WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This watch caught my eye a week ago and I decided to bid on it. Won it this morning. Coming from Malta so it may take a while. Never heard of this combination - "Sisley" and "Handcrafted By Bulova ". Apparently, Sisley is now owned by the guy who produces Invicta watches but it started as a Swiss watch company, if memory serves, and offered this series in different dial colors. Don't have a date on it but it isn't new and could date as far back as the '80s. It supposedly has a Swiss quartz mvt. and is considered by some to be a military (style) watch. Not an Accutron, I know, but it is unusual and there does not seem to be any information out there on this particular series and it's connection to Bulova. I wonder if Sisley commissioned Bulova to produce this series? The only other one I could find reference to was on a different forum a couple years ago and being sold by its owner to reduce his collection size. I find it an interesting and attractive watch. Tell me what you think.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have never seen, or heard of, anything like it. It will be real interesting to get the back off and see what is inside.
Same way for me. You bet, can't wait to see inside. Did a lot or research to try to determine if it was a Franken but don't think it is. Did a leap of faith for $66 and it is supposed to be NOS condition.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Thanks. My guess is about that age.

I always go with the font. That's about an '89 font I reckon. I'm thinking late months '89. It almost smells of a 90s watch.....

I like it. I'm trying to find some huge 70s thing (I don't care what movement) to get for about $100. There are quite a few if you look. I HATE bling. But don't mind genuine 70s chunk.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ahhhhhhh - I just noticed the bloke in the canoe! Nice touch.... I have a soft spot for Sea King Bullys with whales on the dial. (I have 3 or 4....)
Yeah, that is a neat touch. I think it was you who influenced me to get a Whale! I have a tracking number now but it will probably be a while getting here from Malay. Whatever it turns out to be, it should at least be an interesting piece.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The watch has made it to the U.S. from Malta! It's now in N.Y. Hope it arrives tomorrow but probably not until next week. Can't wait to see what this looks like and what's inside.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well, the Sisley, "Hand Crafted by Bulova", arrived today. It truly is in NOS condition with beautiful case, dial, hands and original unused band. The dial is smooth black with gold printing, gold hour/minute hands with lume inserts, blue second hand in subset above the number 6 and a long thin blue date hand. The pic on eBay wasn't very clear but in my pic you can see the date numbers 1-31 on the outside dial edge with the numbers 1-12 inside the date numbers. One click out of the stem is for setting the date hand and two clicks out stops the mvt. and allows hands to be set. Haven't attempted case back removal to check out the mvt. On the front of the short band is an embossed logo of the guy in canoe. On the back side of the same piece is embossed "SISLEY" & "WORLDWIDE PERFORMANCE". The back of the long band portion embossed "handcrafted by Bulova". The buckle is embossed with "SISLEY". Sorry about the poor quality pic below.

Apparently this brand has been known for their clothing lines and had watches made under their brand name as clothing accessories. It's interesting that Bulova insisted on having their ID on both the band and case back. I really don't know the age as there isn't a date code on the case back. My guess is 10 or more years old. Don't know that it can really be called a Bulova but it is interesting and eye catching!

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Interesting and good looking watch. I especially like the blue hands. I'll be looking forward to more pix including the back and the movement.
Here is part of your request. Could be a date code in that number, I don't really know. The watch was listed as "Vintage" with an "RRP" of $225. I have asked the seller for any more info he/she has. The back has the look of a screw-off but may actually be a snap-on. Haven't yet investigated closely with my loop. The dial is marked "SWISS". I can envision a little old Swiss watchmaker bent over his work table machining, hammering, polishing and assembling this "Handcrafted by Bulova" watch. :lol:

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
The seller responded to my question about age: "New old stock from the early '80s" - so it is about 30 yrs old. Wow!

If I post it on mybulova.com they would probably throw me off the forum! LOL

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.