WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Here is my Nautilus 508 on it's original bracelet.

I call it a 508 instead of a 503 because of the bracelet. The hands of the 503 and 508 are the same based on these catalog images. The only real difference is the bracelet.

Nautilus 508

Nautilus 503

Here is my Nautilus 509 on it's original bracelet.

Here is my Nautilus 600.

Here is my Nautilus 400 doppelganger in Masterpiece disguise.

I will also throw in my Skipjack on it's original bracelet since it is so close to the Nautilus 503/508. I believe the hands (maybe the entire dial and movement) on the Nautilus 508 in the first post are from a Skipjack rather than a Nautilus.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Here is my Nautilus 508 on it's original bracelet.

I call it a 508 instead of a 503 because of the bracelet. The hands of the 503 and 508 are the same based on these catalog images. The only real difference is the bracelet.

Nautilus 508

Nautilus 503

Here is my Nautilus 509 on it's original bracelet.

Here is my Nautilus 600.

Here is my Nautilus 400 doppelganger in Masterpiece disguise.

I will also throw in my Skipjack on it's original bracelet since it is so close to the Nautilus 503/508. I believe the hands (maybe the entire dial and movement) on the Nautilus 508 in the first post are from a Skipjack rather than a Nautilus.
Thanks for the response, I'm learning all the time. What you all call brackets I call lugs. I see what your talking about I thought someone was pulling a frank, however I'm luckey I have the original case. sources on the web are confusing I would rather learn from the experts not a web search. It looks according to your post I have a Skip Jack not a Nautilus... So confusing they look so close teach us please!!! I Will fix it back to original. Thanks Davemcc for pointing that out.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
Aw geez.... soon as Jim comes to play the rest of us may as well take our bats and go home.

All I can offer are a 506, 508 and 602, all with original bracelets..... I have a second 602 which needs a good home.

508 - New Old Stock - so I can't wear it!

602 OHWS (Obligatory Hairy Wrist Shot). When mated to an original bracelet this is a beautiful watch.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Thanks for the response, I'm learning all the time. What you all call brackets I call lugs. I see what your talking about I thought someone was pulling a frank, however I'm luckey I have the original case. sources on the web are confusing I would rather learn from the experts not a web search. It looks according to your post I have a Skip Jack not a Nautilus... So confusing they look so close teach us please!!! I Will fix it back to original. Thanks Davemcc for pointing that out.
Shep, regarding the 503/508, I am actually talking about the bracelet, i.e. the metal flex band. Otherwise, these two models are identical.

The Skipjack is also very close except for the lugs and the hands. I tried to go back to refer to your earlier post but I see that you have edited the 508 out of the OP. IIRC, that case was correct for the 503/508 but from the sound of it, you also have a Skipjack case. That's great.

Aw geez.... soon as Jim comes to play the rest of us may as well take our bats and go home.
Ain't that the truth.:biggrin:

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks Davemcc ,

Here is the correction. I have gone to 3 Nautilus to two. Here is the correction the 508 is a Skip Jack.

Thank you so much I always want to be correct.

Everyone Please post more of your Nautilus watches I Love it!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Just for certification the Nautilus 502 has almost the same case and brackets/lugs as the Skip Jack. That's why I believed it was not correct. Again I glad I corrected the watch. For my Knowledge what year is the Skip Jack?

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
Just for certification the Nautilus 502 has almost the same case and brackets/lugs as the Skip Jack. That's why I believed it was not correct. Again I glad I corrected the watch. For my Knowledge what year is the Skip Jack?
The Skip Jack was released on December 15, 1961 (just in time for Christmas - as was the case for many (most?) of Hamilton's models) at a cost of $79.50 with the metal bracelet. It's not known how many were made or sold.

To quote Rene Rondeau's fine text "The Watch of the Future", "The Skip Jack was a popular model which was catalogued with the same dial as the Nautilus 501, except that the markers are yellow rather than white [gold]. A variation with a railroad style dial was also sold; this version is scarce".

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice adds, I especially like the light bulb add. I was in the airport couple weeks back and a watch and sunglasses store had there products cased and displayed around old industrial light bulbs. I wonder where they got the idea? Old adds are great.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Thanks Davemcc ,

Here is the correction. I have gone to 3 Nautilus to two. Here is the correction the 508 is a Skip Jack.

Thank you so much I always want to be correct.

Everyone Please post more of your Nautilus watches I Love it!
Here is a twist with an update due to further information which I just noticed. It appears that in the original photo that was deleted in the OP, that could be considered a Nautilus 501 in that configuration.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.