WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my first post, and I really need advice on my watch. It's a Seamaster Professional 200M Quartz. This is the only thing I've ever bought in a duty-free. In 1990 it cost me the grand sum of $369. That was a lot for a starving college student.

Over the years I've had the battery changed, but never took it in for a real servicing. It's a shame because this is such a comfortable watch. I also like that you don't see so many of them out there. It's rare for me to run into anyone wearing the same watch.

Can I save my Seamaster? The bezel is faded. It needs new hands. The face is dirty and no longer glows. The crown probably needs a new seal. The bracelet needs to be buffed.

Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
This is my first post, and I really need advice on my watch. It's a Seamaster Professional 200M Quartz. This is the only thing I've ever bought in a duty-free. In 1990 it cost me the grand sum of $369. That was a lot for a starving college student.

Over the years I've had the battery changed, but never took it in for a real servicing. It's a shame because this is such a comfortable watch. I also like that you don't see so many of them out there. It's rare for me to run into anyone wearing the same watch.

Can I save my Seamaster? The bezel is faded. It needs new hands. The face is dirty and no longer glows. The crown probably needs a new seal. The bracelet needs to be buffed.

Any ideas would be welcome. Thanks!

Hello Friend

A very warm welcome to WTF and OMEGALand. That was a lot of watch and WISdon for a starving college student too I'd say ;)

How is the time-keeping of the watch incidentally? It certainly needs a good service provided there has not been any moisture damage to the inner mechanism of the watch it may well be fine. Almost everything can be replaced. You could take it in to an Omega AD or look up the list of service charges which Bienne will make in respect of the watch - there's a link in the resource section which will be of assistance.

I'm sure other members will drop by with more helpful hints.

Talk soon

Be well now

ZIN

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you kindly for your fast reply.

The watch keeps good time. I should have added that at one point, there was some fogging inside. That was about a year ago. A local place made sure everything was dry and put a new battery in.

Over the months I had intended to bring it in for service. The closest store to me (in Boston) is Alpha Omega. They have recently entered bankruptcy. I hope there is some place locally that can do the refurb.

It's kind of ironic that I don't even use a watch for diving anymore. Now I use a computer, so the watch is for everything else.

If it costs $1000 I would purchase a new watch, probably the 2254.50.00 (300M Seamaster Professional Automatic Gents).

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
It won't be anything like that in the order of costs but if you're willing to spend in that region the 2254.50 will last you a lifetime.

Best WIShes

ZIN

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
That is going to be the problem with getting your watch serviced."should I just buy a new one instead of spending $x."

I guess getting a quote would be a good start and it really depends on how attatched you are to the watch.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I for one would love to see that SMP back to its original glory. It's obviousley been well used and abused and as its only 17 / 18 years old, parts should still be available.

Get a quote for the repairs and take it from there. Whatever you do decide, don't toss it away. It's a beauty!

·
Registered
276 Posts
It depends how much this particular Omega means to you. If it means a lot then look into repairing this old guy. He has taken care of you, might as well take care of him.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Here's some Omega Authorized Service Centers..

Call around and see what they will do for you:

SG Customer Service
1817 William Penn Way, Lancaster, PA 17601
Phone:
Fax:
Repairs:
Extension 3018
Email:
[email protected]
Parts:
Extension 3037

Swiss Watch Repair Center
60 East 42nd Street, Suite 2328 New York NY 10165
Phone:
Fax:

Omega Service Agency
1010 Jefferson Building, 1015 Chestnut St. Philadelphia, PA 19107
Phone:
Fax:

Midwest:

United Authorized Service Center
Village Plaza, 1st Floor, 23400 Michigan Ave. Dearborn, MI 48124
Phone:
Fax:

Swiss Service Center
17 1/2 Calendar Court, La Grange, IL 60525
Phone:
Fax:

Omega Service Agency
4708 West 84th Street, Bloomington, MN 55437
Phone:
Fax:

West:

Omega Service Agency
210 Post Street, Room 802, San Francisco, CA 94108
Phone:
Fax:

Walter Gooden, Inc.
2050 Bundy Drive, Suite 290, Los Angeles, CA 90025
Phone:
Fax:

Northwest:

Nesbit's Service
1425 2th Avenue, Suite 402, Seattle, WA 98101
Phone:
Fax:

South:

Swiss Time Service Center
1101 S. Rogers Circle, Suite 8 Boca Raton, FL 33487
Phone:
Fax:

Time Tech
13140 Colt Road, Suite 519, Dallas Texas 75240
Phone:
Fax:

:cool1:

·
Registered
748 Posts
...And if you DO decide to sell it, rather than repair it, I know someone who'd love to have it (ME!):thumbup:

It is a very cool piece, and Omega will make it look as good as new once again for you, if you decide to have them refurbish it.

Wear it with pride!

However, any of the Seamaster Professionals are EXCELLENT choices as an up-graded replacement, and as Zin mentioned, will last your lifetime (and likely much longer).

Welcome to the Omega Clan!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update- Now Looking For Bezel Insert Pre-Bond

Last week I took the watch to my local watchmaker. They had previously done a good job overhauling my old Blancpain.

The watchmaker can repaint the hands, clean the face up and give the bracelet an overhaul. However, they've called Omega and can't find a bezel insert. Would Omega not have parts available for a watch that's only 18 years old?

Does anyone know about finding an after market insert? I'm not too concerned about authenticity. I like the watch for its sentimental value. And right now I'm wearing a fake sub that gains at least a minute a day.

Omega Seamaster Professional Quartz
circa 1990
The larger of the two versions available
case number 396.10.41

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi from another newbie to the group. (Come to think of it this is my first post to this group.) I notice you are from the Boston area. (Me too.) Too bad aboout Alpha/Omega. I stopped in a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway, there is a watch repair shop in Stoneham, MA that has an excellent reputation:
The Watchmaker
379 Main Street
Stoneham, MA 02180 USA
Toll-Free: 1-888-852-6968
[email protected]

You might want to contact them about your Omega.
Good luck.

Karl

·
Banned
18,138 Posts
Welcome to OMEGALand Karl.

Many thanks for your input. Hope you'll make us your daily port of call :thumbup1:

Enjoy your weekend :001_smile:

ZIN

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Karl. Stoneham is actually close to my office. I used The Swiss Watchmaker because they have given me excellent service before.

Anyone have a source for aftermarket parts?

·
Registered
6,084 Posts
:):)

WELCOME Karl to the Omega forum:thumbup:

Omega1, theres ofrei.com that has a lot of Omega hard to find stuff.:thumbup1:

diver88:):)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ofrei doesn't have the part.

How does a manufacturer such as Omega not support their products? This isn't an ancient watch. Omega's lack of parts availablility is enough for me to consider not buying an Omega product again.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Ofrei doesn't have the part.

How does a manufacturer such as Omega not support their products? This isn't an ancient watch. Omega's lack of parts availablility is enough for me to consider not buying an Omega product again.
One of the issues of Omega (v. Rolex) is that Omega changes their model line up more often, so there are lots more variations and hence more obscure parts, I think that buying an omega like a modern seamaster would have greater long term parts availability, since the watch is very popular, and likely to be in production for a long time. -plus I think Omega was still on the comeback trail in the early 1990s and not as big of a player (with as big of a reputation to uphold) as they are now.

Looks like your watch has a pretty standard aluminum insert, of which there are tons aftermarket...the trick is getting one the right size-(both inner and outer diameter), since most are designed to fit a modern sub or seamaster.
although there are some Rolex Submariner fans who love that faded bezel look, and the faded hands and dial.

I think that if the watch has sentimental value, go ahead and get it fixed, and rock the faded bezel if needed, I mean heck, you know where 12 is, so its still usable :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts