WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

Found something VERY interesting yesterday, an advert for the Illinois Watch Case Company from February 6, 1918.

Study this picture VERY HARD and try to find the small detail that is incredibly strange ! ! !

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, 12s is what I found strange as well.

Wonder if it was a type-o or if they actually made any of these, I've never seen a 12s wrist watch case from Illinois.

But, I do know for a fact that the Crown Watch Company owned by Keystone/Philadelphia made their own movements and a GIANT size 12s trench watch case circa 1917.

It was a nice one with a RED 12 and a 14k GF case.

It measured 44mm across w/o the crown.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
Since some here might not realize, this is not the Illinois Watch Company from Springfield. This is the Illinois Watch Case Company from Elgin. (Notice how the name Illinois is not on the dial since any number of movements and dials could have been used inside the cases assembled and sold by jobbers.) Them making an early 12-sized wrist watch case does not surprise me. I'd imagine these were used to convert small mens (formal dress pocketwatches, not RR watches) and maybe even larger ladies pendent and pocket-movements? I don't collect them, but I think I have seen (and ignored) them.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Greg,

I can show some when I get home this evening, in PW form, although I don't have anything smaller than 12 size on hand to which I can show a comparison.

A 12 size movement on the wrist would be about the size of today's comically large wrist watches.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.