WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day (on another forum), Joel and Rob (IIRC) were bemoaning the rise in prices of Elgins on Ebay, and hinting broadly that it was my fault for popularizing the brand.

Pish and tosh, boys! There are still bargains out there! For example, this baby, which I got just today.

Billed as a 'Ladies' watch', it's actually a man's watch, with a 1940s JB Champion bracelet in reasonable working condition!

The movement is a 15j 557, one of the 15/0 series from about 1942. It was listed as not running, because the seller couldn't wind it. I checked, and the bevel pinion and crown wheel were skipping. I've seen this before, when the crown wheel screw is loose. A few turns counterclockwise, and it's fixed!

Running with pretty good amplitude, too! Now, I don't think I'll be able to wear it as it is. Too girly, even though the previous owner's wrist was at least as large as mine.

And what did this set me back?

$10. Ten Dollars for a working watch, with an excellent dial, a decent case, a very good crystal, and a beautiful if somewhat girly bracelet.

OH! Best of all, it completes the 557/558/559 series in my collection!

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Dang Doug!!!!!

I LOVE the fact that it was under "Ladies" watch!

This is a VERY common ebay mistake, and one that is understandable
considering the size of many watches today!

Another fantastic example of why I hunt every day on the swamp...
You NEVER know what you will find!!!

Congrats on a SUPER find!:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Doug, those are some GREAT snags ! ! ! !

Greg you are starting to sound like Forest Gump ! !

"You never know what you're going to get"

LOL ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Kidding aside, there have been some good deals on the bay this month ! ! !

Why just the other day I bought an 18k SOLD GOLD Waltham Depollier Trench Watch for a SUPERB "BIN" price.

Finding the 18k Depolliers is almost IMPOSSIBLE ! ! ! !

It was only listed for 2 minutes before I snatched up that bad boy ! ! !

WHOOOOOHOOOOOO ! ! ! !

It should be here torwards the mid/end of next week.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This week, I got an even BETTER deal! I bid on a watch and won it for $0.99. NINETY NINE CENTS!

It's from the early 1940s, rose gold, with a dial in pretty good condition. Slight brassing at the lug tips but otherwise clean.

Under the hood, there's a 15j 557 movement, dating from 1942 or so. Good balance, nothing obviously wrong. Winds and sets smoothly.

I took it down last night, and the only thing I could find wrong with it was that the old blue steel mainspring was broken. Well, hell - I got plenty of those!

So, there's my proof you can STILL find deals on Elgins on Ebay!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.