WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now Gals and Guys

We probably wear our (main ) watches on average 10 to 12 hours a day, right? The service interval of a cal 1120 SMP is approximately 5 years. So if you wear your watch 6 hours a day, would the service interval be lengthened proportionately?

You may say that 6 hours a day may not be sufficient to keep the power reserve topped up but would this affect the watch? Let's assume that it doesn't and 6 hours is ample, what do you say to my original hypothesis?

....... at least before the men in white coats come for me :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Y'all be well now pals :001_smile:

ZIN

·
Registered
979 Posts
Hey Bud,

Your lubrication oils would be drying out just the same.

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Mr MacDaddy

How you pal?

So are you saying that when a watch is made, it essentially has a shelf life equivalent to its' service interval since the oils will dry out? The Co-Axial movement is expected to have a service interval approximating ten years but they use the same oils as the 1120 or 1861.....

While oils drying out will I imagine eventually happen, service intervals I would have thought were based on how much wear and tear a watch experiences.

My 2c ;)

Be well pal and catch up soon :001_smile:

ZIN

PS - Still kicking myself over having missed Ed Cernan the other day. May not get the chance again...

·
Registered
748 Posts
well, theoretically, if you stopped the watch when you took it off, and then re-started it when you put it on, it would effectively reduce the number of oscillations per year for that watch, and the subsequent wear on sliding parts would also be reduced (assuming the oil is not the issue).

If you wear the watch less than some other person, but neither you nor the other person stop the watch, the wear is essentially the same, right? (same number of oscillations per year)

Make sense?:confused1:

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it does my friend though it probably isn't the most practical way to make three hundred bucks stretch further :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Hey I'm not trying to save three hundred bucks. Just making conversation amongst amigos, you understand.

Be well and talk soon pal :001_smile:

ZIN

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
So long as the watch keeps running, the only additional wear from longer wrist time would be on the winding rotor and ratchet that is attached to the mainspring....

Modern synthetic lubricants are light years ahead of the old whale oils used in the past century and don't dry out or migrate to the bottom of the watch like they used to...

Isn't it a bit like cars....The old fossil oils were recommended to be changed at 3000 miiles, where the new oils and synthetics have upped that to 5 and even 10 thousand mile intervals, yet there are still many who insist that they need to change every 3000, just like they (or their dad) always did...

:001_rolleyes:

·
Banned
9,123 Posts
This is interesting. Some forums (IWC, Rolex, General) on the other board had this debate, and it ranged widely from every five to 10 years, or whenever the watch stopped keeping 'accurate' time. Not accurate in the fact it was synched with the Atomic clock; but, accurate as if the watch was always +2 a day, then all of a sudden, it was -10, it was time to get it serviced.

Interesting what Larry said about fossil oils. My friend has a 5 series BMW, and if I recall, they recommend an oil change very 15K miles! Can you imagine our grandparents trying to adjust from 3K to 15K? Times do change......

:)

·
Banned
2,275 Posts
Can't give an answer on the question, since I don't know too much about movements and the technology within. But I know for a fact that if you would only wear it for 6 hours instead of 12, you'll be enjoying it only half as much... :D

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well that's logical statistics for you coming from our resident statistician :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Enjoy your weekend Mr Wautersjr

ZIN

1 - 10 of 10 Posts