WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I own a Longines Flagship Heritage (bought 2 months ago) and I am suspicious there is something wrong with self-winding. Already experienced doubts a few weeks ago, then gave it to full service but I'm afraid issues are still there (the manual winding seems however satisfactory, giving 42 hours of reserve as expected).

I'm a newbie in the high-end watches world but trying to build up my knowledge so please bare with it.

Can you please confirm this also looks weird to you (in that case I'll again give it to service and raise my voice a bit) based on the tests I ran below ?

Test 1 :
  • Sunday 16:00 : gave a full manual wind and let the watch unworn.
  • Monday 16:00 : gave 100 "back and forth" turns while on wrist, then removed it.
  • Tuesday 10:20 : the mechanism stopped, 42h20 after the full manual winding.
--> My conclusion : the 100 "back and forth" turns apparently did not add anything to the reserve. Seems abnormal.

Test 2 :
  • Once mechanism is stopped, gave my watch 100 "back and forth" turns while on wrist, without using the crown for winding or adjusting.
  • Outcome : no reaction.
--> My conclusion : I suspect something is wrong with self-winding as the power generated by wrist should suffice to top up the movement.

Test 3 :
  • Tuesday 10:35 : adjusted the time, then gave the watch 100 movements like a pendulum (without manual winding).
  • Outcome : the mechanism stopped 1h10 later.
--> My conclusion : again, I suspect something is wrong as the 100 pendulum movements should (I think) top up the power reserve even without self winding.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Results of my self-winding test :
  • Wednesday morning : Mechanism off so I wounded manually 10 turns, wore it during 15h30
  • Thursday : wore it during 12h20 during the day until 20h00
  • Friday morning : discovered that mechanism stopped at 5h45.
Looks OK to you ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I gave only 10 turns purposely so to isolate the defect, means the self-winding in that case. I earlier gave it a full wind (40+ turns) and the power reserve was satisfactory, in alignment with the specs.
In that case, I suspect there's something wrong as I know cases of wearing the same watch during 2 weeks and mechanism still running.
I already gave the same watch to service though I'm sad to see nothing has changed. This time I'll try to get the movement replaced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts