WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IMG_4114_2__20945.1477084189.500.750.jpg

Has anyone ever used this tool? It seems a bit pricy. Is it really worth the money? That being said does anyone know of a discounted source?

·
Super Moderator
15,313 Posts
Has anyone ever used this tool? It seems a bit pricy. Is it really worth the money?
I don't know....I don't read minds, and you don't say what the price is! But Otto Frie's site sells them for over $100 after shipping, and IMHO that is too much unless you have a watch repair business as your source of income. Or you're into oversized (48mm and larger) watches. Then you'll want the finest tools money can buy! But you don't want to go in the other direction either. Cheapo watch tools are like cheapo mechanics/carpenters tools. They won't last....they're made of inferior materials that break or bend out of shape.

Yes, I've used A SIMILAR tool. I paid $4.99 for it and it's okay for the 2 or 3 times per year that I use it. BUT...it's only open and closes. The four vise pegs do not adjust laterally, and that's a feature you should have without question.
A vise like this one on eBay, with 2-way adjustment, shouldn't be more than $20.

Aluminum-Watch-Case-Holder-for-Movement-Watches-Watchmaker-_1.jpg

Reactions: mikeyt_53

·
Super Moderator
5,691 Posts
I don't know....I don't read minds, and you don't say what the price is! But Otto Frie's site sells them for over $100 after shipping, and IMHO that is too much unless you have a watch repair business as your source of income. Or you're into oversized (48mm and larger) watches. Then you'll want the finest tools money can buy! But you don't want to go in the other direction either. Cheapo watch tools are like cheapo mechanics/carpenters tools. They won't last....they're made of inferior materials that break or bend out of shape.

Yes, I've used A SIMILAR tool. I paid $4.99 for it and it's okay for the 2 or 3 times per year that I use it. BUT...it's only open and closes. The four vise pegs do not adjust laterally, and that's a feature you should have without question.
A vise like this one on eBay, with 2-way adjustment, shouldn't be more than $20.

View attachment 194434

The one that Comet has pictured is the one I've used for the last 6-7 yrs and it works just fine. If having the biggest/best/fanciest is what turns your crank then by all means spend the money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts