WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys !

I was going through my bins looking for a dial the other day and I came across these other dials.

I guess that these poor souls were just not meant to survive history (or survive some hack that didn't know what he/she was doing).

I NEVER toss dials out, they just go into the bins and are saved for some reason or another.

Some might be used one day but all have sustained major damage that has ruined them in one way or another.

Darn shame that they were not taken better care of as some of them are quite rare, I would pay an insane amount for some of them in pristine condition like the last RED 12 Elgin near the bottom ! ! !

Elgin size 6s, hand painted.

Elgin size 0s, tri-color.

Hayward Watch Company with a "USA" stamp, size 0s, two tone.

Waltham size 0s, USA stamp, Arabic.

Elgin size 0s, BOLD Roman numeral RED XII.

Elgin size 3/0s, Star Dial.

Elgin size 3/0s, metal dial with a RED 12 and a "USA" stamp, 11-17 date stamp, faded RED 12, (very rare factory metal RED 12).

Lancet, Lignes 15 3/8, ENAMEL dial with a RED 12 and the seconds at 9 ! ! ! !

Waltham size 3/0s, RED 12 with a "USA" stamp.

Elgin size 0s, NO SUNKEN SUB SECOND, RED 12 with the EXTREMELY rare "MADE IN USA" fully spelled out ! ! ! !
(This one hurts the most ! ! ! !)

Waltham, size 0s, Bold Roman numerals.

Once again, just such a bummer that these beautiful dials were not taken better care of over the years.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Don't get too bummed out ! ! !

I have HUNDREDS of dials that are in pristine condition and they are ALL being properly stored for future use !

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hey guys !

I was going through my bins looking for a dial the other day and I came across these other dials.

I guess that these poor souls were just not meant to survive history (or survive some hack that didn't know what he/she was doing).

I NEVER toss dials out, they just go into the bins and are saved for some reason or another.

Some might be used one day but all have sustained major damage that has ruined them in one way or another.

Darn shame that they were not taken better care of as some of them are quite rare, I would pay an insane amount for some of them in pristine condition like the last RED 12 Elgin near the bottom ! ! !

Elgin size 6s, hand painted.

Elgin size 0s, tri-color.

Hayward Watch Company with a "USA" stamp, size 0s, two tone.

Waltham size 0s, USA stamp, Arabic.

Elgin size 0s, BOLD Roman numeral RED XII.

Elgin size 3/0s, Star Dial.

Elgin size 3/0s, metal dial with a RED 12 and a "USA" stamp, 11-17 date stamp, faded RED 12, (very rare factory metal RED 12).

Lancet, Lignes 15 3/8, ENAMEL dial with a RED 12 and the seconds at 9 ! ! ! !

Waltham size 3/0s, RED 12 with a "USA" stamp.

Elgin size 0s, NO SUNKEN SUB SECOND, RED 12 with the EXTREMELY rare "MADE IN USA" fully spelled out ! ! ! !
(This one hurts the most ! ! ! !)

Waltham, size 0s, Bold Roman numerals.

Once again, just such a bummer that these beautiful dials were not taken better care of over the years.

I routinely use dials much worse then these. I greatly prefer an original dial to a redone one. Please hold on to them. I can never discard a dial, regardless of its condition.

Cheer up.

FJF

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
ooooo Stan ....that first one with the handpainted dial.....that is amazing ......

and other than the one with the giant missing chunk around the 11, the rest of them aren't so bad .......I have certainly had much worse.....and lived happily with them ......

ahhhhh perfectionism........it is a tough mistress eh ?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can work some real miracles on enamel dials. I have come up with a pretty good cleaning solution that I use in the ultrasonic machine. About 75% of the enamel dials that I treat will have the visible hairlines removed when they are done. But, some dials just can't be saved unfortunately. I tried to save all of the above dials except for the Lancet, this is as good as they will ever get.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I routinely use dials much worse then these. I greatly prefer an original dial to a redone one. Please hold on to them. I can never discard a dial, regardless of its condition.

Cheer up.

FJF
I buy a TON of dials annually, mostly because they seller won't let me cherry pick the lot for the very tasty ones!

I have got away from refinishing dials in the past six months or so, unless somebody specifically asks for it to be done.

Like you, I would MUCH rather have "THE" original dial ! ! !

But, if a dial is completely ruined I will replace it with the exact same factory dial, that's why I buy so many of them.

You never know what you are going to need down the road.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Content removed by the person to whom the intellectual property belongs due to disagreement with site policy and to avoid allowing the site owner to exploit this said content for his selfish monetary gain

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I have tried every trick in the book in order to remove these three lines on the the dial below.

But, I will give it one more try with the Simple Green today after I get some from the store.

The problem is that they are VERY deep.

Some BONEHEAD tried to jerri rig this dial onto the WRONG movement ! ! ! ! !

Dials like this one without a sub dial have different dial feet locations on the movement compared to a dial that does have a sub dial.

The BONEHEAD tried to snip off the second hand post on the fourth wheel and then tried to snip off one of the dial feet to retro fit it onto the wrong movement ! ! ! !

The dial foot that he snipped off is the one underneath the "11" on the dial, that is how all of this damage happened.

Wish I could go back in time and tackle this guy before he picked up a pair of cutters and DESTROYED this dial ! ! ! !

I am NOT prone to violence but some people just need to be taken out back ! ! ! !

This Elgin WWI military dial is the HARDEST one to find out of all of the size 0s out there ! ! ! ! ! ! !

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Great thread! A lot of info covered here! :thumbup1:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just went to Jewel (a big local chain store) and they did not have any Simple Green ! ! !

ARRRGGG ! ! ! !

I'll try again tomorrow someplace else.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Seeing those dials....yikes! :scared:
I'm glad Grandpa's watch is in better shape. This two-toned dial will NEVER be abused!

Reactions: Valtyr

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ace and Home Depot always have it for me.

It is the best cleaner ever.

Costco also carries it as my wife loves the stuff and we buy it massive quantities. Now I am glad if helps with the hairlines. Great advice.

Thanks
FJF

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I FINALLY scored some simple green ! ! ! !

Now it's time for some results ! ! ! !

I swear, these are the same dials ! ! ! ! !

But, this dial STILL looks exactly the same with no change, these three lines are as deep as the Black Hole of Culcutta ! ! !

1 - 20 of 23 Posts