WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I am looking to purchase a new SMP, and have been reading about problems with the 2500, so my question is to buy one now, or wait till it gets the 8500 movement. I have asked my AD, and their watch buyer has said that it is likely to be nearly two years or more till the SMP with 8500 movement is on the shelves (in Australia).

Can people pls give me their opinoins on 1) how good/bad the 2500 is and 2) what the 8500 really that far off in the SMP, or is that just sales talk from my AD and 3) should I wait?

thanks, advise is greatly appreciated.

And

·
Registered
304 Posts
If you like the current smp I would get it now. The c8500 will take some time to get into the smp case and will require a redesign. Plus probably a 2k+ premium. My cal 2500 po keeps time at +/- 1 second a day it's been a near perfect watch for me going on 5 years old now.

From what I have read, the 2500 issues are lubrication qc issues, not related to the movement itself. Most all the reports I've seen where a problem surfaced the watch came back from service running fine without future problems. The warranty is 3 years so it's covered at least till it's first recommended service.

·
Banned
28,291 Posts
Mike - I have a theory about why there are still sudden stoppages with any of the 2500 incarnations: overbanking. It has to do with the layout of the banking pins, the tail end of the lever, and the higher speed the escapement is asked to run at when it was designed for slower bph movements.

To the OP: if you're looking at an SMP try the versions with the 1120 movements. They're proven performers. Until the 8500 proves itself with a good track record over a few years the jury should be out on it. Looks good so far though.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Mike - I have a theory about why there are still sudden stoppages with any of the 2500 incarnations: overbanking. It has to do with the layout of the banking pins, the tail end of the lever, and the higher speed the escapement is asked to run at when it was designed for slower bph movements.

Possible there is an inherent issue but reality is that most of the stoppage reports are on newer pos. First and second year runs did not exhibit any issues that were not already present with the eta2892 or the 1120, specifically the "sluggish start" I know that the po is a great seller compare to the at but there a lot of 2500 ats yet I don't recall any or very few reports of the stoppage behavior. And, don't know how long you've been hanging around the forum but georges z has been complaining about the stoppage issue with the 1120 long before the 2500 was introduced. The base 2892 has been around for a long time and a flaw in the movement surely would have been corrected by now which brings me back to qc issues with the modification process. I doubt we will ever know the answer but I would not hesitate to recommend the 2500. It's a very good movement.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Possible there is an inherent issue but reality is that most of the stoppage reports are on newer pos. First and second year runs did not exhibit any issues that were not already present with the eta2892 or the 1120, specifically the "sluggish start" I know that the po is a great seller compare to the at but there a lot of 2500 ats yet I don't recall any or very few reports of the stoppage behavior. And, don't know how long you've been hanging around the forum but georges z has been complaining about the stoppage issue with the 1120 long before the 2500 was introduced. The base 2892 has been around for a long time and a flaw in the movement surely would have been corrected by now which brings me back to qc issues with the modification process. I doubt we will ever know the answer but I would not hesitate to recommend the 2500. It's a very good movement.
so-being that my long quest for the PO is culminating tomorrow morning via fdX with an '07 PO45-what, based on the number of complaints (which i'm well aware of and not terribly disturbed about) what would you guess my chances are of having this lube problem? I think its just out of warranty and was told its been running (i believ the watch fanatic who sold it to me as he's way more obsessive than I about accuracy) at a steady +2 for over two yrs.Is this problem just one of those 'luck-of-the-draw' things or has it been linked with certain #s or production runs? thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for thoughts

Hey,

Thanks to you all for your opinions. I have decided to go with the current SMP. I have spoken to the AD about them, and whilst they (obviously) told me that don't have trouble with them, they did point out that it would be dealt with under warranty if it were faulty, and so I am happy enough with that. I should have it on my wrist by early next week, and will 'retire' my now 12 y.o. Longines Quartz watch off to my wife!

thanks again,

And

·
Registered
304 Posts
so-being that my long quest for the PO is culminating tomorrow morning via fdX with an '07 PO45-what, based on the number of complaints (which i'm well aware of and not terribly disturbed about) what would you guess my chances are of having this lube problem? I think its just out of warranty and was told its been running (i believ the watch fanatic who sold it to me as he's way more obsessive than I about accuracy) at a steady +2 for over two yrs.Is this problem just one of those 'luck-of-the-draw' things or has it been linked with certain #s or production runs? thanks
Luck of the draw it seems but seemingly was more prevalent within the last couple years. I think you should have no problems if it's running that consistent 2+ years. I'd say that based on some of the satisfaction surveys that you have a less than 10% chance of having any kind of problem. Fwiw I've noted a decline in the number of reports over the past several months. I've had mine for nearly 5 years no problems except sometime the sluggish start which has been reported with the 1120 and 2892. No worries there. Give the case a light tap if needed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Luck of the draw it seems but seemingly was more prevalent within the last couple years. I think you should have no problems if it's running that consistent 2+ years. I'd say that based on some of the satisfaction surveys that you have a less than 10% chance of having any kind of problem. Fwiw I've noted a decline in the number of reports over the past several months. I've had mine for nearly 5 years no problems except sometime the sluggish start which has been reported with the 1120 and 2892. No worries there. Give the case a light tap if needed.
So far: PO45 on for 19hrs and its running at +/-0 up against the US Naval clock. So I'm happy. The previous owner just told me the +2 secs was per week! The serial is 8171xxxx which i'm guessing is early 07-? Not sure really. After the long wait i will consider myself pretty fortunate to have landed one of the POs you often read of that are spectacularly accurate w no problems at all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.