WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there guys!!...I'm new to this forum, but I thought I'd let you guys know that I just ordered a Seiko SPB001 today...I favor automatic movements, and this is 1st non Swiss watch I've ordered since my old Seiko quartz Sport 100 in 1981!!!...Pictures of the watch look good on the Seiko web site, and w/ a case diameter of 47mm, it should just be huge!!!..it has the power reserve complication I've grown to appreciate and day and date circles...I promise to do a review of it after I've had for awhile and post it on this forum...anyone else out there that has any experience w/ a SPB001???:001_smile:

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Hi there guys!!...I'm new to this forum, but I thought I'd let you guys know that I just ordered a Seiko SPB001 today...I favor automatic movements, and this is 1st non Swiss watch I've ordered since my old Seiko quartz Sport 100 in 1981!!!...Pictures of the watch look good on the Seiko web site, and w/ a case diameter of 47mm, it should just be huge!!!..it has the power reserve complication I've grown to appreciate and day and date circles...I promise to do a review of it after I've had for awhile and post it on this forum...anyone else out there that has any experience w/ a SPB001???:001_smile:

Welcome to our forum Thunder1! :thumbup1:​

I am very much looking forward to your review!
The 6R20 appears to be a better decorated and
finished high beat version of the 6R15 that is in
Seiko's Spirit and Alpanist line. I will be waiting to
see some pics; welcome once again! :thumbup:​

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx for posting the photos, valvestem!!!...the one w/ the bracelet...which Swiss movement do you guys think the 6R20 most closely mimics??

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Thanx for posting the photos, valvestem!!!...the one w/ the bracelet...which Swiss movement do you guys think the 6R20 most closely mimics??
I don't think one can answer that; the Seiko is quite unique.
Seiko's automatic movements use a special patented
"magic lever" winding system that you will not find on any
Swiss movement.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Congrats Thunder1!!!

FYI - I believe the case size is 42mm. Here are the specs I found:

Premier Automatic Collection.
Stainless steel case and bracelet.
Black pattern dial with silver tone hands and markers.
Day and date subdials.
Spring Wind indicator.
Precise Japanese self-winding automatic movement. New generation of movement offers better accuracy, longer run time, time stop when crown is out, and manual wind option.
Push-button deployment clasp.
Scratch resistant Sapphire crystal.
Water resistant to 100m .
Case measures 42mm diameter by 13mm thick.

Gary

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx for the update FloridaGary!!!...now that I have this watch on order, my interest in similar grade Seikos has been piqued!!...I know that there is a series of Grand Seikos, but is there a line of Seikos just beneath GS that has the same or one step better grade of movement, the same or just a little higher priced, and that we have access to???..any info would be appreciated...for example, the auto Flightmaster seems very cool...anyone know how one could get that watch and similar Seikos???

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Thunder1, I sent you a PM on where you can obtain these type of Japan-only domestic Seiko's. BTW, there is no grade of mechanical movement made by Seiko that is better than the ones used in the Grand Seiko. :thumbup1: The Marine Master Diver uses an un-decorated version of a Grand Seiko movement. :tongue_smilie:

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Hello Thunder1,

You will be very pleased with your SPB001. These Premier Automatics available here in Asia are very nice watches. I almost landed one but did not because of the lack of lume. That was a couple of years ago.

I was very impressed with the attention to detail and sheer beauty of the decorated movement. The 6R20 has power reserve feature besides day/date. The 8bps Cal gives it smoother second hand movement. Congrats and enjoy it when it arrives.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Hey Thunder,

Do take some pics and let us know your impressions when you get your watch. Try not to think of comparisons between Seiko's movements and Swiss movements. While they all have different levels of refinement and complications that is where the similarity ends. They have different philosophies and methods that make them very special in their own right.

John H (our forum leader) toured Rolex in NYC once and met up with one of his friends (John Corbett) there that works for Rolex as a watchmaker. When asked what made him excited about watch movements, he admitted that he was most fascinated with Seiko and their innovative and unusual implementations to common watchmaker problems (e.g. the magic level and others).

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SPB001 has Arrived!!!

Well, my Seiko SPb001(black dial, SS bracelet) arrived yesterday afternoon and I have already had the bracelet sized!!!..A few quick observations & impressions...1)case diameter is ~40mm w/o crown..2)the entire case and dial hands are highly polished, bracelet has alternate brushed/polished surfaces, sub dials are brushed SS( I think)...affect is that the watch seems have a high 'bling,bling' factor.....seems very, very flashy..3)the power reserve sub dial, in the shape of a large football, really stands out visually and does not seem obtrusive...the info displayed on the 2 smaller day and day of week sub dials are, alas, too small to be easily reconized by my aging eyes... 4)in terms of ease of use, the crown(non screw down, unsigned) is much easier to wind then, say, a ETA/Valjoux 7750 movement...as seen through the screw down display back, the rotor of the 6r20 movement is decorated(perlage???)...also, when twisting the watch around, the rotor does not seem to rotate anywhere near as freely as the aforementioned 7750 movement...5)this is a tall, heavy watch that I would consider appropriate for both the office and evenings out(but then, we do things a little more casually down here in Central Texas)....6)this is a 'quick beat' movement based upon the 6r15 movement...to my untrained eyes, I can't really tell a difference in the smootheness in the sweep of the large second hand vs. that of a slower movement(i.e. 7750)...anyway, those are my initial impressions...I'll try not to be too obvious in showing it off today at work!!!

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Well, my Seiko SPb001(black dial, SS bracelet) arrived yesterday afternoon and I have already had the bracelet sized!!!..A few quick observations & impressions...1)case diameter is ~40mm w/o crown..2)the entire case and dial hands are highly polished, bracelet has alternate brushed/polished surfaces, sub dials are brushed SS( I think)...affect is that the watch seems have a high 'bling,bling' factor.....seems very, very flashy..3)the power reserve sub dial, in the shape of a large football, really stands out visually and does not seem obtrusive...the info displayed on the 2 smaller day and day of week sub dials are, alas, too small to be easily reconized by my aging eyes... 4)in terms of ease of use, the crown(non screw down, unsigned) is much easier to wind then, say, a ETA/Valjoux 7750 movement...as seen through the screw down display back, the rotor of the 6r20 movement is decorated(perlage???)...also, when twisting the watch around, the rotor does not seem to rotate anywhere near as freely as the aforementioned 7750 movement...5)this is a tall, heavy watch that I would consider appropriate for both the office and evenings out(but then, we do things a little more casually down here in Central Texas)....6)this is a 'quick beat' movement based upon the 6r15 movement...to my untrained eyes, I can't really tell a difference in the smootheness in the sweep of the large second hand vs. that of a slower movement(i.e. 7750)...anyway, those are my initial impressions...I'll try not to be too obvious in showing it off today at work!!!
Thunder1,

Great news! It's finally with you. Enjoy the watch. It's a great piece by Seiko Japan. BTW the 6R20 is not based on 6R15. It's a different movement altogether, much more refined and classier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts