WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a gold buyer just the other day and he had two longines and one accutron case that
Somebody had sold him for scrap and he give them the movements and bands
Back and is going to melt the cases! I wonder how many of these solid gold Accutrons
Will end up melted? It should be a crime to melt a iconic watch
For just the gold! Just my opinion!

·
Super Moderator
16,551 Posts
How do you think we Hamilton collectors feel? Just go eBay and look at all the naked movements for sale. :cursing:

·
Banned
605 Posts
I was at a gold buyer just the other day and he had two longines and one accutron case that
Somebody had sold him for scrap and he give them the movements and bands
Back and is going to melt the cases! I wonder how many of these solid gold Accutrons
Will end up melted? It should be a crime to melt a iconic watch
For just the gold! Just my opinion!
It's odd. There must be an easier way of making a buck. There can't be that much gold that it's worth the effort. It's sort of like scrapping the fat out of your arteries and selling it to soap makers.

·
Premium Member
5,724 Posts
They are doing the same thing to 70's Pulsar 14 & 18Kt solid gold watches. Its a shame.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Just look at all of the movements for sale on the bay and almost all of them came from gold watches, very few from SS. That is why I have switched to buying almost nothing but gold Accutrons. I'm trying to combine collecting with saving a few from the smelter.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
it is a shame but It is somewhat our fault its happening....let me explain, it is human nature we want to buy things at discount prices, think about it you see an old watch on the bay the owner is trying to sell it for a reasonable price but everyone is trying to get it for 99 cents.......do you blame the owner. Don't get me wrong I want to get good deals as well, but from what I have seen ....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, I recently bought out the remains
Of a watch makers estate and I bet there
Was almost 200 naked movements, most
We're hamilton and bulova that had gold cases.
There was 50 or so pocket watch movements
That he had scraped the cases. What really
Bugs me is when somebody inhierants a gold
Watch and the first thing they do is see
How much they can scrap the gold for!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also only buy gold Accutrons-currently own fourteen. I have always loved solid gold watches. I do base my purchase somewhat on the current gold value. My first criteria is condition-mint condition, gold and running is how I buy. If the price is below the gold value i will give a little on condition. The great thing about gold is that can almost always be polished back to mint condition. Since the gold dealers believe gold will go to $3000/gram, why not stick to gold accutrons. If this helps preserve gold accutrons even better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.