WATCH TALK FORUMS banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I am quite new to high-end watches and have been learning about movements and and the precision/craftsmanship that goes into this devices. Being familiar with engineering, I must say that I am very impressed with these timepieces.

I will soon be getting my first automatic (non-quartz) watch and have narrowed it down to 2. I was wondering if you guys on the watch forum would be willing to help me with my decision. Here are the two watches:

Omega PS:
OMEGA Watches: Seamaster Planet Ocean - Steel on rubber strap - 232.32.42.21.01.003
Please note that this Omega is the new one released this year. It has a sapphire caseback, is 45.5mm, and the Omega dealer tells me that the movement in this device is not an ETA/Swatch movement, but rather an in-house movement containing a silicon spring. This has allowed them to extend the warranty to 4 years. Price is 5900.

Seiko Ananta Spring-Drive GMT (Black)
Ananta - Spring Drive GMT | SEIKO WATCH CORPORATION
This is the one with no chronograph. Price is 4300.

I am really torn between both of these watches. I wish I could purchase both!
Would you be kind enough to provide input? I assume the readers/contributors on this forum have much more experience than me.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
371 Posts
They are both great watches, I have only heard great things about the cal 8500 in the new Planet Ocean, and about the spring drive movements. So it comes down to which you like better on your wrist. If it was me I would lean towards the Seiko, but on a bracelet.

·
Super Moderator
15,650 Posts
....I will soon be getting my first automatic (non-quartz) watch....
Are you aware that the Seiko is not a true automatic, but in essence a hybrid? The movement has what Seiko calls a Tri-Synchro Regulator. This contains a quartz oscillator which helps control the amount of power sent from the mainspring, giving the Spring Drive its amazing +/= 1 sec./ day accuracy (this is shown and explained on Seiko's website: Google 'Seiko Spring Drive').

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Both watches are quite nice, but I think if you're spending that kind of money, there are a lot better options out there than an ETA based Omega. I think you could get the same Omega in a year for about $2500.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts