WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

soliciting opinions on a Speedmaster 2998

3K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  MSNWatch 
#1 ·
I've been doing research on the 2998 Speedmasters, but I'm hoping a few of you regulars will have some new insights/opinions. Please check ebay item 200701663019 and let me know what you think of that watch. I spoke with the seller, and he will do better on the price...in fact I am hoping to trade a watch for it. The configuration of the hands on the sub dials seem to vary in the photos I have seen. As with other watches, it seems there are few hard and fast rules as to which things MUST be on which version of a given Speedmaster. I will also put up a photo of the watch since I know you all love photos.

I love the look of the watch and the patina on the markers, hands, etc. The coloring appears almost too even, but I guess it could be right. Also, does anyone know anything about the seller? He deals in some pretty pricey items...many that make my watches seem like a bunch of Timex Electrics. I'm open to all opinions, please. Oh, and I know the bezel is a little off to one side...not hard to remedy. The movement serial is right on, and it is working as it should and looks nice inside.

See less See more
#2 ·
The bezel has tell-tale signs of being replaced. Besides being misaligned, there are marks all around the edge of the insert just far enough apart to suggest somebody used some kind of tool to push it in. Can't say this as fact, but it's circumstancial evidence.

On top of that, IMO the price is INSANE.

#4 ·
The price is absurd, agreed...

And the seller already said he would take 8500 for the watch, but I'm thinking it's worth closer to 6 or 7. One sold on Ebay recently that must have gone quick for 6k, but they aren't ever offered for that kind of price. I passed on this watch, but if anyone knows of good candidate, I'm in the market. Thanks.

#5 ·
I talked about this watch with Jesse / omega564 last night. We both figured it was a $5K watch. I don't follow Speedmasters as closely as other vintage Omegas, but I can't see it being worth that much more. Even though vintage prices are headed north at an alarming rate I think $8500 is still too much.

#6 ·
I mean this with all sincerity...

If anyone knows where I can buy one or two 2998s similar to the watch in the photo for 5k...or even 6k...or 7k, please point me in the direction. I have been looking at sites all over the world, and all but one or two 2998s listed anywhere in the last several years are sold or priced between 8k and 15k. As a buyer, I would love to find these watches at a lower price. Please send me any links you find or put me in touch with anyone you know selling one in that ballpark. I contacted a few of the people who had sold similar watches, and they claimed to have gotten 8k, 9k, and 10k for their watches. Those of you who already own a 2998 should be thrilled.

#8 · (Edited)
I hope I'm wrong...

but those are the prices I'm seeing and hearing. If you take a look, you'll see that no one on Ebay ever actually lets one of the 2998 models sell in a real auction. They always have a high BIN/offer. Whereas if you look, you can find even a straight lug (105.003) Speedmaster selling at auction from time to time. I suspect if a 2998 in average cond. sold at auction, it would bring closer to 6K....maybe even a little less with flaws. They are pretty tough to find. Again, let me know if you hear of one that seems like a good deal, please.

#9 ·
I follow these watches closely

And that particular watch is at least a $7-8k watch in that condition. I reckon with the original 7912 stretch bracelet, that's a 9-10k watch. If these watches in this condition were sold for $5k head only, I would buy 10 or even 20 of them in a heartbeat. 2998s in this condition are quite uncommon - for every 10 2998s that I see (and there aren't that many of them to begin with), 1 will be in this shape. Remember the old collecting mantra - condition, condition, condition.
I would add that cal. 321 speedmasters particularly the earlier straight lug speedmasters in very nice and all original condition are the closest thing to investments in the vintage omega world.

#11 ·
MSN, thanks for the input

I have talked further with the seller of the watch I showed at the start of this thread, and the price has improved somewhat, but it's still pretty steep. I may have to sell something to justify buying it. With regard to the different styles of hands used on the 2998 models, MSN, or others, is there a hard and fast rule as to which models had the "lollipop" sweep second hand or the sub dial hands that are tapered? I have seen the lollipop pictured with a few different versions, and I suspect many have been installed recently. I'd like to see one of those lollipops with working lum operating in the dark. It must quite a sight to see that glowing ball moving around the dial.

#12 ·
My thoughts

Alpha subdial hands (perhaps the tapered ones you are referring to) were present in the -1 up to -3 versions. These are the same models I have seen the lollipop hands in. Also, the -1 and -2 had the base 1000 bezel though I have seen a few -2 versions over the years without it so I suspect the non base-1000 bezel could be original for the -2. The 2998-1 is virtually identical to the 2915-3 in configuration. This version is all original from what I can see and admittedly not a bargain but for the price range I defined a fair deal for a difficult-to-find-in-this-condition speedmaster.

#13 ·
Your thoughts are appreciated....

I have come close to pulling the trigger on this one, but I'm not quite there yet. Did you see the crown? I've seen some 2998 crowns in photos, and some have the little "star" in the middle of the omega symbol, but most do not. Is that crown original to this watch? Does the patina on the markers appear legit to you? It's so even and nicely colored, I'm skeptical. And do you own any 2998 models?

#14 ·
And...

I'm pretty new to the Omega world, as you can tell, but from the research I've done, it appears these watches have doubled or tripled in value in the last several years, and even during the awful economy of late they seem to be doing well. What is your opinion as to the potential for appreciation over the next....ten years or so? The 2998s strike me as good investments. The 2915s probably were great investments several years ago, but now they must all be in private collections.

#15 ·
My thoughts II

Patina - no question totally legit for the radium markers. That crown is totally original to the watch and these crowns with the mercedes logo by themselves go for $150-200 when available. Excellent investments IMHO - very, very few watches have the history of the speedmaster. I've said it before - these are the closest thing to a good investment in the world of vintage omegas. The best of the 2998s don't come cheap and something this nice and this original don't come along often. Bottom line here is there is no question in my mind as to the originality and the excellent condition of the piece.

#16 ·
My thanks II

Well, the deal is done, and it should be pulled from Ebay soon. I'll put up some photos of it with a different strap once it arrives. I hope I can stop buying Speedmasters now. The 2915 seems to be out of range, and I have yet to see one for sale at any price, so I think I've reached my Speemaster summit with this one. I intend to wear it a good bit, so it's not going into retirement just yet. I wish I could take photos of the quality of some I see on here. If I can get a good one of my small collection, I'll post a shot of them all once the others get back from Albany. Thanks, Mike, is it? Your advice was very helpful in making this deal.

#17 ·
Well, the deal is done, and it should be pulled from Ebay soon. I'll put up some photos of it with a different strap once it arrives.
Excellent! :w00t: Congrats and I'm looking forward to your pictures.

I hope I can stop buying Speedmasters now.
:laugh: :lol: :laugh: :lol: :laugh: :lol: We offer no 12 step program here. :T

#19 ·
Tomorrow....

the 2998 should be here. I was intrigued by another that was listed on ebay for a couple of days in England. It was BIN for 10.5, but it had all the papers, box, and correct bracelet. The overseas shipping and customs on items of that value spook me a little...and the insurance and shipping alone would have added enough to buy a nice Seiko. Anyway, I'll put up photos soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.