WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Is it possible to Order a SS Daytona with a Different dial direct from Rolex?
yes and no.

unless you know you AD very, very well and they are willing to order a dial that is not available to the 116520...

while you are at it, you may as well order matching hands too.

thought when you said "bespoke" - you were talking about having your Daytona dial "re-finished" to a different design. as in "one off".... :001_unsure:

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
yes and no.

unless you know you AD very, very well and they are willing to order a dial that is not available to the 116520...

while you are at it, you may as well order matching hands too.

thought when you said "bespoke" - you were talking about having your Daytona dial "re-finished" to a different design. as in "one off".... :001_unsure:
I thought the same thing..."bespoke" generally refers to something completely manufactured to the owners specifications. Like a bespoke suit....

You'd have to communicate what you're looking for to an AD. Just keep in mind Rolex isn't very flexible. :laugh:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought the same thing..."bespoke" generally refers to something completely manufactured to the owners specifications. Like a bespoke suit....

You'd have to communicate what you're looking for to an AD. Just keep in mind Rolex isn't very flexible. :laugh:
Thanks guys. Sorry, I did mean a 116520 model but with a different Dial. i am aware that different Dials are available for the precious metal variants but not for the SS version.

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Actually the answer is no. Rolex will not allow a non-SS dial to be installed on a SS Daytona. If you want one of the dials that's only available for the 18K versions, you'll need to find it aftermarket, or find a Rolex-authorized watchmaker who's willing to break the rules and risk their Rolex parts account (very unlikely). And even then I don't even think you can do that anymore as Rolex made dials a replace-only part sometime in the past year or so. So if the watchmaker wants a new dial, they have to return the old one that's the same.

An AD will NOT be able to special order the SS Daytona with for example the Panda dial (or any other TT or 18K dial). They can only get it in the white or black. And the AD will not be able to order just the dial either (unless they're also an authorized service location, and in that case see above about the dial being a swap). Rolex's answer will be a very plain & simple "no". Actually, they'll probably put an adjective in front of that no.. :001_unsure:

Now this is in the US. Outside the US you used to be able to get more parts. But in the past year or two that seems to have changed too. Rolex seems to be on a warpath to keep these parts off the secondary market, and to keep the watches original. So I don't think even non-US country AD's can order these parts anymore. There are some on the secondary market, I've seen them from time to time. But there's 2 problems. 1) question of authenticity, it's very hard sometimes to tell if it's original. And 2) the cost for the secondary market dials have skyrocketed since Rolex won't sell them anymore. I've seem some of the Daytona dials selling for $2,000 - 3,000. And that's for the 'plain' metal ones, not the meteorite & more exotic versions.

And, just FYI if you do find one & ever want Rolex to service the watch, you'll have to restore the watch back to it's factory specs. Rolex will NOT service any watch that's not original to that model. So just keep that in the back of your mind. Not an issue if you use local watchmakers, but it is if you ever send it to Rolex.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Short answer..

... No.

It is probably possible [but not easy] to obtain a different dial, someone on a different forum recently posted a thread about their Steel watch which they had 'customised' with a dial from a white gold. It looked all wrong to be honest.
Ruins re sale and make the watch un serviceable i would leave well alone... or trade in for a 18ct.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts