WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my 3rd post. The first two being at the old WTF. After much consideration (for about 2 months and countless times of browsing through this forum) and with the strong encouragement from my wife, I finally took the plunge and rewarded myself with a 2254 last Saturday :thumbup:.

Knowing that everyone here would like to see a pic or two of any Omega, here are two pics that I took of my new SMP using the camera on my mobile phone.

BTW, need some advise on fitting of bracelet. How would you guys normally wear your bracelet? Will you let you watch slip down to your joint by having slightly loose fitting? Will this cause the bracelet to stretch?

Thanks.

Cheers!!

kwlok

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Greetings Mr Kwlok

MANY CONGRATULATIONS

on your 2254.50 It's a great and classic watch which you'll enjoy.

Your bracelet should be just a comfortable fit on your wrist. If you were to lift the watch head, there should be
around a 2mm clearance from your wrist. You won't be able to stretch the bracelet that easily with a comfortable fit.

Incidentally, I wouldn't recommend walking whilst in a daze. That would be more dangerous on both the watch and its' owner.;) :lol:

Be well now

ZIN

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
That's a fine watch. The more I see it the more I start to think I may have chose the wrong SMP. But then I just take a look at my 2531.80 and think "Nah!!"

I wear mine slightly loose so that there is some movement. During the Summer it tends to stay in place and during the Winter months it slides about a bit more but it's often under a cuff from a sweater or hoody type top (with the hood, was does one call a top like that!?) so ther is no chance of it sliding about too much.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Congratulations! :thumbup: A fantastic watch that should be in ANY Omega collection! It's great that you managed to find one that was still available seeing as they've now discontinued the 2254.

Well done

J

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Congrats...great watch..

If you wear it too loose and it slips down to the wrist joint, when getting up from a chair, etc., the watch bracelet (as well as your wrist) gets highly stressed. This can bend the pins and cause premature stretch of your bracelet.. (not to mention it will hurt like h, e, double hockey sticks..

:cool1:

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
I wouldn't know Larry as I've never experienced the sensation of double hockey sticks :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mr Kwlok this is about where your watch should be on your wrist

I actually wear mine about 5 - 6mm higher on my wrist now more comfortable to me that way.

Be well now

ZIN

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
:) Congrats Mr Kwlok,

I'm sure you'll love that watch,

that makes you a member of the club now,

for fitting the bracelet, I can place my right pinky finger under the clasp, not too tight, not too loose... just right:thumbup1:

:):)
diver88

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you very much guys. My current bracelet fitting is a little loose and my watch tends to slip to my wrist joint. I guess i will have to pay a visit to my AD to have him remove a half link for me.

Thanks again for the advise guys!!

Now, which Omega should I aim for next...hmmm...:wink:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh.. BTW, it seems there are still plenty of 2254 available at this corner of the world. Almost every single AD that I have visited has available stock. Some even carry the mid size 2252

·
Registered
818 Posts
Kwolk, thanks for the pics! That is so funny because I actually just picked up the same piece (the 2254.50) on Saturday as well! Let me tell you this watch is just wonderful and I love it!! The balance, feel and weight of the watch is great. I absolutely love the anti-reflective sapphire crystal, the dial, the hands, the hour markers, the bracelet, the lumenescence and just about everything else! haha I also like how this watch is very understated (unlike wearing a Rolex) and sleek at the same time. Not everyone around you may notice it, but the wearer knows its fit and finish and feel are second-to-none. This is something that can only be felt, or only becomes tangible when one actually puts the watch on his/her wrist. This is what I love about this watch. I hope to post some pictures as some of you have done soon!
One question I had about this piece, or any other automatic Omegas has to do with the winding of the watch. I heard its good to give it a good, full wind at least once or twice to get full use out of the mainspring, but I was wondering how you guys know when you have reached this point. I don't want to overwind the watch (even though they say you can't) but I really just don't want to put too much stress on the movement by doing this. I wound the crown around 40 revolutions (does this seem correct)? Also, as I was winding the piece, I heard a slight ticking sound as if something was almost tapping inside the watch (a very slight noise). Have you noticed this as well? I was thinking this was happening because the watch was fully wound but I wasn't sure. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated!~ Thanks all for listening and thank you for your help! :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Kwolk, thanks for the pics! That is so funny because I

Snip!

appreciated!~ Thanks all for listening and thank you for your help! :)
I would not wind the watch again once I put it on my wrist. There is no reason to wind the main spring again as long as the rotor has been doing its job. Plus, the 2254 is chronometer certified so it has already spent some time running after the factory. There's no need to have a break in period.

40 or so winds seems about enough. I usually only do about 30 winds on any of my watches before wearing them. I'm not sure what clicking you are hearing, but if it doesn't affect the time keeping of the watch - I wouldn't worry about it.

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
:)

yes Mr Ru06,

your watch is fully wound when you hear that slight click.. you can even give the watch a shake at that point and still hear the click.

I have heard if you are not super active during the week it does not hurt to top it off once a week or so by winding it manually. I have never done this, and have never had a problem with it running out of steam.:thumbup1:

you're doing fine,

:):)
diver88

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hi mr kwlok.

so we are both from the same little island. the omega is superb.

I think I am so hooked to omega, I cant wait to join the club when I finally take my plunge too...counting the days to omega.

enjoy your watch!!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ru06, diver is correct, I was wondering the same thing about the clicking noise. But this is normal when it's fully wound.

Now you just have to relax, enjoy your watch and dream about your next Omega :thumbup1:

·
Registered
818 Posts
Thanks, guys, so much for the quick and helpful replies! :) I'm definitely enjoying the new SMP! So far she's gained around 4-5 seconds since about 24 hours ago (this is within the COSC standards) so I'm pretty happy about that and who knows, maybe after a few more weeks it'll settle down to around 2-4 seconds per day.
Symtech, I'm afraid you might be right! I may start dreaming soon! lol Oooh the Planet Ocean!! haha

·
Registered
818 Posts
UPDATE: my 2254.50 has gained around 12 seconds in the past 5 days. Isn't this extremely accurate?? I couldn't be happier with these numbers! :wink:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts