WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone awhile back was talking about flogging some of his collection on Ebay. Don't do it!

What a soul sucking experience this last while has been:

One watch MIA in USPS or US Customs, although sent Express Post, Insured, they are saying it can take up to 90 days to get a claim through.

Another one refunded because of "buyers remorse" fully refunded including the original shipping, came back damaged. Do the right thing and where does it get you?

Another one on it's way back likely because of a dead battery.

Listing Buy it now prices of less than I have paid for service/repair on some of my watches and still no takers, just lowball offers of $50/$100 on good running 214's?

I should write a donation check to Ebay/Paypal and get it over with. GRRRRR.

Sorry, just had to vent.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I noticed that paypal and eBay have made it almost impossible for watch sellers to sell on eBay. Any idiot has 20+ days to damage the watch and send it back because it wasn't accurate within a second a day or if they were plainly unsatisfied. I do my best not to powder it up like it's the greatest running watch that will never break. I usually list them as "running" on time or close to. Then I go on to say that IT IS OLD! YOU ARE BUYING HOROLOGICAL AND TECHNOLOGICAL HISTORY. BE PREPARED TO GET IT SERVICED. IT'S OLD. People think it's a new quartz watch. If they want a new quartz watch, buy a new &%$#ing quartz watch.

I'm right there with you, people suck.

I have bought watches and regretted it when I got them, and they were not what I expected. The listing wasn't specific so I just swallowed the cost. I gambled and lost. But now it's a win-win-win for the buyer, and the sellers get screwed. I can understand them proecting the buyers from fraudulent claims and false postings, but come on, we pay 10% and run the risk of getting screwed. I only sell watches that I have nothing to lose on. And, I NEVER ship internationally.

vent.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I have sold a few dozen items on eBay over the past year and have had great results. Not one complaint I am aware of and not one return. Just lucky, I guess. I have returned two watches over the past year because they were not as pictured or described. The return went well and both sellers were gracious and understanding.

·
Banned
605 Posts
ebay is odd right now. There seems to be a lack of stock (members stuff here aside). 2/3 years ago I could find dozens of examples of whatever you wanted to look for. Now it seems harder to find. And prices are all over the shop. Stuff that should go cheap goes for ridiculous money and real quality stuff often goes begging.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
ebay is odd right now. There seems to be a lack of stock (members stuff here aside). 2/3 years ago I could find dozens of examples of whatever you wanted to look for. Now it seems harder to find. And prices are all over the shop. Stuff that should go cheap goes for ridiculous money and real quality stuff often goes begging.
For sure! I am searching for two watch boxes of a certain style that were all over eBay last year and are scarce this year. Not particularly rare of sought after, either. I recently bought a Russial Vostok about 25 years old and in near mint condition - $18 shipped! They usually go for much more and in poorer condition. Go figure.

·
Premium Member
5,779 Posts
I hate to hear anybody having issues with buying/selling on ebay. I have to say that for the most part the 'watch' community on ebay has been good to me. I am always cautious of coarse and try to do my homework on whatever I buy but the items I have bought the past 6 months (25 watches) all have be delivered without issue and for the most part exceeded my expectations. 3 have been from Bulgaria and even those shipping times averaged only 17 days. Nothing lost or damaged. I do feel lucky. I have wrapped up my purchases for now and am glad the most recent buying spree didn't sour me on this fun hobby!!! I think I would get very frustrated if I were to have a string of issues relating to buying&selling. Its no fun.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry for my earlier rant. I should clarify, I have had great luck buying. Sure there are delays, but I have come to accept that as I mainly buy from outside of Canada.

My most recent issues were really just "stuff happens" kind of things but they all seemed to come at once. What topped it off was I had to deal with a few newbie buyers that were a little "difficult". I've sold lots of vintage car and bike parts and dealt with lots of knowledgable buyers with no problems.

