WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is something I wrote at another board I frequent explaining why I put things up for sale, occasionally at stupid prices:

My GF is amazingly understanding. She tolerated my collecting stereo gear, cars, motorcycles and other big things. But she put a up a caveat. My collections have to pay for themselves. So whenever I buy something over a certain amount, I have to put it up for sale for a given amount of time (depends on the amount of the piece). I agreed a while back to this. Now I am wishing I hadn't. She usually doesn't look up what I sell or what it goes for as long as I "try". My usual strategy is to price something into the stratosphere and hope that no one is dumb enough to pay it. But now with watches there doesn't seem to be a ceiling for a lot of people for certain watches. Now I am running out of ploys to keep the pieces I want.

Anyway I was writing this to see if anyone else has a similar predicament. It was easy with stereo gear. But with watches it's not so simple.

Does anyone else have a similar situation?

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
My wife has given up. When I brought home the first motorcycle she wasn't at all happy and told me to get rid of it. It took about 2 weeks to get her to go for a ride and another 2 weeks to get her to understand that she would be more comfortable on a bigger one. That was about 9 motorcycles ago.
When a Corvette appeared it took a while for her to understand that I had bought it for her.
When a boat appeared she had to come to understand that it was something the family could do together.
By the time an airplane showed up, she had pretty well given up.
Now, when just another watch shows up, she is thrilled.
She has no problem with me indulging my fantasies so long as they are not a burden and don't interfere with our life.
I suggest that you show up with a boat and an airplane and then she will settle for the watches.

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts
She has no problem with me indulging my fantasies so long as they are not a burden and don't interfere with our life.

That about covers it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have a boat already. 70' of WWII tugboat named the Ready. She loved living on her for a while, but after a while she wanted a regular place. Then it was warehouse life. She tired of that quickly too. Now we have 3 scooters and a Dnepr with a driven sidecar and a Checker Marathon too. So like I said, understanding . I would do the plane thing (I am an A&P by training although I have never worked in the field, and I've had my pilot's license since I was 18) but even I can't bring myself to spend the money on something I would use so rarely.

Here's the boat:
Tugboat Ready first trip - YouTube

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
WOW ! You have great toys ! That tugboat is about the ultimate toy but now I"m really confused mrtawny ! Considering the toys you have, how does she even find the watches? Sounds like you'd better keep her.
As to the plane, I built mine from a kit. It's an ultralight, now called light sport.

·
Banned
605 Posts
Seriously, are you guys all multi-millionaires or what? I'm not used to talking to people on a forum who own and fly aircraft...........or tugboats.

I own a car (VW Polo GTI - goes like stink). And that's about it. Which I owe some money to the GF for :lol:

And yet $$$ can still be found for Accutrons sometimes..... :laugh:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seriously, are you guys all multi-millionaires or what? I'm not used to talking to people on a forum who own and fly aircraft...........or tugboats.

I own a car (VW Polo GTI - goes like stink). And that's about it. Which I owe some money to the GF for :lol:

And yet $$$ can still be found for Accutrons sometimes..... :laugh:
We bought the tug sub $5K because of the costs to dock it. The rest is just me finding deals. I can't resist a good deal no matter what. I do tend to buy, sell and trade a lot. I only wish eBay had a trade function because I would be there even more. Multimillionaire? Hardly, I too still owe some $$$ the GF. Only it's for the boat.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Oh boy am I highjacking this thread but no wealth here, I also look for deals. The original owner of my Corvette let the keys where his babysitter could find them and she decided to take it for a small drive while the kids were asleep. Of course, she wrecked it, hit a cement culvert and didn't do much damage to the body but bent the frame. It wasn't a total loss but he believed that old tale about frames not being repairable so I bought it from him in unrepaired condition and did much of the work on it myself. Mama didn't like the color so I stripped to bare fiberglass and let her choose a color so how could she not like it then ?
I sure wouldn't take on that tug though.

·
Banned
605 Posts
We bought the tug sub $5K because of the costs to dock it. The rest is just me finding deals. I can't resist a good deal no matter what. I do tend to buy, sell and trade a lot. I only wish eBay had a trade function because I would be there even more. Multimillionaire? Hardly, I too still owe some $$$ the GF. Only it's for the boat.

I'm having a go - I have an odd sense of humour at times. :001_tt2:

One of my mates lives on a boat in Breakfast Creek here in Brisbane. It'll mean nothing to you but Brekky Creek is iconic. It floods beyond imagination once in a while (we can get 10 inches of rain in a 2 hour period here. Or well over 200 over two weeks as happened once...) and we carry on. My mate - I call him The Pirate and he helps run a pub (amongst other things...........) and has a fantastic organic garden on a street corner not far from the Brekky Creek Hotel. Possibly the worlds best pub (maybe debatable...But I wouldn't debate it with someone from Brisbane. It's old school in the main bar, trust me.)

Oh yeah - you Yanks? If anyone you know spent time here in WW2, they were probably in Brisbane and if they were, they would have had a beer here, trust me. Brisbane was CRAWLING with Yanks in WW2. There was a very famous fight here (wellll...riot over a few days..) where the locals got cranky with the bloody Yanks. A few people died!

Douggy MacArthur based himself here for a chunk of the pacific war. I drive past his old office most days. My Dad used to paddle his canoe out to the Yank subs tethered at New Farm. One of the Marines he spoke to gave him his ring!!!!!!!!! He LOVED it!. Some bastard stole it from his locker a few years later. He is still cranky about it.

I wonder where it is now?

I don't own a house - never wanted to - I'd honestly prefer to live in a caravan or a boat, as long as it was well thought out.

Home - Breakfast Creek Hotel, Breakfast Creek, QLD, 4010 :wink:

Sorry, I digress........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.