WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this is common knowledge among Speedmaster guys, but I can't find any mention of this subtle change in script in any threads, including Chuck Maddox's detailed pages regarding differences in cases and dials. I was looking at a very worn 105.012 yesterday and noticed the word "PROFESSIONAL" appeared to be a little askew. Then I noticed the script/font wasn't like the 145.012 or any other Pro model I had seen. The word is that the 105.012 was the first model to have the addition of "professional" and that it was not added until 1966; however, the lack of this ref. without "pro" has led to questions as to how many were actually produced without "pro" dials. That's actually a different topic. My focus here is on the script. My reading states that the only difference between the 105.012 and 145.012 dials is the style and spacing of the "T swiss made T" at the bottom of the dial, and there is clearly a difference, but the photos I am posting here seem to suggest the actual font was different...at least on some dials...and the placement of the word "professional" was also slightly different. Again, maybe this has been noted elsewhere, but I cannot find the info. Any comments/ideas are welcome.

The font here is very straight and without any tails or flourishes. Also notice the L is fairly centered beneath the r in speedmaster.

Here, ref. 105.012, you see the L is considerably further to the right beneath the r, and the script is much more stylish.

I know, it's watch geek stuff, but I'm off work today.

·
Banned
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a purdy 105

I have yet to buy one, and I'm not sure my wife will appreciate the importance of owning a 105.012 and a 145.012...along with 7 other vintage Speedmaster Professionals. Some women are just not reasonable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.