WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts

18K GOLD 218 SPACEVIEW
Accutron Spaceview
Ultra Scarce Accutron 218 Spaceview, in 18K Solid Gold. The magnificent 1968 (M8) model! The 218 Spaceviews were produced in limited quantities and are very difficult to find these days. Solid 18K gold Swiss case with Swis Octagonal back, gold/luminous hands, "GILT MOVEMENT." It's important to note that this is an extremely rare case generally, and especially in 18K Sold Gold. In my opinion, it is without a doubt, one of the most elegant design Bulova produced in the 1960s​
SOURCE FOR DESCRIPTION AND TEXT: All 'props' to Old Father Time
This would definitely qualify for "grail" status with me! :001_rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Alton!, good choice ! We had an interesting thread about those a while back from which I learned a lot and got so inspired I bought two of the 14k ones. I don't think I've ever seen an 18k one.

I suppose I should say that, if $ were no object, I'd like to have a platinum Accutron, they are the rarest of the rare. A well known Accutron technician sold one earlier this year and assured me that the buyer would resell it for $25,000. Not to me !
However, what I'd really like to have is Model C Astronaut with the original bracelet. I don't think I've ever seen one of those either although a seller in Florida from whom I bought a watch told me that he sold one a few years ago.

It will be fun to see what Accutrons others would like to have. Good idea for a thread.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I think the watch left on the moon was actually an Omega. That was a very heated subject here a long time ago and I think we lost a very good and knowledgeable member over it.

I've been thinking about it and I also wouldn't mind having the one PFRAGO just bought, that thing is gorgeous.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think the watch left on the moon was actually an Omega. That was a very heated subject here a long time ago and I think we lost a very good and knowledgeable member over it.

I've been thinking about it and I also wouldn't mind having the one PFRAGO just bought, that thing is gorgeous.
Lost a member, really?? Gees people can get precious....

And yeah, with my very limited knowledge and not even knowing Accutrons came in platinum, it is hard to imagine a better looking watch than PFRAGOs newbie. It is just stunning.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Wow, my list has several on it but, unless my rich Uncle passes on, I will probably never own any of them. Actually, I did have a rich Uncle and he did pass on but he didn't leave me anything! :lol:

I think I would like a Deep Sea in NOS condition.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine would be a solid 14k gold Astronaut. There is one on eBay, but I can't convince the wife that I need another watch that cost that much money! Guess i will keep sweet talking her till she gives in!! Lol
It really is confronting when un-watch people you have been 'discussing' watches with trying to involve them (let alone the significant other...... :scared:) look at you, pause, and ask you the inevitable "So how many watches do you actually own?" and you blink and think, do a mental count and make yourself stop when it gets into the high twenty territory because you really do realise you may have some sort of problem.

And then later it is onto flea bay with the determination of a dog with a new bone because all you want to do is buy another watch. Sometimes, virtually ANY watch that looks nice. And you start looking into brands that you've never heard of...... But you can't find one worth buying that you can afford :blush:

None of mine are particularly valuable, none of my Accutrons work (apart from the new 218 - which I look at now on my wrist and just sigh over...) but I love them all. Well apart from that ridiculous Croton......what was I thinking??? :001_smile:

·
Registered
65 Posts
My wife collects ladies vintage Accutrons and Bulova but buys completely on looks. She dosent really buy on rareity or gold content and only buys bulovas, to were I want to buy everything that
Looks interesting!! She tells me every time I leave to go to a flea market or auction, "You better come home with Bulova products only" So, if it is not a bulova I buy it has to sell :(. (Except for my
Gold and silver pocket watches!

·
Banned
43 Posts
The timing device left on the moon was an Accutron 214 movement. They didn't leave a watch up there.

My MUST HAVE would be Gordon Cooper's 214 Astronaut that he wore into space! I'd take that over any platinum or gold model!

·
Banned
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My wife collects ladies vintage Accutrons and Bulova but buys completely on looks. She dosent really buy on rareity or gold content and only buys bulovas, to were I want to buy everything that
Looks interesting!! She tells me every time I leave to go to a flea market or auction, "You better come home with Bulova products only" So, if it is not a bulova I buy it has to sell :(. (Except for my
Gold and silver pocket watches!
I really want a pocket watch. Some of them are just stunning. There is a seller 'Decowatches' on fleabay who I've bought stuff off and he has some of the most beautiful pocket watches I've even seen. My issue with them is they will spend 99% of their lives hidden in your pocket.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I never really carry my pocketwatches because they are inconvenient . They are great conversation pieces but I rarely use them as my daily watch. But I have come so attached to my spaceviews I cannot force my self to wear a watch with a dial! Lol
I really want a pocket watch. Some of them are just stunning. There is a seller 'Decowatches' on fleabay who I've bought stuff off and he has some of the most beautiful pocket watches I've even seen. My issue with them is they will spend 99% of their lives hidden in your pocket.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I never really carry my pocketwatches because they are inconvenient . They are great conversation pieces but I rarely use them as my daily watch. But I have come so attached to my spaceviews I cannot force my self to wear a watch with a dial! Lol
I purchased 2 vests and a few watch chains so I can wear my pocket watches. I have 2 Accutron pocket watches plus about a dozen much older. Just for fun, I recently purchased an inexpensive Chinese auto wind pocket watch! You have to do cart wheels to keep it wound and I'm getting too old for those.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I purchased 2 vests and a few watch chains so I can wear my pocket watches. I have 2 Accutron pocket watches plus about a dozen much older. Just for fun, I recently purchased an inexpensive Chinese auto wind pocket watch! You have to do cart wheels to keep it wound and I'm getting too old for those.
I really want a Accutron pocket watch! I'm just waiting on the right one.
I currently own a 14k Illinois, silver Louis Brandt key wind, and a Waltham openface.
I am going to get me one of those Accutron pocket watches before long!

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I really want a Accutron pocket watch! I'm just waiting on the right one.
I currently own a 14k Illinois, silver Louis Brandt key wind, and a Waltham openface.
I am going to get me one of those Accutron pocket watches before long!
They show up on The Bay periodically. That's where I got my two. One is a Hunters case and the other is open faced. One is a Day/Date and the other Date. Pocket watches usually are in better condition than the average wristwatch.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.