WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

In all our discussions about the Speedmaster Professional, while it is now in the company of four watches which are flight-qualified for manned space missions, I had overlooked the fact that it remains the ONLY WATCH approved by NASA for Extra-Vehicular Activity.

Pictures - omegawatches.com, nasa.gov

So if a new Speedmaster is not produced for the expected return to the moon and the other watches not used, would traditionalists ( Hi Guys
)consider the 3570.50 to be the Moonwatch after all then? :thumbup1:;)

Just a thought.....

Y'all be well now pals :)

ZIN

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Hey guys

In all our discussions about the Speedmaster Professional, while it is now in the company of four watches which are flight-qualified for manned space missions, I had overlooked the fact that it remains the ONLY WATCH approved by NASA for Extra-Vehicular Activity.

Pictures - omegawatches.com, nasa.gov

So if a new Speedmaster is not produced for the expected return to the moon and the other watches not used, would traditionalists ( Hi Guys
)consider the 3570.50 to be the Moonwatch after all then? :thumbup1:;)

Just a thought.....

Y'all be well now pals :)

ZIN
No question about it:thumbup1::thumbup1:

Be well Pal
Bob:D

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Thanks Bob :biggrin::biggrin:

Guess who I missed in London today?.......Gene Cernan.

I could kick myself.

Be well pal :)

ZIN

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Hey Thanks Bob :biggrin::biggrin:

Guess who I missed in London today?.......Gene Cernan.

I could kick myself.

ZIN
Hold on Zin, I'll beam myself there and give you a swift kick in the rear:lol::lol::lol::lol:

It would have been great to meet him:thumbup1:

Regards
Bob:D

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I place the responsibility at the doorstep of Mr MacDaddy since he's the one who pals around with them spacemen ;) so I'd have thought he would have briefed us on their movements besides which Bob, he's a lot closer to you so you won't have to travel so far.......:biggrin::biggrin:

Be well now pals :)

ZIN

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello John

A very warm welcome to WTF and OMEGALand.

The other three watches are

The Speedmaster Professional X-33

Casio G-Shock

Timex Ironman

because of their multi-function capabilities.

I have an article produced by NASA on this somewhere. Let me dig it out for you.

Be well now :)

ZIN

·
Banned
9,123 Posts
Mr. Houston: It does not surprise me about the G-Shock; but, the Timex Ironman does. I did not realize it could hand the G-force of liftoff. I did not know those watches to be able to take that kind of pressure.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I'd like to see that list as well-

I would think the digital watches would have quite a bit of trouble in extreme cold tempeatures... Like not functioning at all kind of troubles...

It is also nice to see two Omegas on the list as well!

For the record, I had the Casio Pathfinder (Similar to g-shock internally) and it would not function in the cold of the Arctic. (watch is currently for sale by the way; hint, hint:001_tongue:)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks Houston

Thanks for both the warm welcome, and the information. That was an interesting read. As it happens, I have an X-33 (one of my favorites, on now), and should have a real nice 3572.50 and a new G-Shock (the GW 5600J1) delivered by the end of the week. No Ironman, though I sure have enjoyed a few Expeditions. Best, John

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow John

You're certainly flight-qualified :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Be glad to see some pictures when you have a moment.

Nice talkin' with you

ZIN

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
Why this question Zin?

Are you planning a career change..:biggrin::biggrin:

''HoustZin, the first and only Moderator that walked on the Moon''

:D:D:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Rumour has it the moon is made of cheese.What goes better with a Zinfandel than cheese.:001_rolleyes:

Interesting article Zin.:thumbup:

Aaron.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yep, if NASA comes calling, at least I'll have a watch that can make the trip...as for me, I'll probably have a kids' soccer game or dance performance to go to, so I'll have to beg off....:laugh:

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Seems to me you're going to have more than one John :thumbup::thumbup:

Enjoy the game and/or dance

ZIN

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why this question Zin?

Are you planning a career change..:biggrin::biggrin:

''HoustZin, the first and only Moderator that walked on the Moon''

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hey Pal

I got the watch -

;):biggrin::biggrin:

Yeah, I know, I know, you trad folk :wink:

Cheerio for now :)

ZIN

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I think that even if NASA use another watch in the future for EVAs it will never ever match up to the Omega MoonWatch. For a start it will have been specially designed for the job, which the original Speedmaster most certainly wasn't. Also, with the current state of the watch industry never having been so competitive, do you not think that there will be some kind of back-hander offered from a manufacturer to get their watch flight and EVA qualified and then, most importantly, used by the astronauts? This also did not happen with Omega and the Speedmaster.

No doubt about it. The Speedy Pro will always be the true MoonWatch.

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Tricky

How you and your missus coping with the northern climes?

I personally think the X-33 would do the job unless NASA was looking for something even more modern. I'm not sure that specs for a new watch have been put out, have they?

Our resident NASA expert is Mr MacDaddy. Perhaps he may have an update on this.

ZIN

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Hey Tricky

How you and your missus coping with the northern climes?

I personally think the X-33 would do the job unless NASA was looking for something even more modern. I'm not sure that specs for a new watch have been put out, have they?

ZIN
The northern climes are OK at the minute thanks. It's a bit blustery today but it's still quite mild for the time of year. Maybe, this is a reflection of the warm welcome everybody gives us up here.

With regards to the X-33: I thought there was an issue with LCDs being subjected to the extreme pressures, radiation and temperatures of space. I could, of course, be entirely wrong.:blushing:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts