WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was a teenager I liked black watches. However one time I saw a PVD black coated watch after some time of use and noticed that the coating had worn through showing in most edges the silver color of the metal. The other surfaces showed a greyish color coating indicating the wearing off of the black. While some people like watches with some wear on them, I prefer them in a pristine condition and that view kind of turned me off the black watch model, meaning I was not interested in black coated PVD/DLC watches at all, in fact I would not even consider looking at them.

That changed a few days ago when another WIS offered a PVD black coated watch in trade for a watch I was selling/trading. It is not that I changed my mind overnight, but the watch was a Stargate and I jad just gotten the steel model Stargate and really liked it. I thought that I would check out the black PVD version because it looked pretty good.

I got the watch in record time and when I received it I actually decided that it was a good looking watch. I got the bracelet too, unused and wrapped, I decided to leave it so and wear it on a Nato strap that I got with it as well. However I think that it will look better with another color combination strap which I am still researching. In the meantime I shot a few photos of the watch on a Bond strap that I had.

The watch is 44mm large, it is coated black with what I think is PVD coating, the finish is actually the same as the steel version meaning an alternating of polished and brushed surfaces which I think distinguish the "Superior" line of watches from the regular SKX/divers. The dial has applied indices that are chrome framed and for sure a notch above the regular painted dials. The watch itself even though it is said to be 44mm it actually slightly smaller then the Sumo and the SRP043, mostly because the lugs are slimmer and not as substantial as the other two. In appearance it ranks between the Sumo and the SKX007 in size which is a welcome thing for me. I was actually hoping it would be even bigger to fill my 8" wrist but it does not look too bad.

As a matter of fact, the design overall reminds me of a military watch, even though not conventional, it still give the impression of being military styled. Probably because of the hands which have the base in black so all you see is two white shafts that kind of float on the dial. They are not however chrome framed for some reason and therefore different from the dial markers. That's not a bad thing to me but puzzling since I would have tried to match these if I had designed the watch. Nevertheless the overall look is very pleasing to me and the military resemblance makes it OK for me that it is that size.

The lugs are 22mm wide and that is very welcome because one can use other straps and be sure they won't look disproportionate to the rest of the watch. They are also drilled through for ease of changing which is another great feature. In comparing the two Stargate watches the black one has smoother crown action but rougher and harder bezel movement. The steel one has rougher crown and smooth bezel operational. This only shows that each watch is it's own watch really. After a day this keeps really good time and so it is performing his basic duty as a watch.

Lume is obviously great since it is Seiko and since it is a Diver's it is also water resistant down to 200m. I think that overall this is one of the very few black watches that I like.

Here are a few photos, I hope you enjoy:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Carlo, I enjoyed reading your thoughts & agree about this model

Enjoyed your review & thoughts, well done mate!

I agree, very Military Styled and love the subdued looks of it, great pics.
Awesome strap choice too...

Here's some of the SKZ various models to look over, and I kinda like the blackout subdued Military style cased model you have shown Carlo!

Seiko 200m divers – SKZ323K, SKZ325K & SKZ327K « Yeoman's Watch Review

Congrats :thumbup1:

Jim

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seiko Blackout

Thank you very much for the kind words. I can definitely recommend this watch model and the other variants with different finish or dial color...

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Thanks Carlo, its a great looking watch & one that I would consider

When you look at it, its so very very similar to the 8L35 Phoenix that I surely would go after the model you posted, it's also alot more cost efficiant. Here's the costly 8L35 Phoenix below, which looks are sleek and pure beautiful, much like the model you posted except for a few differences of movements used, crown position and style, dial differences & of course case make-up differences, but which cost much less than the Phoenix and is a very good value of bang for the buck IMO.

Cheers, :thumbup1:
Jim

Thank you very much for the kind words. I can definitely recommend this watch model and the other variants with different finish or dial color...

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Great photos and review Carlo. Love the Stargate. It has to be one of Seiko's final great 7s26 divers.

Cheers!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seiko Stargate PVD

Thank you and surely I agree. I saw one of these Phoenix Bright watches on sale on the forums for some $1,500. Of course it ls awesome looking and probably greatly finished etc. But then who has that kind of cash? I surely don't. The Stargate actually offers quite a bit that is comparable to that and other similar watches. It is not a cheap piece of crap like some replica's one can find around. It has a real movement that is both reliable and reasonably precise. Once you have a watch that you like and keeps time you can be reasonably happy... I am. :thumbup1:

Of course they are NOT the same watch, they are different. So comparison would only show the differences between these watches. But overall one can have a similar beautiful looks and similar performance for a fraction of the cost. Not only, I can wear these watches with only a little worry of scratches etc. while I would probably never wear a $1,500 watch... :001_tt2:

Maybe if i was rich that would be different, but at this time I can be glad and happy of my Stargate. I have more incoming by the way... will show them soon.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
exactly, and I feel the same way Carlo...

For the cost and what it gives the owner in quality, the Stargate is one fine watch!
:thumbup1:

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts