WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to mechanical watches so have a couple of questions...

Just got my new M52, and I fully understand that whilst wearing it, it self winds(automatic), but, if I dont wear it for maybe just a day, do I need to wind it up manually?

And if so, how many turns should I actually be winding it, if its not been worn for a little while... Im guessing if I wear it everyday then there is no need to manually wind it?

I read somewhere on here Chris say to achieve the best accuracy, the watch needs to be fully wound... How do you know when its 'fully wound'?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
If you're wearing it every day (even if taking it off at night), then you don't need to wind it at all. In my case, if it's running when I pick it up, I usually don't wind it. It doesn't take much wrist time to wind 'em up.

When you do wind it, just give it about 15-20 winds and put it on. Your wrist will finish winding it for you. If you want to wind it further than that, it's not going to hurt the watch, but really isn't necessary unless you're testing the reserve time. A full wind is somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 winds, at which point a clutch in the mechanism will prevent any damage from over winding.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.