WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, I just joined today, nice to meet you all :001_smile:

My budget is around 150 , What is a good watch from each of these companies within this price range ?

Lume isn't as important, but would be nice.
Needs to look nice and classy :blushing:

Thanks for looking !

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

The only difference between those models would be the bezel. "OB" and "C" being the same watch with the coin edge bezel while the other is a scalloped bezel.

Do you want an automatic or quartz?

If I had $150 burning a hole in my pocket for a watch, I would look at Orient, Seiko (Seiko 5) or Citizen.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forums!

The only difference between those models would be the bezel. "OB" and "C" being the same watch with the coin edge bezel while the other is a scalloped bezel.

Do you want an automatic or quartz?

If I had $150 burning a hole in my pocket for a watch, I would look at Orient, Seiko (Seiko 5) or Citizen.

I'm open to suggestions :( Don't know where to look

·
Registered
656 Posts
Start by forgetting about Invicta & look into Seiko & Orient. They actually make watches! Look for your price & the style that appeals to you within that range. You won't go wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
272 Posts
OK, I'll take a contrarian approach, I've got nine Invicta's and have bought several more for family without coming across a bad one. Frankly I'm not too enthusiastic about the styling of the Seikos I've seen. I've owned them before and was never excited by them.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Keep that $150 in your pocket for one month while you come here everyday and look around. Then you will have a much better idea what is available to you. If you just go down to Walmart for a fine time piece, you will be very limited in your search. If Flava Flave had come here years ago, someone could have encouraged him to wear a watch instead of a clock - BOYEEE!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Hi,

I think forum rules prevent one from linking to deals that aren't provided by forum sponsors, so you aren't going to get any direct link to deals unless they are by a sponsor.

But I'll second the suggestions that you look at something other than Invicta. I just started collecting watches about six months back. The first fancy watch I bought was an Invicta Reserve Venom. It is an impressive, big, pretty watch and seems well made. I like it. They aren't bad watches at all. I paid $350 for it. But....

-Invicta seems to contract out their watch building and that Swiss made watch may well be Chinese made even though it says Swiss made.
-Their warranty service, if you ever need it, is legendarily bad.
-Most Invictas use "Flame Fusion" crystals which I now know is a fancy name for mineral crystal coated with sapphire. Despite their claims, nothing beats a sapphire crystal.
-Watch ShopNBC and get a load of the owner of Invicta. Used car salesman comes to mind :biggrin:

So, knowing what I know now, for $350 I could have found a real Swiss made watch like a Hamilton or a Victorinox or a Bulova Accutron that was made in Switzerland, with a guaranteed Swiss movement, that came with a sapphire crystal.

My suggestion is to peruse to the one day deal sites and wait for a Victorinox or Wegner, or Accutron to pop up for around $175 (a little more than you have). Or look at Orient Watches. They are a Japanese company that makes their own automatic movements. I just bought one and it is a beautiful work of art and mechanics. I think Orient at their site is still offering 30% off their watches. Worth a look.

As for Seiko, I don't own one and can't offer any opinion other than their designs don't interest me. But, that is a matter of taste : )

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi,

The first fancy watch I bought was an Invicta Reserve Venom. It is an impressive, big, pretty watch and seems well made. I like it. They aren't bad watches at all. I paid $350 for it. But....

I'D NEVER PAY $350 FOR A VENOM; I WAS ABLE TO FIND A MIDSIZE VENON FOR 100 LESS, FWIW.

-Invicta seems to contract out their watch building and that Swiss made watch may well be Chinese made even though it says Swiss made.

DEFINITIONS OF SWISS MADE:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_Made

-Most Invictas use "Flame Fusion" crystals which I now know is a fancy name for mineral crystal coated with sapphire. Despite their claims, nothing beats a sapphire crystal.
-Watch ShopNBC and get a load of the owner of Invicta. Used car salesman comes to mind :biggrin:

SHOPNBC IS LIKELY THE LAST PLACE I'D BUY FROM; OVERPRICED TO SAY IT LIGHTLY. AT LEAST TWICE AS EXPENSIVE AS COSTCO FOR THE SAME WATCHES AND FOUR TIMES AS EXPENSIVE AS THEY CAN BE FOUND ELSEWHERE. ALSO DO YOU HAPPEN TO KNOW WHO THE CEOS OF OTHER COMPANIES ARE AND WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE. DOES IT MATTER?

So, knowing what I know now, for $350 I could have found a real Swiss made watch like a Hamilton or a Victorinox or a Bulova Accutron that was made in Switzerland, with a guaranteed Swiss movement, that came with a sapphire crystal.

DO YOU REALLY THINK YOU COULD FIND A 1000 METER WATCH FOR THAT PRICE (IN MY CASE $250). IF YOU DIDN'T NEED THE WATER RESISTANCE WHY BUY THE VENOM?

My suggestion is to peruse to the one day deal sites and wait for a Victorinox or Wegner, or Accutron to pop up for around $175 (a little more than you have). Or look at Orient Watches. They are a Japanese company that makes their own automatic movements. I just bought one and it is a beautiful work of art and mechanics. I think Orient at their site is still offering 30% off their watches. Worth a look.

I'VE GOT A WEGNER AS WELL AND IT IS NICE BUT NOTHING TO WRITE HOME ABOUT.

As for Seiko, I don't own one and can't offer any opinion other than their designs don't interest me. But, that is a matter of taste : )
Just my thoughts; I'm certain there are plenty who agree with you as this thread indicates.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Hi,

The first fancy watch I bought was an Invicta Reserve Venom. It is an impressive, big, pretty watch and seems well made. I like it. They aren't bad watches at all. I paid $350 for it. But....

I'D NEVER PAY $350 FOR A VENOM; I WAS ABLE TO FIND A MIDSIZE VENON FOR 100 LESS, FWIW.

DEFINITIONS OF SWISS MADE:

Swiss Made - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-Watch ShopNBC and get a load of the owner of Invicta. Used car salesman comes to mind

SHOPNBC IS LIKELY THE LAST PLACE I'D BUY FROM; OVERPRICED TO SAY IT LIGHTLY. AT LEAST TWICE AS EXPENSIVE AS COSTCO FOR THE SAME WATCHES AND FOUR TIMES AS EXPENSIVE AS THEY CAN BE FOUND ELSEWHERE. ALSO DO YOU HAPPEN TO KNOW WHO THE CEOS OF OTHER COMPANIES ARE AND WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE. DOES IT MATTER?

DO YOU REALLY THINK YOU COULD FIND A 1000 METER WATCH FOR THAT PRICE (IN MY CASE $250). IF YOU DIDN'T NEED THE WATER RESISTANCE WHY BUY THE VENOM?

I'VE GOT A WEGNER AS WELL AND IT IS NICE BUT NOTHING TO WRITE HOME ABOUT.

-I'm not criticizing you on your choice of watches. Design wise, Invicta seems to put a lot of effort into it. I wish other watch makers would sculpt their watches rather than just machining them. And despite its massive size, my Venom is a classy watch.

-Why did I buy the Venom? Because it was my first watch and was very shiny:001_smile:

-As far as where Invictas are made, it is just they aren't honest about it. They have been caught claiming a watch was Swiss made and yet when taken apart, it says China made. That's a shame.

-The CEO of Invicta--it isn't his looks, it is just he has been caught in a lot mis-statements like saying they have factories in Switzerland.

-I've never bought from ShopNBC because their prices are high, but I have watched it just see what is available.

-I don't understand why Invicta doesn't clean up their act and improve the QA and CS. Honesty goes a long way.

-Yes, some of the big names have blah designs agreed.

-With that said, if you like Invicta, buy it, but I myself would pick an Orient over an Invicta. But, no one can argue that Invicta's designs are run of the mill. There are in fact bold.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
BTW, I'm not purist. I have couple of Swiss Legends. They are decent watches as well.

Here's my Reserve Venom. The design effort is obvious and who doesn't like a big date and huge day display at the top of the dial? This is a diving watch? I think the weight would sink you to the bottom of the ocean :lol:

·
Registered
272 Posts
BTW, I'm not purist. I have couple of Swiss Legends. They are decent watches as well.

Here's my Reserve Venom. The design effort is obvious and who doesn't like a big date and huge day display at the top of the dial? This is a diving watch? I think the weight would sink you to the bottom of the ocean :lol:
And that is exactly why I went with the midsized version. A bit smaller and really comfortable.

I've also got a SAN IV which as large a watch as I'd want to own. It is truly a brute and great as a knock around for roughing it on the water.

I really believe that the Invicta larger watches started as dive watches and evolved into fashion statements. I prefer them as dive/water sport watches. Large for over a wet suit with easy to grab timing dials. Good designs for that purpose, maybe that and for pro football players wrists.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hmm. lowering my budget to 100 :X .
so far from orient the UG1R002B appeals to me .
in terms of look I am just looking for classy, while having a quality watch :X .

rather than direct deals, I was just hoping for suggestions of models ? :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.