WATCH TALK FORUMS banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was wondering if anyone can provide info on cases using automatic and quartz movements. I have a 7009 in a non diver case and was wondering can that be dropped in a different case like say a diver case. also I a seiko quartz and im looking for a diver case but dont which diver case model. sounds confusing frak im confused just typing this up

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
To help you, I need to know what position the crown is at on the 7009 non diver case, or a pic would be good. For the most part, the 7009 is the non-diver "day & date" version of the case reference for the 7002 "date only" version caliber diver if my memory serves me right, so depending on what model you have its very likely that it very well can be swapped into the 7002 divers case.

Your next question is a very commonly asked question, can and will auto & quartz calibers and dials be swapped or switched into vice/versa cases, the answer is yes depending on the models your interested in and as long as there like calibers of size, layout and height and crown position. The most commonly used models from SEIKO which are interchangeable from one to the others are the 7548 quartz divers into the 6309 series diver cases and vice/versa, along with the 6105 diver as well, but there are a few more limitations with the 6105, as compared to the 6309 auto & 7548 quartz calibers which are completly 100% compatible.

Hope that helps, :wink:
Cheers,
Jim

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Not sure about the 8223, does it have a 4 o'clock crown position?

Up above, yes your 7009 will go into the 7002 divers case it appears and more than likely fit like a glove. In fact, I think that would be a pretty cool look with the golden tone bezel insert.

Thanks & good luck. You can always experiment swapping like models and calibers, at worst one wont fit into the other when your unsure, but there are many possibilities with mods and swaps in many of the older and vintage models, both automatic and quartz.

Cheers,
Jim

·
Registered
76 Posts
Or the 8223 quartz movement is the a compatible diver case View attachment 34597
View attachment 34598
The quartz movements that will fit in the 6309 diver case are much thicker than the 8223 so it would require custom spacers. Additionally the 3 o'clock crown wouldn't work.

The 7009 actually has a 3:18 crown rather than the 4:00 crown so the day/date wheel won't line up. What cobblers do is remove the dial feet then reposition it with glue or double sided tape. Once you've don that then you have to build a custom stem and crown.

I'm not aware of any 3 o'clock 6309 dive cases

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Exactly Archie, thats why I mentioned the primary sawpability feature of the 4 crown

and that must match up first or there no reason to go any futher. He needs a 4 o'clock 7009 crown if he wants to swap with into a 7002 divers case.

I also mentioned that the most useable swappable caliber for the 6309, is the 7548 quartz, but there are other automatic caliber options, as seen by Mr. Kelly Rayburns famous mods.

Although today, some of the modders seem to splice anything together these days. :lol:

Happy Holidays, :thumbup1:
Jim

The quartz movements that will fit in the 6309 diver case are much thicker than the 8223 so it would require custom spacers. Additionally the 3 o'clock crown wouldn't work.

The 7009 actually has a 3:18 crown rather than the 4:00 crown so the day/date wheel won't line up. What cobblers do is remove the dial feet then reposition it with glue or double sided tape. Once you've don that then you have to build a custom stem and crown.

I'm not aware of any 3 o'clock 6309 dive cases

·
Registered
76 Posts
and that must match up first or there no reason to go any futher. He needs a 4 o'clock 7009 crown if he wants to swap with into a 7002 divers case.

I also mentioned that the most useable swappable caliber for the 6309, is the 7548 quartz, but there are other automatic caliber options, as seen by Mr. Kelly Rayburns famous mods.

Although today, some of the modders seem to splice anything together these days. :lol:

Happy Holidays, :thumbup1:
Jim
The problem with the 7009, 7005, 7006, etc. is that they were all 3:18(or 3:00) crowns as are the later 7s26, 6r15, 4rxx, etc.
Seiko gave the 7002 calibre the 4:00 crown because it was the last calibre to be fit in the classic SKX style before the newer 7s26 was introduced. With the 7s26; the SKC line changed to the 3:18 crown.

So; to put the 7009 into a 7002 case, it requires the dial feet removal; day/date wheels swapped and the crown/stem custom fit. There may also be movement spacer issues as well since the 7002 and the 7009 are different in thickness; which means stem height could be a problem.

If I was going to attempt putting the 7009 into any dive watch case; it would be the 6309-729x as there seem to be many more mod parts available to help with this type of swap.

Edit: One other thing that could be a problem is that depending on the 7009 watch that the movement comes out of; the pinions may not be long enough to handle the thicker diver hands...they could end up being to close to or touching the dial.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Dont know about that for sure?....That's why I mentioned they need to be @ 4 o'clock

I'm not sure about all 7009's not having 4 o'clock crowns, thought I had one at one time that was a day/date with crown at 4, but it was so long ago that I can't remember, and really it's not my thing anyways. I'm sure you know much more about those 7009's than I do Archie, too many variables for me.

That's why I'm not a modding type guy, I stick with all OEM to prevent any problems...:lol:

Cheers,
Jim

The problem with the 7009, 7005, 7006, etc. is that they were all 3:18(or 3:00) crowns as are the later 7s26, 6r15, 4rxx, etc.
Seiko gave the 7002 calibre the 4:00 crown because it was the last calibre to be fit in the classic SKX style before the newer 7s26 was introduced. With the 7s26; the SKC line changed to the 3:18 crown.

So; to put the 7009 into a 7002 case, it requires the dial feet removal; day/date wheels swapped and the crown/stem custom fit. There may also be movement spacer issues as well since the 7002 and the 7009 are different in thickness; which means stem height could be a problem.

If I was going to attempt putting the 7009 into any dive watch case; it would be the 6309-729x as there seem to be many more mod parts available to help with this type of swap.

Edit: One other thing that could be a problem is that depending on the 7009 watch that the movement comes out of; the pinions may not be long enough to handle the thicker diver hands...they could end up being to close to or touching the dial.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm not sure about all 7009's not having 4 o'clock crowns, thought I had one at one time that was a day/date with crown at 4, but it was so long ago that I can't remember, and really it's not my thing anyways. I'm sure you know much more about those 7009's than I do Archie, too many variables for me.

That's why I'm not a modding type guy, I stick with all OEM to prevent any problems...:lol:

Cheers,
Jim
No problem Jimmy; there is jsut so much out there to know. But when it comes to the 6309; I know who to ask :wink:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys I just wanted to ask, I recently just bought a seiko 7002-7000 movement and it didnt come with a case do you guys know which models have the same case I could fit it into?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts