WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2 months ago i almost bought the gmt bond 2535.80 but after a month of deliberation i decided to go for the bond 2220.80 which was cheaper but it's as cool as the gmt since they both have the co-axial escapements. unfortunately, here in saudi arabia there were no bond 2220.80 available, so i decided that i will be purchasing it in the philippines on my december vacation.
2 days ago, i passed by an AD and the dealer was kind enough to let me try their smp chrono 2225.80 (me being asian, i always thought that this was to big for my puny wrist). the minute i put it on, it just occurred to me that this is definitely the one and i end up buying it.
today, i realized that this smp chrono 2225.80 that i acquired does not have the coaxial escapement. i was a little disappointed since this is my first omega but then i loved the killer looks of this thing especially the sub dials plus the fair price the AD gave me.

did i make a wrong decision on this one for choosing the smp without the coaxial movement?:confused1:

·
Banned
28,405 Posts
did i make a wrong decision on this one for choosing the smp without the coaxial movement?:confused1:
I don't think so. The chrono you bought has the caliber 1164 inside - a reworked Valjoux 7750. That's a real workhorse. Many members have watches with various incarnations of that base movement and have no issues at all. They're very rugged and reliable.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Rest assured, you did the right thing. I myself should have held out until I could have pulled the trigger on one (black face was not available then) and instead bought the SMP 2255.80

I'm now finding myself in the position of trying to sell this to get the black face version to yours. Enjoy it and don't think twice as to if you made the right decision and as ulack says, the movement is a workhorse. Even my watchmaker is encouraging me to go for this model, if it means having to sell my SMP.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Rest assured, you did the right thing. I myself should have held out until I could have pulled the trigger on one (black face was not available then) and instead bought the SMP 2255.80

I'm now finding myself in the position of trying to sell this to get the black face version to yours. Enjoy it and don't think twice as to if you made the right decision and as ulack says, the movement is a workhorse. Even my watchmaker is encouraging me to go for this model, if it means having to sell my SMP.
Or swap the dial, bezel, and chapter ring. Right?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
You had made an excellent choice IMO.. :thumbup:

I have the black dial smp chrono diver and I love it so much.. looks super cool too..:biggrin:

congratssss
Pete J

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think so. The chrono you bought has the caliber 1164 inside - a reworked Valjoux 7750. That's a real workhorse. Many members have watches with various incarnations of that base movement and have no issues at all. They're very rugged and reliable.
thanks for the reply ulack.

i did some reading on the valjoux 7750 that you mentioned and it turns out a lot of good watches do have this movement. although this watch is not exactly a valjoux 7750 but i'm sure the omega modification was aimed to make a good movement even better. :001_smile:

now, i'm itching to go scuba diving with it (if i could find time to travel 400km to the nearest shore). i'll try to post some underwater pics of this smp after my dive.

·
Banned
33 Posts
You had made an excellent choice IMO.. :thumbup:

I have the black dial smp chrono diver and I love it so much.. looks super cool too..:biggrin:

congratssss
Pete J
Great looking watch. I hope to add one to my collection in the near future.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts