WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Just wondering if a Service would be required if its been sitting in its case for ten years idle. Or would I treat it as a brand new watch straight of the production line? More concerned about degeneration of lubrication to be honest.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The watch is in new, never worn condition? It would probably be fine without immediate servicing, but if you want to be on the safe side you might as well take it in.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
If the watch belonged to me I would give it a try and see how it does. If after a week it is running to spec then I would not service it. However, if it did not run properly then it would get a service. Cheers, Bill P.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Even the best modern lubricants are dead in less than ten years.

If you don't want to damage the watch, get it serviced; if you subscribe to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school (I certainly do not), run it until it dies.

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
124Spider said:

If you don't want to damage the watch, get it serviced; if you subscribe to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school (I certainly do not), run it until it dies.
I agree. But I wouldn't even put this in that category. It's a simple servicing, if you can afford it, do it.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
:001_tt2: The grads from that school wear 'dunce caps' at graduation.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok thanks for all that guy's. I assumed that I would treat a watch like a car. The watch in question is the Seamaster 40th anniversary 007. For sale on eBay. For 2300 GBP. Never been used but obviously 10 years old. To be honest I'm not a huge Bond fan so the 007 plastered all over the face put me off some what.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Well, if you use the car analogy, I would run away. Nothing scares me more than a car that has sat for a long time.

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
~tc~ said:
Well, if you use the car analogy, I would run away. Nothing scares me more than a car that has sat for a long time.
Omg right? Which reminds me. The gaskets need to get changed on the watch before you get a drip of water on it. (not literally)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts