WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
Let me say that I am a big fan of the 3rd generation Dynamic you have there, I only wish it were bigger so that I could sport one! They look like they were designed around the original watches worn by the pilots of the RAF. The italicized Arabic numbers are very unique and I love the way they tend to age into a creamy-white. They've become very collectible over the past couple of years. Even though they are a radical departure from the previous two generations, Omega still managed to provide some quirkiness in the line by choosing to package them in a metal tin that was recommended to double as a pencil holder!:laugh: Here's a blog entry that discusses the 3rd generation Dynamic (and others) more in depth:

LINK

Personally, I am looking to one day acquire a 1st generation Dynamic, preferably a day/date with a textured dial (tough to find). The elliptical shape just screams '70s and the size is right up my alley. The choice by Omega to go with the shape of an ellipse was made with an eye towards comfort. The belief was that having a watch that laid across the length of your wrist instead of straddling it would be more comfortable. They must have been really big into ergonomics around that time because the Chronostop was also designed with an eye towards comfort (and fashion) with most models made to be worn under the wrist (very cool back then). The Dynamics also were front-loaders with one piece cases. There is a lot of history behind the first generation Dynamics and I would love to see a museum re-issue at some point. There were quite a few dial variations, including the typically seen "time zone" dial:

There was also what is commonly referred to as a "racing dial". From what I've seen, these are least likely to be untouched and original:

There were even square versions:

Eventually Omega started to integrate the Dynamic line into the DeVille line, which created even more dial and case variants. Desmond (Mondodec) wrote a really nice essay that discusses the 1st generation Dynamic:

LINK

I know next to nothing about the 2nd generation Dynamic, so I leave that for someone else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thnks

Hi

Thanks from me too, I have a date only, minor case mar, -7 seconds a day, every day, not going to bother getting it regulated until it needs a service.

Noel

·
Premium Member
6,208 Posts
I still regret passing up a 3rd gen dynamic in great condition... I just wasn't confident enough to take the plunge (and yes, it was a bit too small if I have to be really honest)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts