WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys and gals, here's my question:

I really, really, really want a mechanical watch. (Auto or hand wind). What I really want is an IWC, but like that vintage Italian sports car I dream of owning...
I have owned one high-priced automatic watch, an Omega Speedmaster Automatic that I bought in 1992. I paid around two thousand for the watch, and it was such a huge piece of crap that I sold it in 1996 for six hundred, just glad to get rid of the **** thing! It never kept decent time (gaining of losing up to 8 minutes a day, the pushers for the chronograph functions fell off on a regular basis, and every time I would push the chrono, the watch would jump ahead two minutes. It went back to Lancaster 2 times, went to a local watchmaker 4 times, and even went back to Switzerland, where they supposedly put in a whole new movement. Two days after I got it back, the pusher fell off at the kitchen table! So, if any f you are thinking of recommending an Omega, please don't! I would hate to have to call you all sorts of bad names, but I would! I wouldn't buy the finest Omega, made of solid gold, and encrusted with diamonds for five dollars.
I have a realistic budget of around a thousand dollars. Here are the three watches I'm interested in:
Khaki Field Mechanical Model # H9619533 hand wound, no date, second hand in subdial at 9:00 pos.
Khaki Pilot 46mm Model # H64715885 Automatic
Khaki Officer Model # H70655733 Automatic, date, black face,yellow numbers, seconds in
subdial at 6:00

If anyone has any useful info on any of these three watches, please let me know. I want a watch that is first of, reliable. Second of all, reliable. Finally, I want a watch that is reliable.

Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Armorer,

welcome to the forum.

Any of the Hamiltons you have mentioned will keep accurate time and be as reliable as you require.

I'm sorry that you got such a bad Omega but from what I understand they had some serious issues with the movement that was going into their watches at that time.

If I was to suggest a watch for you then it would be one of the Jazzmasters rather than the Khaki. If you're looking for casual and semi formal styles of wear then the Jazzy would suit you to a T. if you're looking for the sporty/field style then the Khaki will rock your boat.

You'll definately pay less that 1k for any of these. Hamilton also do quartz watches as well.

Many of us have a Jazzmaster of some sort or another and we all love them to death.

keep us informed of how you go.

cheers,

Sean

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sean!

I admit to really liking the Jazzmasters, also, but right now I'm sort of leaning toward one of "vintage look" Khakis, probably not the pilot. I want a watch that looks clean and has that vintage look. I would buy a vintage watch in a skinny minute, but since most of them run under 39mm in size, they end up looking like I borrowed my wife's watch! I'm a fairly big guy, and I've found that 40-44mm look better than the small ones. (I'm also getting too dang old, and like the bigger faces, but that's a whole 'nother story!) Thanks a lot for the feedback!

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
hahahaha,

I know where you're coming from there,

most of the people here reckon I strap my watch to my ankle.

sigh.....

but I love the vintage Hammy's most of all.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
The Khaki line captures the vintage military look quite well. Recently, they have introduced some vintage inspired lines in the Jazzmaster series, like the Thin-o-matic. You could get the vintage look in either line. Then there is also the Harrison Ford Team Earth model that seems to capture a vintage vibe. Since you have large wrists, I'd also suggest the Tonneau or Square Jazzmasters. They are a good size but take their shape from years past.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well.......ya know...

Yeah, since Sean suggested them, I went back and looked at the Jazzmasters again. I like the viewmatic 44 (I think that's the name) a lot, but have really fallen in love with the chronos. There's one, a Maestro, with a silver dial and rose gold numbers that's the spittin' image of an IWC Portoguese, at less than one-third the price. $1800.00 is **** near double the budget I set for myself, but......................

:confused1:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hamilton khaki feedback

Dear watch collector,
My collection contains the following:
TAG Heuer Link quartz
TAG Heuer Aquaracer Automatic Chronograph (my best piece)
Oris BC3 Advanced Sportsman
TAG Heuer Monaco automatic
Hamilton King Pilot 46mm automatic
***waiting for my Hamilton Khaki Mechanical 44mm handwound, purchased pre-owned on eBay

As you can see, I am a fan of Hamilton.

The King Pilot 46mm cost me a mere $850 plus taxes, brand new, from a top official retailer. It is spectacular, really fantastic. It uses an ETA movement, which is what Bell & Ross, Baume & Mercier, Longines, TAG Heuer, etc. all use but, it cost under $1,000!
It is HUGE and impressive on the wrist, definitely the most watch you can buy for less than $1,000.
Does it keep good time? Yes! It has been gaining barely 2 seconds per day. I will admit that the power reserve is not good- but if you manually wind it after wearing it for a day, it will run for over 36 hours.
My verdict? BUY! BUY the Hamilton King Pilot 46mm. It is the best value you will ever find. And beautiful.

Now, why did I buy a Khaki Mechanical 44mm pre-owned on eBay? I really wanted a manually wound piece. I love the military pilot style and the thick strap. 44mm is a good size. And once again, the price was great. I just hope that it arrives soon and that everything is OK......

Hamilton? Great value!

I really, really, really want a mechanical watch. (Auto or hand wind). What I really want is an IWC, but like that vintage Italian sports car I dream of owning...
I have owned one high-priced automatic watch, an Omega Speedmaster Automatic that I bought in 1992. I paid around two thousand for the watch, and it was such a huge piece of crap that I sold it in 1996 for six hundred, just glad to get rid of the **** thing! It never kept decent time (gaining of losing up to 8 minutes a day, the pushers for the chronograph functions fell off on a regular basis, and every time I would push the chrono, the watch would jump ahead two minutes. It went back to Lancaster 2 times, went to a local watchmaker 4 times, and even went back to Switzerland, where they supposedly put in a whole new movement. Two days after I got it back, the pusher fell off at the kitchen table! So, if any f you are thinking of recommending an Omega, please don't! I would hate to have to call you all sorts of bad names, but I would! I wouldn't buy the finest Omega, made of solid gold, and encrusted with diamonds for five dollars.
I have a realistic budget of around a thousand dollars. Here are the three watches I'm interested in:
Khaki Field Mechanical Model # H9619533 hand wound, no date, second hand in subdial at 9:00 pos.
Khaki Officer Model # H70655733 Automatic, date, black face,yellow numbers, seconds in

If anyone has any useful info on any of these three watches, please let me know. I want a watch that is first of, reliable. Second of all, reliable. Finally, I want a watch that is reliable.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have the Khaki King Pilot 46mm as well and it keeps great time and gets the most compliments out of all the watches I own. I also think the brown strap it comes with is one of the nicest and thickest straps I have had. Very impressive for the price.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Just received my pre-owned Hamilton Khaki Mechanical 44mm from eBay purchase.
Very nice.
It originally had burgundy leather strap, but the owner had switched it to a Hirsch black carbon strap. I took it to an official Hamilton retailer and bought a black pilot strap with rivets....great!
This is a nice addition to my collection.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Glycine

Thanks all!
I owned a GMT air race for a bit, great time keeper and big on the wrist,
for personal reasons I have sold it, it was a toss between the Hamilton or
my Glycine chrono combat 07, I decided the Glycine was easier on the eye,
price wise I picked it up for under $1000, last year, I would recommend it
as a contender, apology to Hamilton fans of which I am also,

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
If you like the vintage look, check out the Jazzmaster Cushion auto. I have one on the way and am anxiously awaiting its arrival.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts