WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IWC PORTUGUESE AUTOMATIC

The Portuguese Automatic, with its 42.3 mm diameter case, houses the largest automatic movement available on the world market, the IWC calibre 5000.

Whilst retaining the classical appearance of the legendary original Portuguese first made in the 1930s, with appliquéd Arabic numerals, railway-style minute chapter ring and slim, swallow-style hands, it comes with all the finest features the company has to offer today:
an exclusive IWC Pellaton winding system
classical small seconds hand
seven-day power reserve display

Together with other new and more advanced features such as the convex, coated sapphire glass, the two-piece case or the back with its screw thread and sapphire glass, the Portuguese Automatic is the watch that would be developed in Schaffhausen if those two Portuguese businessmen were to drop in today with a request for an unusually large and precise wristwatch.

Features:

- Mechanical movement
- Automatic Pellaton winding system
- Seven-day power reserve
- Power reserve display
- Small seconds hand with stop function
- Brequet spring
- Rotor with 18 ct. yellow gold medallion
- Date display
- Convex sapphire glass
- Sapphire glass back
- Water-resistant 30 m

Technical Specs:

- Glass: sapphire, convex, antireflective
- Back: sapphire glass back
- Water-resistant: 3 bar (30 m)
- Case diameter: 42.3 mm
- Case height: 13.9 mm
- Weight:
Portuguese Automatic in 18 ct. white gold with crocodile leather strap: 117 g
Portuguese Automatic in 18 ct. rose gold with crocodile leather strap: 115 g
Portuguese Automatic in stainless steel with crocodile leather strap: 95 g

List price: $10,400 - $19,400 USD.

credit IWC

·
Banned
2,275 Posts
I saw your original post, where you informed us about these threads... And missed the actual first IWC OTD... Go figure :tongue_smilie:

Great watch, and thanks for the info :thumbup: Must look huge on the wrist looking at the diameter (and almost all dial...)

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Wautersjr sir...

It definitely has presence, but less so than you'd think. I'd call it a 'elegant presence'. Mr. Barker just adopted a perpetual calendar version (the bum! :wink: :cool1: ), so I can't wait to see some wrist shots of it....

I think this is one of the best looking round-faced dress watches... :thumbup:

What I also like is the sapphire caseback is the whole caseback. None of this 75% or 50% some manufactures do...

·
Banned
9,135 Posts
I saw the price of the perpetual calendar and went into cardiac arrest. The price I saw was six digits, with the decimal point, 8 digits. That's 5 cars!!! ;)

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey TF - I think you looked at the wrong model. The Portuguese Perpetual Calendars price is 'only' 5 digits.. It's $28-32,000 - depending on the metal used.

I think you were probably looking at the Grand Complication Perpetual Calendar. It is $195-300,000 - depending on the metal. BUT - that is not a mass 'production' model. Only 50 examples are made each year, the movement contains 659 mechanical parts, 71 jewels & 21 functions. It is also a perpetual calendar AND a minute repeater. Don't worry - there'll be a Spotlight for the Grand Complication one day too... :wink: :thumbup1:

·
Registered
20,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Scott: You are correct. I was looking at the Grand Complication. Even the one that is 'only' five digits, sadly the watch is out of my price and marriage range. ;)
Yea - it'll be a long time for me, if ever..

BUT - still a very nice watch!!! :thumbup1:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts