WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after about a month of searching high and low for a reputable watchmaker, I sent my SMP to get serviced. Since I don't want to break any kind of rules regarding posting names, I won't say who is doing the work unless someone chimes in here and says it's ok. I will say it's not Omega. If I get the OK, I will post the name and turn this thread into a review when I get the watch returned.
It's going to be a long 4-5 weeks, but I'm excited to see the results!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, after about a month of searching high and low for a reputable watchmaker, I sent my SMP to get serviced. Since I don't want to break any kind of rules regarding posting names, I won't say who is doing the work unless someone chimes in here and says it's ok. I will say it's not Omega. If I get the OK, I will post the name and turn this thread into a review when I get the watch returned.
It's going to be a long 4-5 weeks, but I'm excited to see the results!
hey, I'm sure it's not just me, but we are waiting for your update.....!! ;-) did you get the watch back yet??
Graham

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I don't have my Seamaster back yet! :crying: I emailed on Mon April 22 to ask for an update, and I got a response within an hour stating, "so sorry for the delay. The work is in progress now and should be completed in the next couple days." Seems like the customer service communications is decent, because I have always received very quick responses.
I'm starting to get a little bummed about the timing though. Their website says turnaround time is 4-5 weeks; I was told in an email 3-4 weeks... they have had my watch since Mar 14...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Patience is never something I have had great luck with. I know I'm being a little bit of a whining baby about another week, but I'm also a firm believer in not promising something I can't deliver. A courtesy call to explain a few more days were necessary would have been enough to pacify me.
With that said, my credit card was charged today by the shop, so I hope that means it's ready to be shipped back to me! I am really excited to the ol' girl again!
Haha, ulackfocus, I'm pretty sure my much more common SMP is a LOT easier to get parts for than any JLC.. although 10 months and 13 months is a long time!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the service is complete, and the watch is scheduled for delivery Thursday this week. I can't wait to see what it looks like. Of course I will post pics, but I must forewarn they offered to replace the blue bezel as mine has a scratch. I declined because that would have added $325 to the price. I hope the rest looks great!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My Planet Ocean went out (to Omega through AD) on April 1; I am told to expect it July 1...
I wanted to send mine to Bienne, but I wasn't really happy with their email response. I asked them what the procedure was to send it directly to Beinne, and the response was to let my closest service center take care of it. Maybe there was a bit of a language barrier, and the rep meant the watch would then be sent to Bienne? I don't know, but the 12 week wait was also a deciding factor.
Basically I did a search on here for Omega service to see what others were recommending, and selected the business that had a lot of positive feedback. I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got my watch back on Thurs evening. I must say it looks great, certainly for a 15 year old Seamaster that is not a box queen. There are, as mentioned above, a few scratches in the blue bezel. I declined replacement. There are a couple deeper scratches on the clasp that couldn't be polished out, but other than that she looks almost new. Time through approximately 40 hours set to an online atomic clock is -5 seconds. That's within COSC standards, although it was running within spec before service (the reason for service was a stripped crown/tube). I am very pleased! Pictures coming soon... I have a crap camera and skills, but I'll take it to my sister's studio and have her take some prof pics with the bracelet and my custom Red Twelve strap... :tongue_smilie:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the kind words!
So, I'll go ahead and say that I had the watch serviced by Nesbit's in Seattle. The cost for the service was $485 (category 1 Omega mechanical). The price included cleaning, proper lubing, replacing crown/tube, polishing of the case and bracelet, all new Omega seals, calibrating the 1120 movement to COSC standards, and pressure testing to 300 meters. They also adjusted the wetsuit clasp to function properly, as it was very loose. I was given the option to replace the bezel ($325) and bracelet ($595 I think), but I declined.
Jan provides excellent customer service, and responded to my emails within hours. Shipping and insurance from me and back to me brought my total cost to $540. This is the first time I've ever had a fine watch serviced, so I can't make any comparisons, but Nesbit's exceeded my expectations. To top it off, they gave me a 30 month warranty on their work.
I will never sell this watch; I plan to pass it on to my son some day. But I am curious as to how much you guys think it's worth from a private sale standpoint, especially now that it has a documented recent service. I saw the exact same model on eBay last week, and the buy it now was $1299! The one for sale had a lot more scratches than mine. Honestly, I don't even think I would ask that much for mine as it is now. Thanks again

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.