As far as my earlier comment about not to bother with Ebay, I take it back. Please will someone list a nice black dial SS Astronaut with a low buy it now and PM me right away? LOL;)

·
Banned
605 Posts
I read something yesterday where they have changed their logo (I just wish they'd make their website more user friendly. It hasn't changed in what feels like 20 years) and they are wanting to move right away from the auction format and quirky things and collectables to straight 'buy now' new merchandise. :scared:

Sellers will find another outlet. It could be a good thing. Weed out the crap you have to filter on ebay. It would be a shame though if that outlet/source of stuff became totally fractured and hard to track. Unfortunately, Down Under you don't have other options. Our population is less than 1/10th of the US. So the market is tiny and usually into the REAL expensive stuff.

The prices sellers want for watches at antique stores or markets (when you can find any) are just utterly ridiculous. Unknown watches that are in terrible condition, don't work and they'll bare faced ask $650 for it. Because it's old. :001_rolleyes:

·
Banned
605 Posts
Sorry for my earlier rant. I should clarify, I have had great luck buying. Sure there are delays, but I have come to accept that as I mainly buy from outside of Canada.

My most recent issues were really just "stuff happens" kind of things but they all seemed to come at once. What topped it off was I had to deal with a few newbie buyers that were a little "difficult". I've sold lots of vintage car and bike parts and dealt with lots of knowledgable buyers with no problems.

As far as my earlier comment about not to bother with Ebay, I take it back. Please will someone list a nice black dial SS Astronaut with a low buy it now and PM me right away? LOL;)
I read that post - you poor bugger! I really did want that M5..............

I couldn't STAND losing a watch in the mail. Man, that would ruin my month......

Touch wood, I've never lost anything but that's only on about 40 items.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I also apologize for the rant. I have had relatively good luck. I have heard horror stories though, and it sickens me. My favorite are the heirlooms or widows selling old pieces that got left in a drawer. Those people are always the nicest, and go out of their way to make you happy. I make sure to thank them graciously and let them know that it will be resurrected to original form and worn and enjoyed for years to come.

Either way, I'm still nervous when selling. I have no problem buying, but like I said, the ball is in the buyer's court.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I gave up selling on Ebay when my fully restored and correct Accutrons either wouldn't sell or I got ridiculous low ball offers.

·
Registered
254 Posts
That's the thing. I never sell anything that's worth a crap to me. Just stuff that I picked up really cheap and only wanted it to flip. Sometimes I take the band and sell the watch. Sometimes that's the only way to get a band you need. I am currently trying to find a lobster style band for my 18kt plated cushion spaceview. The ends are one-off to that watch. I bought one for my uncle and gave him the original band with it. I don't think he knows what he has. But, I wish I had kept it :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
You can ship internationally by charging $11.75 extra for registration which is the safest way to track an item.
by the way, eBay and PayPal together charge 13% listing not included.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Had not noticed that! Been a while since I listed anything. Will be interesting to see how that works out. Could intensify bidding or turn off some potential bidders.
half of the rush for the bidder is the ambiguity. I don't want to know everything... I can also see this turning off potential bidders if they see too many others following. I like to pretend I'm the only one in the world that wants it.

·
Banned
605 Posts
half of the rush for the bidder is the ambiguity. I don't want to know everything... I can also see this turning off potential bidders if they see too many others following. I like to pretend I'm the only one in the world that wants it.
I agree. If 50 people are watching something I'm going to chicken out. There is every chance they have more $$ than me!!

And ebay openly states they are moving away from auctions and collectables. They want Buy Now retail crap sort of stuff. This is a step that way. If I see 36 people watching something I want, what hope have I got???? So no-one will list as auction, it'll be buy now but cheap.

Stuff is drying up on flea bay fairly quickly........

·
Banned
43 Posts
The only way to win on ebay is to place a bid on an item that is the maximum you'd feel comfortable spending, then forget about it. If you get it for less, great! If it goes for more, you shouldn't be kicking yourself... and if you are, then you know that the next time you see one you better bid higher, because you'll regret it if you don't.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.