WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

Some Fun with the Illinois Beau Monde...

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  RJ007 
#1 ·
With all this talk of the Illinois Beau Monde/Geste,
I thought it would be nice to show some to the Gang.

I have 3 different Dial Variations:

Here is a WGF, TT and the elusive YGF Rick and Fred talked about...

With the Gold Numbers, Sparkle finish:

With Drop Shadow Numbers, Sparkle finish:

And here is the YGF with a NOS Pink Gold numbered Sparkle Dial!

3 shots:

Enjoy!

See less See more
#3 ·
I only have one thing to say ........YUM

#7 ·
Rick

I think that the dial on the YGF one above has the raised gold numerals. There is also a beautiful white dial variation with black numbers. I am currently on a three week business trip. Once I get home I may try to post a picture of it.

There is also a super rare WGF Beau Monde with a hinged bezel that had to be a prototype as only one has ever surfaced.

Thanks
FJF

#9 ·
As a collector of both Illinois and Hamilton... and to a lesser extent Elgin and Gruen also, one thing I really like about Illinois is there seem to be far more dial variations than other American watchmakers. Not only does this allow for fun collecting, it also must have allowed for far more personalization when originally purchased. I would imagine that the gentleman who liked Illinois cases might also have enjoyed knowing that every watch to be delivered would not be exactly like his.

#10 ·
As a collector of both Illinois and Hamilton... and to a lesser extent Elgin and Gruen also, one thing I really like about Illinois is there seem to be far more dial variations than other American watchmakers. Not only does this allow for fun collecting, it also must have allowed for far more personalization when originally purchased. I would imagine that the gentleman who liked Illinois cases might also have enjoyed knowing that every watch to be delivered would not be exactly like his.

Rick

I agree with your observation with respect to the dials on the Illinois wristwatches but the Illinois Watch Company also produced a great variation of case options for the same model. Some models came in white or yellow or in two tone with engraved bezels or plain bezels? And either the engraved bezel and plain bezel cases also could come in white or yellow or two tone cases. And all of these case variations could come with a choice of several dials as Rick so aptly points out. Also, the Illinois watches also had different names for the same models if they came with a metal band as opposed to a leather strap. Please note as well that the model could have a different name if it had a different jewel count in its movement. The amount of the possible variations for each model is quite astounding in my view.

As a very serious collector I have always crazily tried to collect every variation. It is a truly fascinating hunt.

Thanks
FJF

#14 ·
An embarrassment of riches! I like the one with the pink gold/sparkle dial best.
But where are the movement shots?
Here you go Doug!

Rick
As a very serious collector I have always crazily tried to collect every variation. It is a truly fascinating hunt.
Thanks
FJF
That is half the fun Fred!

collecting Illinois watches is a bit of a different art than collecting Hamiltons...and perhaps that also leads to Illinois collectors being thought of as fanatical? :) Though it sure would be nice if the Illinois files were one day unearthed in the pile of Hamilton files yet to be examined at the NAWCC museum -- so we could have similar production data.
Thank Goodness for Fred's book, It is what keeps me grounded when I come across a new variation
that needs explaining!

Illinois, on the other hand, is a much more laborious brand when trying to master even the basics. That is why this forum is such a wonder. With all of the variances by model that Rick and Fred have just described and Greg has shown, it can be quite perplexing to the average passerby.
And, I would guess that the personality type of most of the hardcore collectors has to be similar.
You have to be dedicated, hard searching, attentive to detail, and always vigilant.
Not sure if I will get all the way there but, I am patient.:wink:
I am going to do a separate posting called "Illinois 101" for all the new Illinois Fans out
there...
It can seem overwhelming until you get Fred's book... The reason I swear by it is simple:
-It is in alphabetical order (according to name of each watch)
-It is very user friendly
-It has basically everything you need as far as descriptions, dials, movements etc.
-The photos are beautiful for easy reference (don't know the name, use photo, Ahhh.)
-There is incredible historical background on the company.
-If it isn't in the book... FRED IS HERE!

*** Bonus: As Fred has HINTED, he has access to many Illinois out there
that you just never see in the wild... If you are looking for something, Just PM him!
You guys/Gals have no idea what a treat it is to have him here!
It has taken Years for him to get the time to stop by, trust me
He is a wonderful and friendly guy!:biggrin:***
G

#12 ·
Let me preface by saying, "I only know a bit about either Hamilton or, Illinois", when compared with the minds here. But, I would wholeheartedly agree that Hamilton is much more inclusive to the casual collector. A person can quite easily determine how rare or common a Hamilton is by the info available and ascertain its value.

Illinois, on the other hand, is a much more laborious brand when trying to master even the basics. That is why this forum is such a wonder. With all of the variances by model that Rick and Fred have just described and Greg has shown, it can be quite perplexing to the average passerby.

And, I would guess that the personality type of most of the hardcore collectors has to be similar. You have to be dedicated, hard searching, attentive to detail, and always vigilant. Not sure if I will get all the way there but, I am patient.:wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.