WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some of the rarest and most expensive watches out there these days?

I've seen some going for literally hundreds of thousands of dollars, why so high? From what I understand watches go up in value due to the complicity of them and the material they are made of. Can watches really be THAT complicated?

I'd just like to know what are some of the rarest and most saught after watches out there, regardless of price. Can any be had for a reasonable price in todays economy? (Say... a few hundred dolllars?)

·
Registered
466 Posts
What are some of the rarest and most expensive watches out there these days?

I've seen some going for literally hundreds of thousands of dollars, why so high? From what I understand watches go up in value due to the complicity of them and the material they are made of. Can watches really be THAT complicated?

I'd just like to know what are some of the rarest and most saught after watches out there, regardless of price. Can any be had for a reasonable price in todays economy? (Say... a few hundred dolllars?)
The short answer is going to be mostly no, and it depends...

Let's take a look at anything that's deemed rare - those won't be had for "in the hundreds". Likely not "in the thousands" either. Now, this entirely depends on if the definition of rare includes "desirable". Look at Swatch. Loads of "limited edition" models to choose from. trouble is, desirability is low, so even the low production numbers don't boost values. Rolex, Omega, Panerai, etc. all easily exceed the value limited suggested in yoru post, and finding even an older model in need of repair and cleaning is easily into the thousands of dollars.

An area of exception to this little bit of babbling is boutique watch manufacturers. Stolas, LumTec, RedSea and others make fantastic wacthes, no one has really heard of the brands yet in the mainstream sense, all can be had for relatively low cost (hundreds of dollars) and some are actual limited editions worth of cherishing for years to come. Don't, however, make the mistake of thinking the values will increase like real estate - that won't happen.

...now, this is all subject to scrutiny by others. Others with greater experience.

Bottom line, thoguh, is if you're asking about the most desirable, rarest of watches, the outright answer is no - even found in pieces they would fetch far more than hundreds of dollars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the reason I ask is not to buy one (lol) but just to see whats out there.

I just see some of these watches that go for hundreds of thousands and just think ****.... There are people out there starving, begging for $6 an hour jobs, only to have people that are spending that kind of money on watches, its kind of mind boggling.

The world of watches is very new to me so I am just having a difficult time accepting that their are watches out there of this magnitude.

·
Registered
598 Posts
cars, watches, boats, shoes, handbags, houses, what have you...so it ever was, so it ever shall be. I'm sure there's someone out there who finds you spending $50 on a watch - or however much you think it reasonable to spend - a lavish excess.

·
Registered
766 Posts
The truth of the matter is that anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. This hobby of ours is one that really can't justify the prices many of us pay for something that basically tells us the time. We spend what we can afford to on the items that give us pleasure and we hopefully get many years enjoyment from the purchases. Very few watches can be seen as investment pieces. Indeed I would go so far as to say the majority of high value pieces have become so by accident (or good fortune) cases in point are certain Rolex models that have different colour writing on the dial, the Omega watches used on the moon landings etc., etc.
I try to buy watches that I can afford and treat them carefully and who knows one day they might be valuable. The main reason I make the purchases though are that the piece appeals to me both aesthetically and from an engineering point of view:thumbup1:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts