WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a Mayfair automatic.... It's a pin lever escapement EB 1375 automatic movement. It runs nice and is of one of the highest quality pin lever movements I have ever seen. The only way I could tell it was a pin lever was by...well...the pin lever :lol: but it's nice. Pics in a minute.

·
Super Moderator
15,640 Posts
Nice watch- the words "simple elegance" come to mind.
It's also nice to see you experimenting with your photography skills...keep it up!!!

·
Registered
771 Posts
stratct--is that short for stratocaster in connecticut? cool watch--good to see you made it to the atm. i love the swiss made "aluminium" which must regular aluminum with something extra (like an "i"). maybe the extra "i" means it is ionized? i wonder if this watch is the precursor to the aluminum clock (see link). The $25 you spent was a good investment especially given the incorrect spelling of aluminum. i wonder if inga or sven had a little too much swiss wine the night before the watch was made.

'Quantum Logic Clock' Based on Aluminum Ion is Now World's Most Precise Clock (w/ Video)

·
Registered
771 Posts
when is the rest of the world going to get it right? the american way is the only way! :tongue_smilie:
well i had to go back to my college chemistry books and the iupac (the international union of pure and applied chemistry) spelling has the "i" so we know that watch has iupac approved aluminium. i still think inga and sven had too much to drink the night before but that is another story.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Most of the rest of the world pronounce it al-OOH-min-ee-um, only Americans leave out the second i
At least we had the decency to change the spelling to reflect our pronunciation of that one, usually we just say it how we want, regardless of how it's spelled. Take our pronunciation of Jaguar as Jagwarr, as opposed to Jag-U-ar as the Brits would say!
Don't even get me started on French words... I live in De-Troy-t for gods sakes. :lol:

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
pratt said:
stratct--is that short for stratocaster in connecticut? cool watch--good to see you made it to the atm. i love the swiss made "aluminium" which must regular aluminum with something extra (like an "i"). maybe the extra "i" means it is ionized? i wonder if this watch is the precursor to the aluminum clock (see link). The $25 you spent was a good investment especially given the incorrect spelling of aluminum. i wonder if inga or sven had a little too much swiss wine the night before the watch was made.

'Quantum Logic Clock' Based on Aluminum Ion is Now World's Most Precise Clock (w/ Video)
Thanks everyone, and yeah I love strays and live in CT :D

·
Registered
771 Posts
as for pronunciation, new england has to be close to the top of the list for butchering words. "er" is pronounced "ah" (lobster = lobstah) and "a/ah" is pronounced "er" (idea = ideer) and pecan is pronounced like a coffee can one would use if the toilet does not work (pee can).

here is a cool link about the spelling of aluminum/aluminium.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/aluminium.htm

back to the watch. only 1 jewel? where would that jewel be?

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
pratt said:
as for pronunciation, new england has to be close to the top of the list for butchering words. "er" is pronounced "ah" (lobster = lobstah) and "a/ah" is pronounced "er" (idea = ideer) and pecan is pronounced like a coffee can one would use if the toilet does not work (pee can).

here is a cool link about the spelling of aluminum/aluminium.

http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/aluminium.htm

back to the watch. only 1 jewel? where would that jewel be?
I counted two. But one would most likely be the impulse jewel. Oh yeah. And new England is is a pretty odd place lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts