WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's a reminder of the watch that needs re-enameling.....

so, I am gonna give this a shot at enameling .......I know to get Testor's Enamel, and use a spotting brush....( an old fashioned teeny tiny brush that comes to a sharp point used to "spot" out white spots in photo prints......)

I was actaully pretty good at spotting ......

there is one leeeetle problem about this watch that has me concerned .....if you look carefully you can see the remnants of the green and black paint......and er .....the colors are not nearly straight up and down or on concentric lines around the crystal .....nope they angle in at each other and cross paths with every color change .....yikes !

...so ....so I put in all the greens and clean off any edge leaks, then put the black in and hope that none bleed too far over and creep into the green area......does the paint dry hard enough so that if the green is very dry and some black is smeared aross it while cleaning the black, will the black clean without staining the green parts?

How would one of you guys who have done this enameling do this ? ........

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
....Now I have thought of the paint pen ...however there is a difference between the usual embossed bezel, and this one .......and that is ....the usual one has an indentation grove, and inside that grove is the design ....leaves, greek keys , whatever ....and you want the paint to go down in the grooves left by the embossed design .....and the thickness of the lines is determined by the different heights of the pushed up parts......they are really bas reliefs in miniature......

whereas the design of this bezel is very clean and sharp......so the enamel is in a flat bottomed shaped groove......and the paint will have to be built up in layers to fill those little pockets right up to the very edge ......

I think it might take 47 coats of the paint pen paints......and the more layers you do the more likely that you will run into problems with a clean edge .....

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yah and I just spent an hour looking for the correct color of green ....the paint pen green is way too dark,.......but even with the bottles....it looks like I'll have to mix to get the right green ......lucky for me I have spent the last 2 years mixing paint all summer .....

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Sal,

I'd call it "Sea Foam" if you can find a color like that. Add a little white and maybe some darker green to the paint. It might made it look alright. It is a very unique green.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep that's the one .....I also call it "20s green" in the 20s this color was verrrrrry popular in decorating too .... bathroom tiles, paint , appliances ( have you ever seen a stove on legs in 20s green ? .....to die for !)

of all the greens it is one of my tippy top favorites.........and goes with so many other colors.....

when you use a specific color like a paint or enamel color you usually are limiting yourself by that choice ....which is why so many decorators and clothes are done in neutral colors.......but this green is almost a neutral color it goes with that many other colors .....

·
Registered
254 Posts
Sally, you definately have the more difficult enameling job to make look good. Filling in the low spots in bas relief designs and polishing it off the high spots is easy. Other case designs like my Elgin Clubman have larger areas of enamel but they are not filled even with the surrounding metal. They can be done with a single coat taking care to make it flat and even. Then the outline can be cleaned up with a toothpick and a little buffing. Your Elgin will need a different technique to fill the enamel areas. Many coats with the patience to let it dry in between. Once you start to get the outside edges built up, you should be able to concentrate on the middle and spend less time cleaning up the outlines. It may take several weeks and will definitly challenge your ADD. Start with one of the small triangles and develope your chops. If you start getting frustrated, leave it for a while and work on something else. You can always clean everything back to bare metal and start over. Just avoid using any tools tbat will damage the gold fill. For more help you might reseach enameled jewelry repair on the web. Most jewelry is done with fired enamel but you should find some tips out there. Good luck, Joel

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Joel....you got exactly what I was talking about with the different types of enameling ......and one of the things about ADD is that we are also know for our ability to "hyper-focus " .......I will be calling on that ability for sure !

actually, this is the kind of thing that I am rather good at .......working on the watches themselves is working with even smaller pieces .......I know my limits !

I am wondering if I can put a tiny piece of probably the sticky part of a Post-It note over the already painted parts to mask one color off......should make painting the adjacent parts a lot easier ......it's either that or start at the cebter and work my way out .......

and like I said ..this call for a spotting brush .....better than deconstructing an existing brush, they are reaaaalllly small, thin and have a very fine point to begin with ....

and I betcha I could use the same color for at least the first 1/2 of the underlaying layers, and then switch to using both the colors at the 1/2 mark.....should make it a bit easier.....and it certainly is going to take several layers of paint to fill those cavities......

but how can I not do it ? ....especially since I have already sent the hands and dial off to ID .....beautifully done new dial, and nicely clean and glowing stained glass-like hands in a case with chipped enamel ??? .....I don't think so !

I shall let you guys know how it's going as the project gets underway .....and with photos of course !

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
.........:blink:....ok guys ....wish me luck ......I have the case, cleaned by Jerry, ....my 2 minscule brushes...18/0 and 10/0 ......each about 1/8 of an inch long....several bottles of Tester gloss enamel ....the black is easy ....but I have to come up with the correct green .....luckily....I have been a paint mixing fool for the last few years....after a lifetime of B&W photography......I am getting pretty good at it .....

some thinner......all I gotta do is find a small bottle, empty it, put the thinner in it , and then I'll have a teeny bottle for the newly mixed green......

....I'll be tackling the first attempt tomorrow......I don't want to do this under artificial light ....gotta be natural light ......

Reactions: BrianG and Valtyr

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
......Update on the enameling job .....

....got everything out ....that was easy ......dipped the brush .....not too hard.....tryed to put the brush in the groove ......not possible ......

....a couple of days of intensive ebay searching for the best deal on a magnifying glass on a stand .....

...which should be arriving today ......keep your fingers crossed......

Reactions: Valtyr
1 - 12 of 12 Posts