WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, maybe not right now, but if Invicta came out with a 38-39 mm watch, would you be interested?

I just bought a 38mm watch, a Hamilton, and I simply cannot get it off my wrist. . . I love it and it looks just about right, size-wise. It is the smallest watch I have purchased and worn in about 7 years.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Negative. Remember the clocks that Flav-a-Flav used to wear around his neck in Public Enemy? That's probably just a little too big for me to wear on my wrist but anything a hair smaller would be okay. Maybe if they made bicept watches....hmmmmm. :001_tongue:

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
It wouldn't stop me from buying any watch.

My Hamilton Khaki is 38mm, according to Hamilton, and it works and looks just fine.

I'm not sure I'd go much smaller than that, but I'm not really influenced by size, except to say that some watches that are quite popular these days are larger than I care to wear based on the comfort factor.

I like a watch that I can see without my glasses, but I've given in to the prebyopia issue and usually wear progressives which allow me to see the smallest details of my watch.

I prefer a smaller watch for dress wear.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
If it had a vintage look I might buy it. I would want a leather strap. A metal bracelet with a small case would look too small on my wrist. That's why I don't care or my Tag Heuer F1 anymore.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Depends. I prefer the larger dial size, but if it is a dress watch with an open face, a 38mm dresser can actually have a larger dial than a 40mm sub. Jacques Lemans has a few that I'd love to own.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Depends. I prefer the larger dial size, but if it is a dress watch with an open face, a 38mm dresser can actually have a larger dial than a 40mm sub. Jacques Lemans has a few that I'd love to own.
Dave,
I understand what you are saying but for me a 40mm watch would look absolutely ridiculous on me. I am 6'3" and weigh 230 lbs so the smaller watches just don't work for me. The smallest I can and have gone is 43mm.

·
Banned
5,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rusty, quick slap on the OG III.:lol::lol:
:lol::lol: I don't have it anymore, Auto. I sold it to nickd. But I still have several 47-48 mm Invictas plus a RD GMT. I am not adopting the boscoe approach although I am with Grady on the Hamilton 38 mm. It looks just right.

I fear that in a few years we are all going to wake up and realize we are stuck with the equivalent of leisure suits and Nehru jackets in our watch boxes. It can't keep going up, up and up.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I'm in SF tonight wearing a 32mm 1928 Bulova with beautifully curved lugs, carved case, domed crystal and sterling silver dial....I bought it DOA...brought it back to life!

How can you not celebrate the creation of all watches!

I guess that answers your question Rusty.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I love that OG III Rusty! It received 2-3 compliments today. But, as for watches in the 38-40mm range, too small. I received the Sea Shark today and it feels small at a reported 42mm, although proper sizing will help that out. I have a 2824 Gruen and a dressy Seiko for such occasions that require them, but on a normal basis, 45mm-48mm for me please! And echo, I'm loving that vintage Invicta, how big is it, isn't the quartz version smaller?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts