someone else, than it would ever be to me, and that's fine. I have no sentimental attachment to the watch, even though I've worn it 24/7, for the last, nearly 25 years. As far as I'm concerned, it's just a watch. I was really planning on getting it into top notch shape (back to new-like condition), and probably just selling it. Now, I don't know if I want to do even that. It sounds like, based on what you are saying, that getting it back to a like-new condition, will actually decrease it's value, which right now, I don't have a clue, as to what the watch is worth, anyway.

Once again, I do want you to understand, that I sincerely appreciate, you trying to help me, but unfortunately, I'm just not much into this watch scene, so I don't know what I'll do, at this point. I may just flip it on eBay, and be done with it................

But again, thank you so much for your concern.....it's not your fault, it's mine!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[replies from AAKVIPER (Arthur)]--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nick you can add all new parts..but let Rolex send you the old parts back to you..another option you can have here..I was looking at the resale value end of the watch ..

Please keep posting..your posts may help others that may be in the same conundrum as you were in..

Best, Arthur

I can see your conundrum here..Why not tell Rolex to send you the old parts back to you..The old parts have large value on the collector market..An added value to a resale of a watch..

Please keep posting on the forum..It helps all of us learn and get some sort of an idea on the direction to take when sending a watch to service..

Arthur

Nick the insert is the black number disk on the bezel ..

I hope I was helpful and please feel free to post anytime on the forum..

Best Arthur

Again, if you don't know, don't make a big mistake - A S K __ Q U E S T I O N S !!

I don't know that this experience has helped me decide, whether or not, to repair/refurbish my SUB, but at least now, I have an idea of how to go about doing it, correctly................thanks Arthur.........

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I'm still at a loss, as to what to do. I haven't worn my SUB since back in February..................... I really want it back in great shape, but just don't really understand, or know what to do, or who to send it to...........

Also, in reference to one of Arthur's previous suggestions, I understand that Rolex will not return the "original parts", that are removed during a refurbish (?) So what's up with that ?

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
I'm still at a loss, as to what to do. I haven't worn my SUB since back in February..................... I really want it back in great shape, but just don't really understand, or know what to do, or who to send it to...........

Also, in reference to one of Arthur's previous suggestions, I understand that Rolex will not return the "original parts", that are removed during a refurbish (?) So what's up with that ?

I would call or stop in your AD or Rolex service center and ask the part return policy.
Arthur

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would call or stop in your AD or Rolex service center and ask the part return policy.
Arthur
Arthur, I know it's been a while, and I still have not done anything, towards refurbishing/repairing my Sub 168000, because I am still very unsure of who to trust with the job. The more I read about the Rolex Service Centers, the more I shy away from them, 1st because of the poor service experienced by so many, 2nd, because of the ridiculous prices that I read about Rolex charging, and 3rd, because I understand that Rolex will NOT return any parts that they remove from my watch. How can they justify keeping something that I have paid for? It's not like they are putting on new parts, at no charge. Also, from a personal standpoint, my past experiences with a Rolex Service Center (NY), has been nothing but disappointing. The worst scratch on my Submariner, today, after 25 years of wear, was put on the watch by Rolex (NY), and I didn't even receive an apology. They could care less, and yes, this was some 20+ years ago, but you just don't forget things like that. Surely they've got to be much better today.................(?)

As for my last post, back in November, you replied that I should "call or stop in at my AD or Rolex Service Center". With all due respect, that just doesn't help me, as I don't really know what you are speaking of. First of all, I live in somewhat of a rural area, in North Eastern North Carolina. Yes, I know what a Rolex Service Center is (I think), however, I wouldn't have one close by, that I am aware of. It is my understanding, that the only authorized Rolex Service Centers, in the USA, are located in New York, Dallas, and maybe San Francisco (?), none of which are close to NC. If these are what you are referring to, I suppose I have already expressed my opinion of them, specifically the NY operation. As for stopping by my AD (?), once again, I've not a clue what you are talking about. I never heard of an AD ?

