WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has a special significance as it is the last of the 2180, 218D, 2181 and 2182 Accutrons I have for my collection (240 different models). I guess the problems encountered were fairly typical but I'll go through them. This watch typifies why old Accutrons must not be run without being serviced. The center wheel assembly was so gunged up on the center post that I had to work away at it with fine nosed pliers to get it off. The center post was extremely worn and had to be replaced, as did the center wheel assembly as the clutch was worn out. The component coil drew too much current and had to be replaced. The tuning fork had one magnet well below the other in strength so was re magnetized.
The date pawl and spring are tricky to install in 218Ds and after about an hour and two lost springs I came up with a new strategy: Install the pawl on its pin pointing out to the side. Then place the spring in position. Put the date indicator on but but outboard of the pawl. Then hold down the pawl and spring with finger tip and push the date indicator into place. Keep the date indicator held down and remove finger tip from pawl and spring. The date bridge can then be installed.
DSC03244.jpg

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Long time Vim203. (y) Congrats, that's a heck of an accomplishment!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Great Job! That is something indeed. Plus you would have one of the world's most impressive 218 collections in history I am sure! Your annual battery bill must be frightening!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great Job! That is something indeed. Plus you would have one of the world's most impressive 218 collections in history I am sure! Your annual battery bill must be frightening!
Thanks Eric and Rob. Although I like to get each box lot running in unison I take the batteries out for storage to prevent index wheel wear. The electronics are probably better to be run all the time so who knows whether I'm doing the right thing. I run all my Accutrons on LR1130 cells (alkaline) which cost 10c each when bought 200 at a time so even If I had them all running the cost would be insignificant. I am now looking forward to sorting them into order such as US from Swiss and putting ss and gold plate versions of the same case together. Then it's on to 219s, Universal Geneve and Citizen models.
Garry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts