WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were expecting to have delivery of the NH35J movements from Sii this month but they informed us it will now be late September delivery for these movements. That puts our schedule a bit behind on the models with these movements. M52,M53,M54+ 300M series. most components are already done but our hands are pretty much tied until we get these movements. Sorry for the news. I wish they would have mentioned this earlier to us. We ordered these movements back last November. M52 should have been ready by now for delivery. 300M series and M bronze series are still on track for late October so the movement delay will have no effect on those ones. Just the M52 really.

·
Premium Member
2,708 Posts
Better late than never! I wonder if Swatch/Swiss ETA is beginning to realize how much business they've handed over to the Japanese yet? Morons..

·
Premium Member
2,261 Posts
I'm a little surprised that there haven't been any prototype pix of the M53/M54 bronze cases, by now, considering they're on track for shipment and delivery in only two months.

I get it that the dials, movements (yadda, yadda) may not be available for some time, but it'd be WAY COOL to see a few snaps... Even if the images are only of the bronze cases, themselves. :thumbup1:

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm a little surprised that there haven't been any prototype pix of the M53/M54 bronze cases, by now, considering they're on track for shipment and delivery in only two months.

I get it that the dials, movements (yadda, yadda) may not be available for some time, but it'd be WAY COOL to see a few snaps... Even if the images are only of the bronze cases, themselves. :thumbup1:
I agree with you Ladd, I was trying to convey that message too, but I feel like I'm starting to sound like a broken record. I figured I would make a broad statement, and then I see a sweet pic of the M52 progress, but no bronzos! The tungsten does look really good though! The M52 pre-orders out there must feel justified in their patience!

·
Premium Member
3,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As soon as we HAVE a bronze case to take pics of we will take some. Of course :) we spent a good deal of time sorting out the actual material so did not want to waste any time making prototypes of a case we have been making for 3 years. Its not a different case, just different material. We will get pics of those as soon as we can!!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Argggggggghhhhhhhhhh! The wait for my 300M-1 is killing me! Any delay is like bamboo shoved under my finger nails! Would it help if I went to Japan and looked at them menacingly?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Lol. No kidding right? I have NEVER seen a 12+ month lead time for Japanese automatics. It was normally 2-3 months only.
What? You mean people are willing to wait for a whole year to buy a watch with a Japanese movement that actually has a cool design instead of buying a Hamilton or Tissot today because it has an ETA?

Restricting ETA movements is not going to make people flock to Swatch brands.

·
Registered
106 Posts
What? You mean people are willing to wait for a whole year to buy a watch with a Japanese movement that actually has a cool design instead of buying a Hamilton or Tissot today because it has an ETA?

Restricting ETA movements is not going to make people flock to Swatch brands.

Well, I can't speak with much authority about the business of making and selling watches... but in some businesses, that works just fine! For example... we tend to sell out the 10-20 cases of Guigal's "La La" wines that we get allocated every year in about 30 minutes, at $300-500 per bottle. It takes us weeks or months to move 100 cases of product from other houses at $15-20. If you can marry quality, methodology, and exclusivity, and prestige of a brand, you're golden.

I think the problem that any larger old-school "luxury" brand (IE Swiss watches, D&G, Gucci, etc) will face is this: while once upon a time, it might have been good enough for a brand to be expensive and limited because it was a luxury brand, and to be a luxury brand because it was expensive and limited... now buyers expect that prestige to be the result of superior quality, ingenuity, craftsmanship, and methodology. Contemporary buyers - especially younger ones - care much less about where the product was made, and much more about how the product was made. To them it's less about cultivating exclusivity, and more about finding brands that are doing amazing things. I think you're right on in this case - limiting the sale of Swiss movements won't help them in the least unless they can prove they're delivering the best products, using those movements.

It's for this reason that I think brands like Lüm-Tec have a very bright future ahead of them.

edit: er... pun intended?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Here's some very fast and VERY dirty pics. The date wheel will be black in final product. The best I could do in short notice. :)

The prototype pictures look amazing. Just like to check if the hands and markers are in the same color lume. The hands look more white than antique lume. :confused1:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Contemporary buyers - especially younger ones - care much less about where the product was made, and much more about how the product was made. To them it's less about cultivating exclusivity, and more about finding brands that are doing amazing things. I think you're right on in this case - limiting the sale of Swiss movements won't help them in the least unless they can prove they're delivering the best products, using those movements.

It's for this reason that I think brands like Lüm-Tec have a very bright future ahead of them.
This is me, engineer by schooling, quality by job description, good with money, could have gotten a Rolex or Panerai, but choose to spend my money with Lum-tec. If you put my thought process into words, it would look something like this. Well stated.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Here's some very fast and VERY dirty pics. The date wheel will be black in final product. The best I could do in short notice. :)

Will the hands be this short or are new ones being made that are the proper size?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.