As I have mentioned to you in previous post & PM's, I just don't understand all this watch talk. I'm not a collector, and I'm not into the current watch scene. I just want to get my Sub 168000, back into good shape. I'm not concerned with resale. I don't care. If I had a serious buyer, I wouldn't be concerned with doing anything to the watch, and would sell it "as is", however, I was seriously considering, putting it back into shape, and I thought when I started all of this, that it would be a simple matter of sending the watch, to whoever (?), and having them to get it back into a condition, that I would be happy with. As things stand now, it's just laying in the box, stuck in a drawer, and doing no one, any good. I really hate to sound so ignorant about all of this, but once again, watch talk and lingo, is just not my thing, and really means absolutely nothing to me. My knowledge on this subject is limited.

With this being said, would you, or anyone else, have any reliable recommendations, as to who I might contact, that would put my Sub168000 & bracelet, back into good shape, at a reasonable cost, and return it to me, along with any parts that may, or may not, be removed ? Incidentally, I also have read that independent repair shops, can't even get a genuine Rolex, replacement bracelet. I don't know about the repair parts, etc., but I just need some reliable contacts. Any help that you, or anyone else might provide, would be greatly appreciated.......thanks

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
Arthur, I know it's been a while, and I still have not done anything, towards refurbishing/repairing my Sub 168000, because I am still very unsure of who to trust with the job. The more I read about the Rolex Service Centers, the more I shy away from them, 1st because of the poor service experienced by so many, 2nd, because of the ridiculous prices that I read about Rolex charging, and 3rd, because I understand that Rolex will NOT return any parts that they remove from my watch. How can they justify keeping something that I have paid for? It's not like they are putting on new parts, at no charge. Also, from a personal standpoint, my past experiences with a Rolex Service Center (NY), has been nothing but disappointing. The worst scratch on my Submariner, today, after 25 years of wear, was put on the watch by Rolex (NY), and I didn't even receive an apology. They could care less, and yes, this was some 20+ years ago, but you just don't forget things like that. Surely they've got to be much better today.................(?)

As for my last post, back in November, you replied that I should "call or stop in at my AD or Rolex Service Center". With all due respect, that just doesn't help me, as I don't really know what you are speaking of. First of all, I live in somewhat of a rural area, in North Eastern North Carolina. Yes, I know what a Rolex Service Center is (I think), however, I wouldn't have one close by, that I am aware of. It is my understanding, that the only authorized Rolex Service Centers, in the USA, are located in New York, Dallas, and maybe San Francisco (?), none of which are close to NC. If these are what you are referring to, I suppose I have already expressed my opinion of them, specifically the NY operation. As for stopping by my AD (?), once again, I've not a clue what you are talking about. I never heard of an AD ?

As I have mentioned to you in previous post & PM's, I just don't understand all this watch talk. I'm not a collector, and I'm not into the current watch scene. I just want to get my Sub 168000, back into good shape. I'm not concerned with resale. I don't care. If I had a serious buyer, I wouldn't be concerned with doing anything to the watch, and would sell it "as is", however, I was seriously considering, putting it back into shape, and I thought when I started all of this, that it would be a simple matter of sending the watch, to whoever (?), and having them to get it back into a condition, that I would be happy with. As things stand now, it's just laying in the box, stuck in a drawer, and doing no one, any good. I really hate to sound so ignorant about all of this, but once again, watch talk and lingo, is just not my thing, and really means absolutely nothing to me. My knowledge on this subject is limited.

With this being said, would you, or anyone else, have any reliable recommendations, as to who I might contact, that would put my Sub168000 & bracelet, back into good shape, at a reasonable cost, and return it to me, along with any parts that may, or may not, be removed ? Incidentally, I also have read that independent repair shops, can't even get a genuine Rolex, replacement bracelet. I don't know about the repair parts, etc., but I just need some reliable contacts. Any help that you, or anyone else might provide, would be greatly appreciated.......thanks
Unfortunately besides Rolex service centers or you local authorized Rolex dealer I do not have any alternative ideas.:sad:
Arthur

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Well, I don't have a RSC or an AD, anywhere near. All I want, is a reliable, Rolex repair person, that I can trust with my Sub. I thought there were plenty of them, here on this forum. All I'm looking for, is some references.........

I want my Sub 168000 to look like this !
WTFvintage.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts